gut problem

Bonnie

My pony Lad (Welsh, 640 pounds, IR/PPID) has occasional loose bowel movements, always between 9 PM and 9 AM. I will find a couple of cowpies in the stall, and a few times his back end has been soiled with liquid manure. This has persisted all year, happening one to three times a month, never consecutively. Maybe 4 days apart to 3 weeks apart.

He had not shown signs of colic pain until the last episode, October 13.  The substitute caregiver reported he was pacing in the stall and ate little hay. She cleaned him and turned him out, and he was okay a few hours later.

I wondered about fibre: over the year I reduced BP, have recently changed to a less-stemmy hay. It does not seem to have helped. He is digging out grass roots that have crept in at the edges of his PP track, which might involve swallowing some very fine sand.

I am just back from major surgery, trying to find solutions and fix the turnout area. Vet is at a distance, money is tight. Any suggestions where to start ?

Bonnie Ivey

 Yahoo! Groups

Bonnie

Replying to myself here to note that "An error occurred while loading the content".
Our history is in ECHistory8

Bonnie

Let me try that again. Our history file  is in ECHistory 6.
Sorry, typing affected by non-working hand

Bonnie Ivey Ontario 12/08

Lorna Cane

Hi Bonnie,

 >Our history file  is in ECHistory 6.

Here is the link:

Yahoo! Groups

I wish NEO would bog off. I did try to just post the link.

Anyway,please add it to your signature.Makes it much easier for people to find it .

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Bonnie

I went through "my yahoo groups", tried to get on History 6 so I could copy the link or at least write it all down. "Sorry, this is closed". Agh!

Bonnie Ivey

Bonnie

No link appeared, just another error notice. Maybe the Halloween goblins will take Neo away to where it belongs?

PapBallou@...

Bonnie -

Is this the error message you are getting?  If so, you can still click on the underlined Yahoo! Groups in blue and open the link (although what I"ve posted is a screen grab and not the link you are looking for).

Yahoo! Groups

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004

gentpony

Here is the link:

After pasting a link, when that box thingy with the picture appears, immediately click the small "x" at the top R corner inside that little box, and it will (--gosh, -- this IS Neo!! ),  I mean 'should' disappear, leaving you with your original link as text only.

Eva
SE Ontario, March 2005

Bonnie

When is the book going to be released? The one titled "Neo Work-arounds for Dummies"? ;-)

Thanks,
Bonnie Ivey

paulah@...

Hi Bonnie,
Just thought I would share my observations:
My 6 YO Morgan Cory has had issues with really loose manure since I got him as a 2 YO.  His teeth are done twice a year, he is wormed four times a year on my vet's protocol. I use hay pillows as slow feeder bags. If Cory is on straight orchard grass, high fiber or not, he is more likely to get loose.  If I add some timothy, it goes away.  Beet pulp and balance hay cubes make it worse.  IR status (controlled or not) does not correlate with the loose manure. Sugar content of hay also does not correlate.  The loose manure can get bad enough that he gets colicky.  If the weather gets hot, he is anhydrotic and seems to drink a lot to cool  himself off, which makes his manure loose. It is challenging to find the right hay, but if you have a way to experiment, you might find something that helps.
Best regards,

Paula with Cory (IR) and Onyx (IR) in Bucks County, PA, USA

EC 2014     NCRplus2011

Yahoo! Groups

---In EquineCushings@..., <bon.ivey@...> wrote :

My pony Lad (Welsh, 640 pounds, IR/PPID) has occasional loose bowel movements, always between 9 PM and 9 AM. I will find a couple of cowpies in the stall, and a few times his back end has been soiled

ahoo! Groups

Bonnie

Hi Paula,
Thanks for your experience with Cory. Sounds like he is very sensitive to different species. I am unable to experiment with different hays due to location.
Since Lad seems to do okay on average 28 days per month, with sloppy manure on the other days, I think the problem may not be with the mixed grass hay.

Is this common with PPID?

Has anyone tried pre-and/or probiotics as preventative?

Should I test for sand in the gut?

cjjacoby@...

Hi Bonnie,

I've tried now 4 times to respond to this post, and my messages are deleted for some reason.  My horse has same problem.  His gut does best on fresh grass of any species and high fiber hay has always caused loose manure - even hay with drying agents.  However, fresh grass 24/7 is not reasonable for an IR horse. Now, it appears we've identified that sand from eating on dry lot might be a problem that vets never warned us about, even though he's regularly tested for it and levels are always low. We've started implementing psyllium with good results. Ari gets Forco daily for prebiotic and Full Bucket probiotic.  All things being equal, Ar just cannot have high fiber hay - it will always give him the runs.  I live in TX, so this means I have buy orchard and can't use the local coastal. Even Timothy has higher fiber and we can't use it. The recent batches of orchard have contained more dust/dirt in them - hence the psyllium to counteract.

Carol, Aristotle in TX
August 2013
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/echistory7/files/cjjtexas/

---In EquineCushings@..., <bon.ivey@...> wrote :

Has anyone tried pre-and/or probiotics as preventative?

Should I test for sand in the gut?

Bonnie

Thank you, Carol, for persisting in order to answer. I will try the psyllium. If that makes no difference, I will move on to the other things. I want to try only one thing at a time.

How often, and what quantity, have you used?

Bonnie Ivey Ontario 12/08

Ethlyn Vogler

I have a non-IR/PPID mare who had consistently sloppy poops when she came to us.  My vet put her on Metranidozole, and she was on it for a couple years until we weaned her off (I think that balancing her hay contributed to her health).  I have a gelding who has had occasional bouts of loose poop sometimes accompanied by uncomfortable gas just over the last couple of years, one bout so bad that I called out our vet, fearing Potomac....the vet has recommended trying "Succeed" for six months to see if that helps (and short term, I think it has).

Ethlyn in Michigan
2007

(As a postscript, I sadly announce that Dakota, who brought me to this group, was euthanized this past Wednesday.  He had gone down in the paddock & could not get up, needed help to roll over, and once up went down again.  This was the second time in a few days.  He was a 30 year-old Morgan gelding, had been in treatment for PPID since 2007.  Over the last few years, he had presented quite a challenge to keep weight on and appetite up.  He had recently had an abscess which probably hastened his failing just because of the extra stress of walking around on 3 legs....He was a wonderful riding horse, and we had several great years together...I suspect he was magnificent as a youngster...he had the classic Morgan look.  RIP, SWEET BOY....)

ThePitchforkPrincess@...

When is the book going to be released? The one titled "Neo Work-arounds for Dummies"? ;-)

LOL The book isn't coming out Bonnie! However there is help in the files.  Books are great but by the time they get to print they would be obsolete.  There is no way they could keep up with Neo's pace of seeding problems.

If members need help dealing with links check out the document "Link Errors" in this file folder:

-LeeAnne, Newmarket, Ontario

ECIR Archivist 03/2004

Taken For Granite Art - Original Lightweight Cement Sculpture and Memorials

Bonnie

Thank you Ethylin, for sharing your experience. I will read up on these.

So sorry for the loss of your dear Dakota.

Bonnie Ivey, Ontario 12/08

gypsylassie

---In EquineCushings@..., <bon.ivey@...> wrote :

Bonnie, has anyone mentioned Ration Plus yet?  It's a great prebiotic that has helped quite a few horses with  loose manure.  I have Chappie on it full time right now because I'm mixing hay from 4 different sources and the stemmier parts can loosen him up.  Not sure if you can get it up there, but it's in several of the horse supply catalogs.
Laura K. Chappie & Beau
N.IL. 2011

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Ethlyn, so sorry for your loss of Dakota. May the memories of better times replace the current sadness in your heart.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Nappi and George over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

>>>As a postscript, I sadly announce that Dakota, who brought me to this group, was euthanized this past Wednesday.

janieclougher@...

Oh, Ethlyn. I am so sorry for your loss.  Fly free, dear Dakota.

Jaini and crew
BC 09
ECIR mod/support

cjjacoby@...

Hi Bonnie,

Sorry I'm just getting around to answering about the psyllium amounts .  How is your horse's manure currently?  Were you able to find a good pre and probiotic?  We use l/2 c (1/4 for each feeding)  metamucil unsweetened mixed in with minerals for 2-3 days in a row.  Ari doesn't have a problem eating it.  We have sand clear in the cabinet, but it contains molasses. Some folks may use more psyllium and someone may want to chime in here to give a better idea for dosages , but since we have just started this I don't want to make any fast changes.  Ari has no more runnies, so if we continue to use it it will as a prophylactic against sand.  This will be more important as he eats more hay in the winter.