direction needed please

bigwhitevan2002

Groupies,

I know I was supposed to be posting ponys latest feet pics up weeks ago, and I am sure all were anxiously awaiting such, but people and things keep dying around me,I don't mean to sound callous but emotional removal is warranted at times..

Pony feet are okay i will soon have feet pics up ( i feel i have posted this before)

Question off topic help direction needed

Richie, our gelding-- some might remember and be familiar with as Dr. Kellon helped so much with his foaling 7 years ago, has PSSM , NATURALLY , BECAUSE we are not allowed by the" horse powers that be" to have even one normal horse in our herd of four. ( except the ARAB but you all know how she will turn out being an Arab and all)

all our  horses have been on low sugar/starch hay etc etc etc-except just switched last night to " down the road hay" as I simply can not/ will not be able to procure the low S/s hay for a while -- ran out of vitamin E a month or so ago and with all of life going on haven't bothered to replace

 he had a very very bad tying up today, would a new hay cause an episode so quickly?? will probably up his selenium he only get minumin in his CAL TRACE  I know most of the protocol for managing this condition, but would like more direction and information from folks I trust

any help would be appreciated,

Mods thanks for indulging me

anyone who can point me in a right direction ( email jcallenw8@...) much appreciation..

Julie

with Pony in Oregon

06

Sara Gooch

 Hello Julie,

Not a moderator, but I do have a PSSM/IR/PPID mare. And I apologize to the moderators for being OT.

 There is a EPSM/PSSM  Yahoo group that can give you help and direction. It's similar to this Cushings group.  You mentioned that you were out of Vitamin E.....I've found that for my type 2-PSSM mare keeping her on 3 - 4 grams of vitamin E helps keep her moving freely. And, the new hay might be the source of the problem. You might want to soak it to see if that helps the tying up issues. Lots of info on the EPSM/PSSM site.

Good luck.

Sara

NE Calif. 2011

bigwhitevan2002