Chaste Tree

Lauren N

Hey guys! I am going to start my horse on Chaste Tree next week and was wondering how much to give him. He is about 1200 pounds and is also on anywhere from 3mg to 4.5mg of pergalide. I can't seem to find how much to give him online! Can I give it everyday or should it be on and off?
Thanks!!!

Lauren
Arizona
Sept 2014

Lorna Cane

Hi Lauren,

Can you add your case history link to your signature so the volunteers can see the whole picture?

 >I am going to start my horse on Chaste Tree next week and was wondering how much to give him. He is about 1200 pounds and is also on anywhere from 3mg to 4.5mg of pergalide.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Laura Cull

hi Lauren,

I use the product Cushing's Care from Herbs for Horses. it is a Canadian product so I realize not likely the one you are using. anyway, the main ingredient is chasteberry and I think they only add some Omega-3s to the mix. their product is pharmaceutical grade which is important to check regarding the one you are using because that will affect how much to give and the quality and therefore the efficacy. if you can find it get pharmaceutical grade.

they recommend 15 grams per day per horse. I've had my mare on it for 4 months but the company says not to expect complete results on efficacy for 6 months. I had my horses ACTH level checked in late August and I am going to have it rechecked again in late December. if I don't see any change then I will likely put her on pergolide. but the company says they have had great success with it over the 10+ years they have been manufacturing it.

good luck. I always think with horses the herbal route is worth trying.

Laura & Hope
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Oct 2014

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Laura,

You cannot compare the ACTH levels from Aug and Dec to use as a basis for whether the CTB is having any effect or not because the seasonal rise was in effect in Aug and is over in Dec. Most horses will have a lowering of their ACTH due solely to the time of year. More info on our website:

CTB has been found to affect some of the symptoms of PPID, like non-shedding and/or woolly coat, but does not control the ACTH levels long term (if at all) so while it appears the disease is being managed, the ACTH is still running unchecked and causing silent damage that eventually adds up.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

Lauren N

Lorna,

How do I go about uploading his case history? Every time I try I get an error message :( Thank you!

Lauren
Sept 2014
Arizona

Lorna Cane

Hi Lauren,

>How do I go about uploading his case history?

I've taken these directions from one of LeeAnne's messages t help someone else.I'm posting the entire thing because I know there are others with questions.
Upload to Your Folder:
A) Using Old Yahoo Version:

1. Go to the current location for posting NEW case histories. To find the current New History Site see Links to ECIR Case History Sites

2. Click on Create Folder (Yahoo Neo see next section)

3. Name the folder My Name. Use whatever name you wish to use but it should match the name you use on the EC list. For example: Susan C or Susan and Dobbin. NOTE: Do not use any punctuation in the name of the folder. Sooner or later, punctuation will result in a link that will not work and the loss of your folder’s contents.

4. Click on Add File to upload your horse’s Case History

5. Click on the Choose File or Browse button to find the file on your computer, then select the file (using “open” or “choose”)

B) Using Yahoo Neo Version:
1. Go to the current location for posting NEW case histories. To find the current New History Site see Links to ECIR Case History Sites Instructions for Posting and Updating Case Histories Sept 26, 2013

2. Look for the Upload icon:

3. Name the folder MyName. Use whatever name you wish but the folder name should match the name you use on the ECIR main list. For example: Susan C or Susan and Dobbin. Click “Save” to save your folder in the files. *NOTE: Do not use any punctuation or symbols in the name of the  folder. Sooner or later, punctuation /symbols will result in a link that will not work and the loss of your folder’s contents.

4. Find and open your folder

5. Click on Upload button:

6. Find the file on your computer and select the file by clicking on the file name.

7. Click on Open button

8. Type in a description if needed

9. Click on the Save button

You now have your own folder to put your horse’s information in. Save/bookmark your folders’s URL
and include it in your post each time you ask questions on the EC List. This will let ECIR volunteers find
your information quickly. Your Folder URL should look similar to this:

Hope this helps,and that it is not caught up in any new NEO glitches.