Ollie Has His Wings 1980-2014

Lorna Cane

Hi Everyone,

Ollie and I met 27 years ago, when he was 7. I was looking for a therapy horse for my little therapeutic riding program. He was looking for a home, because his previous people had left him at a horse trader's farm.

I was so lucky.

He was an Appie X QH, full of heart.

He loved his therapeutic riding role. And his riders and his team loved him back.
Ollie has been blind for several years, first one eye and then the other.His blindness didn't stop him from helping his riders. One of his friends put it well when she said,  "I loved Ollie for his kind heart and his bravery, he never let any disability affect his life."
He also loved his rides in the country, teaching riders how to jump, learning  piaffe and passage, taking kids to pony club shows and Gymkhanas , and just hanging out with his friends.

He brought me to this  group about 12 years ago. He had been diagnosed with PPID/IR, about a year or so before. But I had spent the time fumbling around , believing in marketers saying he had environmental illness. Thanks to this group I learned what to believe and what not to believe ,  and how to ask the right questions.

Ollie dodged the bullet a number of years ago when 5 of his friends sloughed all their hooves, because of Selenium toxicity.He had eaten even more of the mineral mix than the others had  but didn't get touched.

He has overcome fallout from PPID/IR, and blindness.

But this  past week was too much.

Severe colic, strangulation lipoma ,a possible minor stroke - way too much.

One of his friends said,"Today I grieve for wonderful Ollie, a mighty horse that gave children without wings the freedom to fly."

Last Thursday his wonderful vet gave him his wings, and the well-deserved freedom to fly .

In spite of the unspeakable pain of losing him, I feel so lucky to have been able to  keep him from a 'ghastly death.'

And I feel so lucky to have been able to share in his life for 27 wonderful years.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

PapBallou@...

Hello Lorna -

I am very sad to learn of your loss of Ollie.  He could not have had a better home nor better care than what you provided for him.

Linda

Bonnie

So sorry for the loss, Lorna. Truly the longer we know our animals the more precious they become to us. Thank you for sharing his ups and downs to educate us.

Bonnie Ivey, Ontario 12/08

reypunky@...

Oh, Lorna, I'm so sorry about Ollie. But bless you for giving him such a wonderful life. Hugs. Vicki SE/PA11/02

Nancy C

Sweet Ollie.  I am honored to have met him. And to know you, Lorna. Ollie taught many people. As do you.  May the learning continue in his memory.

Remember the good times, as painful as it may be to do so right now. It celebrates his life, your life together,  even as it tears the heart.

Fly free Oliver.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

---In EquineCushings@..., <windybriars@...> wrote :

One of his friends said,"Today I grieve for wonderful Ollie, a mighty horse that gave children without wings the freedom to fly."

Last Thursday his wonderful vet gave him his wings, and the well-deserved freedom to fly .

In spite of the unspeakable pain of losing him, I feel so lucky to have been able to  keep him from a 'ghastly death.'

And I feel so lucky to have been able to share in his life for 27 wonderful years.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Patty Sobel <psobel_gen@...>

What a wonderful tribute to an incredible horse!  My heart hurts each time I read about one of our special companions crossing the Rainbow Bridge.  Yet it is a reminder of our special bonds and the joy from being a part of each other's lives.  Fly free, Ollie.  Hugs to you, Lorna.

Patty and Libby
Laurel, MD
May 2008

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"windybriars@... [EquineCushings]"
Date:Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 5:58 PM
Subject:[EquineCushings] Ollie Has His Wings 1980-2014

[...]

palomino.1982@...

Lorna~

My heart aches for your loss of your special boy. He touched the hearts of many and will live forever in their memories. Fly free, dear Ollie.

Hugs,
Susan
EC Primary Response
SoCal 2007

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Oh Lorna, I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to a very special boy. He couldn't have found a better place to live and share his life, surrounded by people who cared, understood and celebrated what he had to give. May everyone whose heart he touched find healing in the wonderful memories he has left behind.

Peace and hugs to you,

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut

Nappi and George over the Bridge

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

---In EquineCushings@..., <windybriars@...> wrote :

One of his friends said,"Today I grieve for wonderful Ollie, a mighty horse that gave children without wings the freedom to fly."

Last Thursday his wonderful vet gave him his wings, and the well-deserved freedom to fly .

Valeree Smith

Lorna,

Another one of the great ones crosses over.

I am so sorry for your loss but how fortunate you both were to meet each other.

May he continue to watch over his friends and family.

Valeree, GD, Jake &  Annie

Elva J Mico

Dear Lorna,
In spite of the unspeakable pain of losing him, I feel so lucky to
have been able to keep him from a 'ghastly death.' And I feel so
lucky to have been able to share in his life for 27 wonderful years.
What a heartfelt tribute you have given Ollie. Every time one of our precious creatures leaves I cry, remembering the terrible heartache of losing my girl. I have never stopped grieving as I am sure you will not but we learn to cope with them being gone and we learn to cover up our grief. These horses are so special and we all know that many times they will hang on because they know how we will hurt when they leave. How wonderful that he was so loved and left knowing he was loved. The most and best we can give to them. I am so sorry and know that he will always be remembered.

Elva and Angel Satin

Claudia Goodman

Beautiful tribute to a beautiful soul. What a wonderful life he had with you, and you with him. Wishing you comfort during this incredibly hard time.
- Claudia & Silhouette

Pamela Bramell

So sorry to hear that Lorna!  Peace and hugs to you.  He was a very special horse.
Pam in Va
Frosty/STory/Butters/Shaqiraj

Lisa S

Lorna,

What a beautiful tribute to Ollie! He must have been an incredibly amazing horse. I am so sorry for your loss, but so glad that Ollie wound up with a person who completely loved, understood, and appreciated his many gifts.

Lisa in TX
Pookey Bear, IR
June 2010

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I know your grief is bottomless.  We all know.

When you are able though, think of how glorious your and Ollie's story is.  To have been with a horse for 27 years, to the age of 34, puts you in a very elite class.  To have battled PPID and IR for over a third of that life, and ultimately lost him to something unrelated, is an inspiration to all in this group who worry that PPID is a death sentence.

Ollie and Lorna, we all sent you our love, and our thanks.

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001

aet001@...

Lorna, I'm so sorry for your loss.  Hugs and prayers to all.  Fly free, Ollie, green grass and blue skies forever.  Amy in PA '06ish (Herbie IR, Darby, lost beloveds on the HIH site Echo, Dylan, Pebbles, Cherry, Misty who was C/IR)

---In EquineCushings@..., <windybriars@...> wrote :

Hi Everyone,

Ollie and I met 27 years ago, when he was 7. I was looking for a therapy horse for my little therapeutic riding program. He was looking for a home, because his previous people had left him at a horse trader's farm.

I was so lucky.

And I feel so lucky to have been able to share in his life for 27 wonderful years.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

taxwizardsmel@...

So Sorry for your loss. What a lucky horse to have had you as his person.

Shawnee and Melanie

aug 13 Oregon

Deb Funderburk <hawkhilldeb@...>

Lorna, I'm so sorry for your loss. Ollie was one of the first horses I felt I knew from this group. I know he was grateful to have you to care for him. He will never forget you, either.

Deb and Cory in NC
July 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory5/files/Deb%20Funderburk%20in%20NC/

Hannah T

Hi Lorna,
I have never met Ollie and I am new to this group, but your tribute to your special horse brought a tear to my eye. What a wonderful partnership you made together, and what a huge heart he has. You must feel so privileged that he chose to be with you whilst he was here in body. Keep smiling and I am sure your special angel will check in on you from time to time.
Hannah, Uk
Ziggy and Jaffa
1/8/14

Donna Coughlin

How lucky you BOTH were to have found each other. You gave him the freedom to fly, too, and his soaring spirit will be with you forever.  How lucky we all are that he brought you to this group to help so many others.

With love from our little barn to yours,

Donna Coughlin, Duke, Obi and Robin
CT 2009

lindagallipo

So very sorry for your loss, I too just lost my very best friend of 31 years to colic 3 weeks ago already. I got her as a 3 year old, my very first horse and my first time going through this. She also was diagnosed with cushings 5 years ago. It is so hard to walk out my door and not hear her telling me its time to eat. My thanks also to this group for all the information that helped us be together for so long.. Sincerely, Linda (R.I.P. Jazzy ) and Dusty