Pergolide Prescription

I had blood drawn and sent to Cornell recently because Travis is footsore and lethargic.

Latest test results:
Range = Normal range

Insulin 23 Range 10-20
Glucose 85 Range 71-118
ACTH 53 Range 9-35
Leptin 2.9 Range 1-4
T4 1.8 Range .8-2.4

Travis has never had ACTH out of the normal range prior to this.

Our vet is back in town and has recommended Pergolide, apparently he has another client in this group and has no problem with Pergolide as opposed to Prascend and has a great respect for Dr. Kellon and her work so he's asking me to find out her recommendation.

The question is how much, how often?  He'll place the order for me, but I need to know what to tell him.

It looks like ThrivingPets.com may be the best place?

I've searched the files for a list of pharmacies and can't find anything.

Any help is appreciated.

Wallene & Travis in NC
September 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory6/files/Travis%20in%20NC

ThePitchforkPrincess@...

I've searched the files for a list of pharmacies and can't find anything.

Any help is appreciated.

Wallene & Travis in NC
September 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory6/files/Travis%20in%20NC

Hi Wallene,
If you use the ECIR Files Table of Contents and search for "pharmac" there are nine hits.  One of those hits brings you to this section:
Also See:
EC/IR Group Links Section for Pergolide Sources tinyurl.com/yjfykhf
EC/IR Group Database Section for Pergolide Sources, Compounding Pharmacies tinyurl.com/yg4y38b
These do not show up in a Yahoo search of the files as they are in the database and links section of the group where members can add to the list anytime.

-LeeAnne, 03/04

Newmarket, Ontario

ECIR Archivist

ECIR Files Table of Contents

Taken For Granite Art - Original Lightweight Cement Sculpture

ThePitchforkPrincess@...

Rotten Neo (may it be launched into a black hole) clipped my previous message. Here it is in full.  Also want to add that if the links don't work,  take out the word "pets." from the link in the url field when you get a message saying the link Error message.

Hi Wallene,
If you use the ECIR Files Table of Contents and search for "pharmac" there are nine hits.  One of those hits brings you to this section:
Also See:
EC/IR Group Links Section for Pergolide Sources tinyurl.com/yjfykhf
EC/IR Group Database Section for Pergolide Sources, Compounding Pharmacies tinyurl.com/yg4y38b
These do not show up in a Yahoo search of the files as they are in the database and links section of the group where members can add to the list anytime.

-LeeAnne, 03/04

Newmarket, Ontario

ECIR Archivist

ECIR Files Table of Contents

Taken For Granite Art - Original Lightweight Cement Sculpture

Thanks LeeAnn,

The links you sent don't work on my end, and when I select More, the option for database is grey so I can't select it.  When I try to search the table of contents I get a sad face screen.

Even sadder, I'm very tech savvy and work providing software support to poor souls who have NO computer experience lol.

I'm going to just order from thrivingpets.com so I can get this moving.

However, now his question is liquid, powder, or capsules?

And, while we're at it, I've seen the APF is recommended as well?

When I start, should I start at less than 1mg and slowly bring him up?

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Wallene and Travis in NC
September 2012

Lorna Cane

Third try.
Thanks NEO!

Wallene ,lots of folks here like Pet Health Pharmacy:

You want the capsule product.

I can't speak to the APF as none of my boys has had the 'veil'.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Wallene,

Great that you can get the compounded perg - it makes titrating onto the dose so much easier. Many of us use Pet Health Pharmacy:

http://www.pethealthpharmacy.com/

Because he is footsore now and this is the first time ever I would agree that giving the pergolide a try is a smart move. A 1mg dose in capsule form, given once daily, would seem reasonable. Titrating up would be the best bet using .25mg increments and raising the dose every 4 days. See if your vet will give you a script for .25mg and for the 1mg doses. Get (12) .25mg caps and then 30 days of the 1mg, store in the door of the fridge.

APF is an adaptogen manufactured by Auburn Labs that can help with the 'pergolide veil" symptoms. Some horses get the veil, others do not. It is a temporary effect and tapering onto the drug will usually avoid it. None of my boys have ever had veil effects.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

Nancy C

Hi Wallene

This list of pharmacies is in the LINKS section.

Equine Cushings and Insulin Resistance

Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Group Inc.

Thanks Lavinia and Nancy.  It's been ordered exactly as you directed!

Wallene