Best time to retest?

Bonnie

Although my pony Lad was controlled on 12 mg pergolide in January of this year ( 5 pmol/L) his July ACTH was 20.6 pmol/L.

His dose is now 24 mg pergolide. He has been at this dose for 10 days.

When should his ACTH be retested?

 Bonnie Ivey, Ontario 12/08

Lad , IR/PPID
  ECHistory6

Nancy C

Hi BonnieRecommendtion is 2-4 weeks from reaching target dose.  This is a good read:

Pergolide

Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Group Inc.

---In EquineCushings@..., <bon.ivey@...> wrote :

When should his ACTH be retested?

 Bonnie Ivey, Ontario 12/08

Lad , IR/PPID
  ECHistory6

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Bonnie,

We recommend waiting 2-3 weeks for your targeted dose to achieve full effect. As we are in the seasonal rise this will obviously have affect how the dose works. If this was one of my horses, and unless you see signs that point to an issue, I would wait until late Sept. That way, you are at the height of the rise and can assess more accurately where you stand.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

  ECHistory6

Bonnie

Thank you, Lavinia and Nancy.
Bonnie Ivey Ontario 12/08

beverly meyer

The reference range for ACTH from Cornell is 5 (or 9) to 35.
I'm curious why his ACTH of 20 needed a doubling of dose from 12 to 24 mg. Was something else going on?
Getting ready to retest here too.
Thanks,
Beverly

--
Beverly Meyer, MBA
Clinical and Holistic Nutritionist

Lorna Cane

Hi Beverly,
>The reference range for ACTH from Cornell is 5 (or 9) to 35.

It is 9-35

>I'm curious why his ACTH of 20 needed a doubling of dose from 12 to 24
mg.

I'm not the author of the original post, but different labs have different ranges.
I believe Cornell was not used in this situation.The lab used has a range of 2-10,and is in different units.

Am trying double spacing here to stop NEO from cramming all the words together.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Bonnie

Beverly, as I understand it, Cornell's reference range is different from the University of Guelph's, which is 2 - 10 pmol/L. My vet interprets Lad's ACTH of 20.6 as being twice the upper level of the reference range. She is also trying to get ahead of the seasonal rise. Lad has been without much in the way of symptoms other than coat abnormality, while under treatment. No side effects at all.
We did the same thing last year, when he had an ACTH of 19.5 in July, whereupon we doubled his dose from 6 to 12 mg pergolide, with success. The ACTH had dropped to 5 by January of this year.

I believe Lad is the only patient my vet has that is on pergolide. She keeps up to date with the list's information. We are all in a learning process, and hopefully the pergolide database is going to help many who are on this journey. The expense of medication is difficult and scary for me, but I want to be part of the research.

Bonnie Ivey, Ontario 12/08

Lad, beloved and expensive lab rat

beverly meyer

Thanks for clarifying lab ranges. I didn't pay attention that it was a different lab.
Bonnie, I love your signature for Lad "beloved and expensive lab rat". I can relate....
Beverly Meyer