High WNV Activity-Give Shot?

lauramollrich

I am really in a dilema as to what to do about giving Pabatsa a WNV injection tomorrow.  San Juan Capistrano has been reported as having a high activity in WNV cases both human and horses.

Do I take my chances and have P get the injections or worry about laminitiss and not get the injection.  Never had to make this decision.  And if I do give the  injection what protocol for him.  I'm on Neo so I am afraid of signing on with my history.

Laura M in Ca

1/2012

Nancy C

Has he handled other shots well? He's never had laminitis, right?  Do you see any symptoms of PPID or currently that would give you pause?

There is always a risk - benefit ratio to consider. Have you talked with your vet? I give my very IR guy WNV/EEE etc.  He handles it well.  I know he would survive contracting any of the insect born diseases.  He's generally outside 24/7.

He usually gets banamine. Recently there has been info that suggests banamine may lower the effectiveness of the shot however, not sure that has been proven.  See this link to thread.

You can also administer anti-histamine before and after.

Hope you can figure out how to sign your posts, Laura.  It really helps us!

Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
http://ecirhorse.org/index.php/equine-cushing-s-and-insulin-resistance-group-inc

---In EquineCushings@..., <lauramollrich@...> wrote :

I am really in a dilema as to what to do about giving Pabatsa a WNV injection tomorrow.  San Juan Capistrano has been reported as having a high activity in WNV cases both human and horses.

Nancy C

I'm sorry Laura - multi-tasking....

That last post should have read "he would NOT survive contracting any of the insect born diseases"

---In EquineCushings@..., <threecatfarm@...> wrote :

  I know he would survive contracting any of the insect born diseases.  He's generally outside 24/7.

Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
http://ecirhorse.org/index.php/equine-cushing-s-and-insulin-resistance-group-inc

des788@pacbell.net

What is the info source for the "high activity in WNV cases both human and
horses?"

The outbreak alert webpage is not reporting any cases in humans or horses
near San Juan Capistrano:

https://www.outbreak-alert.com/alerts/default.aspx

Dianne and Ranger in Palo Alto

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

---In EquineCushings@..., <des788@...> wrote :

What is the info source for the "high activity in WNV cases both human and
horses?"

The outbreak alert webpage is not reporting any cases in humans or horses
near San Juan Capistrano:

= = = =  = =

Your official sources for WNV information are here:

The California Department of Public Health West Nile Virus Website

CDFA > AHFSS > ANIMAL HEALTH BRANCH > EQUINE WEST NILE VIRUS

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001

des788@pacbell.net

Here is another WNV page, maintained by USGS.
http://diseasemaps.usgs.gov/wnv_ca_veterinary.html

Their FAQ states: "the maps on our web site are based on the official data
from the CDC. We receive official updates from the CDC at 3 A.M. every
Tuesday morning (during peak-season we also receive updates every Friday
morning). We then update our 260+ web pages typically well before noon on
the same day we receive the updates. Media reports are sometimes based on
"probable" diagnoses that may later be found to be incorrect. The data we
use to make the maps have been approved for publication by the state health
departments, assembled by the CDC, and then released to us for map
publication. "

The USGS page shows no equine (veterinary) west nile cases in Orange County,
and only a total of 14 WNV cases throughout the entire state year to date.

To me, that seems like the odds of your horse getting WNV are extremely
remote. In addition, there have been no new equine cases since mid
September.

Yay! That said, I still vaccinate mine yearly in any case.

Dianne and Ranger in Palo Alto

fionn@...

I gave Fionn one back in May and he was fine.  I gave it alone, not combined with other shots and gave him a day off from work.    He’s PPID and IR and 18.  There is too much risk here in KY, so I don’t feel like I have a choice.  Every horse is different, of course, and only you can decide.

lauramollrich

San Juan Capistrano Vector Control come to the stable a month ago and checked all the stalls/pens and areas where standing water could be.  There were signs posted in the creek bed regarding high activity.  We were told not to be out at dusk if possible and to wear deet.  The papers and government vector control sites have all stated there is a rise in cases in Los Angeles, Riverside and Orange Counties.  All of the owners are  making sure to have their horses vaccinated.

Laura M in CA
1/2012

lauramollrich

Here is the San Juan Capistrano CA website for Vector Control.  The video gives information on WNV throughout the state of California.

Laura M in CA
1/2012