Price and sources for Pergolide

WATKINS@...

Dear Friends,
I have gotten feed back about my severely IR, Cushings and diabetic pony (thank you Lavinia). He needs 3mg of Pergolide per day. My question is about the price. I pay $144. per box of 60 tablets which will treat him for 20 days. Is this the going rate for this product or is there a cheaper source for the same thing. I will willingly pay what is necessary, but I dont want to be foolish. I do understand that this product must be ordered through my vet. I have replaced the red salt block with a white one and will start him on the Pergolide (reduced dose), vitamine E and ground flax seed today. Thanks for the help of this list. I look forward to a happier pony.
Carol and Beatle
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/echistory8/files/Beatle.doc

Mandy Woods

Hi Carol,
I use Pet Health Pharmacy for compounded pergolide gel caps.  They charge $31.41 for 3 mgs/30 days.  The shipping is $6.25.  Total is $37.66.    I use autoship/charge so I don’t forget to order.

The phone number is 800-742-0516  or

Your vet can call in an rx for you **IF** he wants to.  Some states don’t require him to do so/some do.

Mandy in VA
EC Primary Response
OCT 2003

Mandy Woods

Carol,
Here is the page in the file regarding which state will allow you to order meds through your vet.

Mandy in VA

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Carol,

That sounds like the vet is prescribing Prascend, the patented form of the drug. It is quite expensive, although if you can get the vet to write a script instead of dispensing it himself the best price available is around $51 per 30 caplets.

There is also the compounded version of the drug available. If your vet is willing to write the script for you, it can be ordered as any size dose that is needed vs having to use multiple caplets with the Prascend. As Mandy mentioned, the price is quite reasonable for the compounded from many reputable pharmacies. Many of us use Pet Health Pharmacy, which Mandy provided the link to. Unless things have changed, unfortunately WI does not require that vets provide a script to their clients in lieu of dispensing the meds themselves but if you have a good relationship with your vet he may be willing to help you so you can better help Beatle without needing to "mortgage the farm". We recommend getting the capsule form, only ordering 30 days at a time and storing it in the door of the fridge.

You might also ask your vet about starting Beatle on metformin temporarily, while you are working on getting the PPID under control as his insulin and glucose levels are so extremely high. It doesn't always work, and if it does the effect is only temporary, but may be a consideration here to help get the laminitis/founder and weight loss issues turned around more quickly. Dose would 30mg/kg, twice daily.

Also would encourage you to get pics of his feet posted for us into the Photo section of ECHistory8 as it sounds like there are some trim issues that need to be resolved.Here is the link to how to take good pics:

http://www.all-natural-horse-care.com/good-hoof-photos.html

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

Deb Funderburk <hawkhilldeb@...>

Hi Carol-- If you do decide to try the Metformin you may have some trouble getting it into Beatle. I found that syringing it in (if he will let you) is the best way, but the pills need to soaked in water for twelve hours before they melt enough to be mashed up.

Lavinia, I see that you say the effect is only temporary. I had forgotten this and I wonder if you could elaborate. Cory has been on it for several weeks and I wonder now if it is helping any at this point.

Deb and Cory in NC
July 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory5/files/Deb%20Funderburk%20in%20NC/

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Deb,

The Metformin may or may not work at all. Some horses show improvement while others do not. It is not a long-term solution as it's effectiveness does wane over time - anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.

Check these past posts:

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

WATKINS@...

Hi
Thanks Lavinia for info about other sources for Pergolide. You mentioned a source that charges $51.00 for 30 pills. Could you please give me the contact information. My vet said she would be happy to write a perscription for me. This will save me nearly $800. per year. Once I get Beatle healthy again maybe I will switch to the compounded product. Thanks for all of your help.
Carol and Beatle in SW Wisconsin

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Carol,

Check this source:

http://www.californiapetpharmacy.com/prascend-1mg-160ct.html?productid=prascend-1mg-160ct&channelid=FROOG

The savings are based on purchasing multiple packages at a time but as you are titrating up to 3mg per day the number you need tp purchase for the price will last a bit less than 2 months.