when to re-test ACTH

chf1752@...

My pony has been on 1mg of pergolide for the past month (started 9/30). The vet's instructions say to retest in 3-6 months. She had little appetite for most of the month, but that could have been due to ulcers. Its recently picked back up again and she's eating well. She's pretty much back to her normal self, even running and playing with her herd mates. On the outside, things look pretty good.

I'm currently looking for a new vet, since the one I've been using refused to give me a prescription for pergolide. She wants to charge me $125 for ~45 days of compounded pergolide. The container wasn't sealed when I got it, and it looks like I'll be running out of it before the 60 days on the label.

Basically, its a matter of when do I start calling new vets to make an appointment. If its not too early to re-test her, then I'll get right on that next week. Or if its too soon to really know, then I can hold off. I'm just trying to figure out how to get the best quality care for her at the least cost.

I tried to search the group, but neo won't show me more than a couple posts. Also having neo issues with looking in the files.

If I can get a new vet to come out in the next week or two, is that too soon to recheck her ACTH?

Erin

ME

janieclougher@...

Hi, Erin - Virtually all horses will have responded to the pergolide by 17 days (some much sooner) so you can re-test in 3 weeks to find out if the dose is controlling her ACTH. Meaning, you can re-test now; it's not too soon.

Glad she is feelng better!  And yes, the new Neo makes many basic tasks on the list (like searching) difficult or impossible.

Jaini and crew
BC 09
EC mod/support

-

If I can get a new vet to come out in the next week or two, is that too soon to recheck her ACTH?

Erin

ME

chf1752@...

Thanks Jaini!

Times like this I really miss the old Yahoo.

Erin

ME

2014

Yahoo! Groups

Nancy C

When you can't get to the FILES b.c of NEO, go to ecirhorse.org.  A lot of the same docs are there.

Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup