Hay shopping, 8% ESC + starch?

paulah@...

I will be testing a couple different hays this weekend prior to purchase.  Currently Cory is on a 5.8% and Onyx is on a 10.3%, which is soaked to reduce the sugar.  I know Cory did not do well on the 10.3% and is good on 5.8%, but that hay is not very palatable and Onyx won't eat much of it.  I would like to have one hay, safe for IR and palatable enough for both.

If one of the hays test to 8% ESC+starch and has reasonable palatability for my hay snob Onyx, how do I know if Cory will do well on it?

Thanks!

Paula with Cory (IR) and Onyx (IR/?) in Bucks County, PA, USA

EC 2014     NCRplus2011

Yahoo! Groups

Where is your hay analysis posted so we can take a look at it?
Kathleen (KFG in KCMO)
Director, ECIR, Inc
Missouri, USA
Dec 2005

paulah@...

Hi Kathleen,
I haven't analyzed any new hay yet, just wanted a strategy.  Last year's choices were 10.3%, 8% and 6%.  Is there something besides the ESC + starch I should consider?  I was just going to get the carb analysis done and make sure Onyx will eat the hay before getting the rest of the analysis done.
The hay analysis for what they are currently getting is in their respective files on EChistory 8, links below.
Thanks,

Paula with Cory (IR) and Onyx in Bucks County, PA, USA

EC 2014     NCRplus2011

Yahoo! Groups

---In EquineCushings@..., <katmando@...> wrote :

Where is your hay analysis posted so we can take a look at it?
Kathleen (KFG in KCMO)
Director, ECIR, Inc
Missouri, USA
Dec 2005

Absolutely, Paula. You got my attention when you said your gelding wouldn't eat it. I looked at last year's sample in your history form and I can see why. I've been on a bit of a toot lately about not focusing on only sugar and starch, but to consider all of the aspects of hay, especially the fiber fractions that affect digestibility and palatability. My experience has been that people come to me with help to balance their hay, and while admittedly, sugar and starch are low, the hay is so unpalatable that their horses won't eat it. ADF and NDF are very high in the sample in your folder. It would be considered poor hay based on that alone.
My experience has been (and I've been posting a lot of graphs lately on my Facebook page and on the ECIR Facebook page), is that you don't have to sacrifice quality for low simple sugar and starch. Most horses will turn up their noses at hay when the NDF reaches 65% - as a general rule, I aim for less than 60%. If you need help deciding, just post your analysis where we can see it and we can help you decide.

Kathleen (KFG in KCMO)
Director, ECIR, Inc.
Missouri, USA
Dec 2005