Update on Deb's Cory

Deb Funderburk <hawkhilldeb@...>

Hi group-- I have updated Cory's history, but briefly his blood draw on 8/4 showed an ACTH of 42.2, down but not enough. We have gradually increased his Pergolide to 7mg, as of 8/21. The vet also suggested Metformin, and after researching the files, I decided as long as it didn't affect his appetite, it might help, so he is on 9 1000 mg tabs twice a day. He also gets 5 ml APF a day.

He is still quite painful, although his attitude is still good. I have order Phytoquench and I hope this will help with the pain. My main concern now is that he is so painful I am having a hard time trimming. He is definitely painful in his heels. I am still suspecting that the trim is the key to alleviating the pain.

I ordered the Soft Rides, but they didn't seem to give him any more comfort than the Easyboot RXs. In fact for the the last couple of day, I have left his boots off, because his feet seemed so hot in the evening when I took them off. He doesn't seem to be anymore painful with them off. I have opened his stall back up to the paddock, but he doesn't offer to go out. I have also been icing his feet, but this doesn't seem to make a difference, either.

Suggestions, anyone? Thanks for your help.

Deb and Cory in NC
July 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory5/files/Deb%20Funderburk%20in%20NC/

I agree his hoof photos showed some significant mechanical issues to work on.  It's difficult, but have to approach all aspects of DDT at the same time.Your vet mentioned hyperparathyroidism.  From your hay analysis, this is dietary.  Has the calcium:phosphorus ratio been corrected yet?

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001

hawkhilldeb@...

Thanks for your input, Dr. Kellon.  The analysis of the Coastal hay had a zinc number that was too high and I am in the process of having the hay re-cored and analysed.  So no, the calcium/phosphorus ration is not yet corrected.  I think it is odd that both of the Carolina hays I had analysed had inverted calcium/phosphorus ratios, and Cory has almost always had Carolina hay of one sort or another.  My vet told me that "treatment was vague" so I didn't pursue the hyperparathyroid diagnosis when Cory improved during last winter.Deb and Cory in NC
July 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory5/files/Deb%20Funderburk%20in%20NC/

The inverted Ca:P ratio is very common in NC pastures and hays.  The treatment is simply to balance to the analysis.  There is also sometimes an accompanying fluoride toxicity which may require even more calcium to control/reverse.Eleanor in PA
www.drkellon.com
EC Co-owner
Feb 2001