Switching To Compounded Pergolide(and questions!)

Stephanie Stout

Hi Everyone,

My horse was just diagnosed recently with Cushings(super high ACTH) and IR, and I got a box of Prascend to start with. However, he is needing more than 1mg per day(he's at 2.5mg right now and I am seeing how he responds to that) and I can't afford the Prascend at that dosage. So, does anyone use the compounded capsules from Thriving Pets? Is the dosage the same(ie: Is 2.5mg of Prascend is the same as 2.5mg of the compounded)?

I know that you have to be really careful of the shelf-life with the compounded pergolide, how much do you guys order at a time? Has anyone had any problems with feeding the compounded from them? How do you feed the capsules to your picky eaters?

Thanks so much!

Stephanie & King

Oregon

Member since Oct 2014

ferne fedeli

I don't have all the answers to your questions, but have been using Thriving Pets for my Pergolide for several years now.  I always only buy 30 days worth at a time and keep it on the refrigerator door, as has been recommended.  I have no complaints.  Their service is quite quick.  I use the postal service and usually get the capsules in about 3 days here in California.  The dosage for the compounded should be the same as the Prascend.
Ferne Fedeli
No. California
4/2010

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 10:39 AM, KWPNDRESSAGE@... [EquineCushings] <EquineCushings@...> wrote:

[...]

This is Ferne Fedeli again.  I realized that you also asked how to feed to picky eaters.  I should be an expert on that, but am continually stumped!!!  My Icelandic has eaten them in a prune just fine for months and then would not touch, so changed to a handful of the Stabul 1 pellets.  After a few weeks refused those.  My last thing was to give it in a slice of carrot that I hollowed out the middle a bit and stuck the capsule in.  So far he has liked that, but probably shouldn't even give him that much carrot, as he has laminitis again...  If someone else has some brilliant ideas, let us know!!!
[...]

Nancy C

Hi Stephanie

How does compound compare to Prascend in the field is a big, big conversation. As always, we  are need members to tell us their experiences.

Reports have been:
  • Prascend did not control their horses ACTH
  • The ACTH improved when switching pharmacies
  • The ACTH improved when going onto Prascend
  • The ACTH improved when increasing dosage beyond what BI recommends as the optimum dose of pergolide (3-5mg)
  • The ACTH improved when changing dose delivery (ie, AM or PM or split or not split)
Some of these reports have been varified by back up blood work, others are only based on view of symptoms. There are probably other variations of above that I hope others will add but you may get the idea.  If you want to read more about experiences, we have reports in the files:

You may not be able to go dose for dose switching to compound.  You need to be vigilant.

There is no one pharmacy recommended by ECIR. The ECIR recommendation is to use a reputable pharmacy.  In the LINKS section is a list of  businesses that have been reported as serving member needs well.

Scroll down to Pharmacies.

I have recently swithced to Pet Health and been very happy.

Recommendation is to buy caps 30 days at a time and store int eh door of the frige.

As for getting the pergolide caps in them, a handful of Nuzu works well. I use a feed bag b/c I give several other pills and I know they all got to where they needed to go.

HTH

Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
http://ecirhorse.org/index.php/equine-cushing-s-and-insulin-resistance-group-inc

---In EquineCushings@..., <KWPNDRESSAGE@...> wrote :

Is the dosage the same(ie: Is 2.5mg of Prascend is the same as 2.5mg of the compounded)?

Stephanie Stout

Thank you all for replying. I am going to do my research and get some compounded ordered tomorrow. Would you guys switch slowly(half Prascend/half compounded) for a couple days or just switch full on(one day all Prascend, next day all compounded)? He's on 2.5mg of Prascend right now, and I'm thinking I might have to raise him up to 3mg in the next couple days to make sure this laminitis stops and get his levels down.

Thanks again.
Stephanie & King
Member since Oct 2014
Oregon

Stephanie Stout

PS: I started him on APF and it is definitely helping. He is more alert and perky! So, thanks to everyone that mentioned it!

Nancy C

Hi Stephanie

I have switched directly one from or to the other without issue. At the time I went from compound to Prascend the dose was lower.  8 mg Compound to 5 mg Prascend if I remember correctly. When going the other way, went one-for-one, and if increase was needed, then went on with titrating up.

As I've said before 5 mg of Prascend did not control the ACTH.

Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Group Inc.

Tina Martin

"My last thing was to give it in a slice of carrot that I hollowed out the middle a bit and stuck the capsule in.  So far he has liked that, but probably shouldn't even give him that much carrot, as he has laminitis again...  If someone else has some brilliant ideas, let us know!!!
Ferne Fedeli"

Ferne,

I use roasted and salted peanuts.  Crack the shell, stick the pill in it and feed it.  All of my horses love those peanuts and love to eat them including the shell.  It's a great safe treat.  No sugar and lots of protein!

Tina
Atlanta, May 2011

Claudia Goodman

---In EquineCushings@..., <KWPNDRESSAGE@...> wrote :
>So, does anyone use the compounded capsules from Thriving Pets? Is the dosage the same(ie: Is 2.5mg of Prascend is the same as 2.5mg of the compounded)?   I know that you have to be really careful of the shelf-life with the compounded pergolide, how much do you guys order at a time?

I've used Thriving Pets capsules for the last two months. I went from 2mg of Prascend to 3mg compounded Pergolide earlier in the seasonal rise when her ACTH rose to 79. Then increased to 3.5mg compounded when her ACTH retested at 61. I order 30 days of supply and keep refrigerated. I cannot be sure the compounded is as accurate as the Prascend, but like many, I cannot afford to increase using Prascend. My mare appears to be doing well, so I believe the compounded product is at least close in accuracy. Thriving Pets was recommended by others as well.
(I intend to use Prascend for .5 to 1 mg increases if needed in between reordering compounded.)

> Has anyone had any problems with feeding the compounded from them? How do you feed the capsules to your picky eaters?

I use a handful of LMF low carb stage one pellets, pushing the capsule into the middle of pellets. (My mare loves these pellets.) I watch the ground to make sure it does not fall out of her mouth (it never does). This works beautifully for us.

Claudia & Silhouette 2014 California

ferne fedeli

Hey, I haven't tried peanuts yet.  Good idea!  I have used the Stabul1 pellets, prunes, Beetibites crumbles, etc.  He is always fine with whatever I give it in for awhile--sometimes for months--but then one day he refuses to take it.  Mr. Picky!!!  I'll get some peanuts tomorrow.  Thanks for the idea!
Ferne Fedeli
No. California
4/2010