Taurine

peggyomdahl

Can someone tell me what the dosage is for taurine,  in terms of teaspoons please

Nancy C

Hi Peggy

Would you tell us why are you wanting to feed taurine?

Please help us by signing your name, general location and date of joining.

Thanks!!!!!

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

FACT: With knowledge of the nutrient profile of the forage and the animal's weight and level of work, one can supplement only what is needed to target nutritional needs.  See  Smithey and Gustafson, Nutrition Complexities and Mineral Profiles of Hay 2013 NO Laminitis! Proceedings, www.ecirhorse.org

peggyomdahl

I read a article written by Dr Kellon stating that taurine has been shown to help with IR in recent studies.  So I got some from my best horse but I don't know how much to give.

I think I joined in 2004 but am not sure

Peggy in Minnesota

gypsylassie

You could try emailing Joan at My Best Horse.
Laura K, Chappie & Beau
N.IL.2011

Nancy C

Peggy

Would love to know which article you were reading.  A lot of us use Methionine in out custom supplements, a precursor to taurine according to Dr Kellon in this article.

Resources - The Many Functions of L-Methionine in the Equine Diet - Uckele Health & Nutrition

Most of the discussion about taurine on ECIR yahoo has been about it's calming qualities.

Might you have a link to the article you read?

Thanks!

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

FACT: Insulin resistance (IR) is the failure of insulin sensitive cells to respond to “normal” levels of insulin.  See E. M. Kellon, VMD, Diagnosis of Insulin Resistance and PPID, 2013 NO Laminitis! Proceedings, Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Group Inc.