International Volunteers Day

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Most of you know that the ECIR Group was started by our Founder Robin Siskel in December 1999.  The group was born out of a desperate need for solid, scientific information and solutions to help horses with Cushing’s Disease. It was through Robin’s initial determination that the ECIR Group did not simply become another internet chat group.

As membership grew, the need for volunteers to help ECIR Group work as originally intended, became more and more important. It became clear early on that a dedicated group of members, willing to donate many hours of time per week, were needed to meet the growing number of people who sought help from the group. Reaching out with solid information, education and support in a time of crisis was critical. ECIR standards demand the best possible advice, born from the facts as they are currently known.

Around the year 2007, from this group of core volunteers, came the suggestion to form a nonprofit corporation to expand efforts to reach more people and bring significant ECIR data to light.

In 2013, The Equine Cushing’s and Insulin Resistance Group Inc., an Arizona-based nonprofit corporation, was duly recognized as a 501(c)3, and is now able to collect tax-deductible donations.

Many changes have taken place over the years: new members coming into three Yahoo groups, eight Case History groups, the addition of two web sites, NO Laminitis! Conferences, proceedings on IVIS, the recordings, and outreach on Facebook.  The ultimate purpose of these combined outreach efforts, supported by the nonprofit, remains as it was first designed 14 years ago -- to spread accurate, unbiased information, regarding PPID and IR.

ECIR Group hovers at 12,000 international members on Yahoo outreach alone.   By collecting histories and laboratory data from thousands of horses with PPID and IR, we have been able to carefully monitor responses to treatment and management changes, both good and bad. This is real life, in-the-barn, research at its best. It is also the largest field trial in the world.  No one else has what the ECIR Group has.

There is much more to come. This work can not be done without the help of a growing group of passionate volunteers, many of whom you have never seen.

Today on International Volunteer Day, I’d like to personally say thank you.

ECIR Yahoo Outreach Primary Responders
Lavinia Fiscaletti
Cheryl Hooper
Maggie Rogers
Mandy Woods
Linda and Susan

ECIR Yahoo Outreach Moderators
Lorna Cane
Jaini Clougher, BSc, BVSc
Nancy Collins

ECHorsekeeping Support
Carol Layton
Teresa Palumbo
Valeree Smith

ECHorsekeeping Moderators
Claire Cox- Wilson
Susanna R. Gordon, MD, DABR
Patti Kuvik

ECHoof Moderator
Lavinia Fiscaletti
Linda

ECIR Archivist
LeeAnne Bloye

ecirhorse.org Admin Support
Susan

Web Masters
Patti Kuvik

Graphics
Allana Kereluk

Social Media, Marketing, Advertising
Fran Metzger

Accounting
Ardito, Toscano and McCollum, P.C.

2013 NO Laminitis! Conference Volunteers
Sharon Andersen
Lorna Cane
Kristen Chavez
Jaini Clougher, BSc, BVSc
Nancy Collins
Susie Cranney
Kathleen Gustafson, PhD
Joan Kulifay
Sandy Hollingsworth
Janet Librizzi
Alice Levey
Valletta Lochridge
Cindy McGinley
Jan and Dennis Monstad
Jannalee Smithey, EDO

ECIR Group Inc. Volunteer Board of Directors
Jaini Clougher, BSc, BVSc, President
Nancy Collins, Treasurer
Jannalee Smithey, EDO, Secretary
Kathleen Gustafson, PhD
Fran Metzger

Founding Directors
Claire Cox-Wilson
Patti Kuvik

...and to all other volunteers who continue to give so generously of their time.

Lastly, but by far the most important,  thank you to the horses and their owners who have sought out and supported the ECIR Group by contributing their data.  It cannot be done without you.

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001

wjjbean

So humbled by the help I received from this group with my Ursila who I lost in 2008.

Thanks to all the volunteers who continue their work - and to you Dr. Kellon who practically saved my life.

xow

To: EquineCushings@...
From: EquineCushings@...
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 12:10:07 -0800
Subject: [EquineCushings] International Volunteers Day

[...]

rdfornwalt@...

Thank you to everyone!  It's fabulous what you are doing to support these owners and their horses.

skholly@...

Thank Dr. Kellon, but I think you are the one we should all be thanking for all the valuable information you share with horse owners all over the world.  So Thank you and Happy trails, Sandy Hollingsworth, Talent, OR - Owner of 2 Happy Health, Low sugar hay, balanced mineral eating hay burners.:)

> [...]

ECIR Group Inc. Volunteer Board of Directors
Jaini Clougher, BSc, BVSc, President
Nancy Collins, Treasurer
Jannalee Smithey, EDO, Secretary
Kathleen Gustafson, PhD
Fran Metzger

Founding Directors
Claire Cox-Wilson
Patti Kuvik

...and to all other volunteers who continue to give so generously of their time.

Lastly, but by far the most important,  thank you to the horses and their owners who have sought out and supported the ECIR Group by contributing their data.  It cannot be done without you.

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001

Lorna Cane

>Thank Dr. Kellon, but I think you are the one we >should all be thanking for all the valuable information >you share with horse owners all over the world.

Absolutely!
 I've been looking for the words to say how grateful we are,and how grateful for our horses we are, to know you.
It's an understatement to say you are in the horse's corner. Every horse'scorner.
Words can't begin to describe what that means,where you are concerned,Dr. Kellon.
I can think of some - relentless,unfaltering,non-judgmental, objective,generous,brilliant,intuitive,tenacious - but I was right in the first place.
Words can't begin to uncover the entire picture.

With all my heart , and for horses everywhere, thank you.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Cindy McGinley

   Yep. We love you!

- Cin, Dare, Saffron, Henry, Lady B, Deirdre, Lily, & Ted

Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 6:27 AM

>Thank Dr. Kellon, but I think you are the one we >should all be thanking for all the valuable information >you share with horse owners all over the world.

Absolutely!
I've been looking for the words to say how grateful we are,and how grateful for our horses we are, to know you.
It's an understatement to say you are in the horse's corner. Every horse'scorner.
Words can't begin to describe what that means,where you are concerned,Dr. Kellon.
I can think of some - relentless,unfaltering,non-judgmental, objective,generous,brilliant,intuitive,tenacious - but I was right in the first place.
Words can't begin to uncover the entire picture.

With all my heart , and for horses everywhere, thank you.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

I agree - we should be thanking Dr. Kellon for helping us help our horses.  Words cannot express how grateful I am.

Jean and Amber
in South Carolina
member since August 2004 (10 years)

Nancy C

Amen, Lorna.

Thank you, Dr Kellon

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003
Hear Drs Kellon and Bowker and more, in eight hours of great info and informative Q&A from 2013 NO Laminitis! Conference.

2013 Proceedings & Recordings Table of Contents

---In EquineCushings@..., <windybriars@...> wrote :

I can think of some - relentless,unfaltering,non-judgmental, objective,generous,brilliant,intuitive,tenacious - but I was right in the first place.
Words can't begin to uncover the entire picture.
******

janieclougher@...

I also want to add my profound thanks to all the volunteers. This group saved my horses' lives.

To ECIR founder Robin Siskel, and ECIR Yahoo Co-owner, Dr Eleanor Kellon, thank you, thank you, thank you for the vision and freely given years of volunteer hours.

Here is a quote from Dr. Kellon that pretty much says it all:

 “You know those credit card commercials that run through a bunch of things with price tags and end with a moment that's "priceless"? That is truly how I feel every time a new member comes here frazzled or wired and strung out after being told their horse, pony, donkey or mule should be euthanized and then later tells us about the light coming back in their eyes, those first voluntary steps out of a stall, the first spontaneous trot, buck or canter or when the feet start to concave and a hundred other positive signs of getting well. Most of all, it's about the animals.”

Robin and Eleanor, you are both the bee's knees! And I am repeating Lorna's words, because they are so true:

I can think of some - relentless,unfaltering,non-judgmental, objective,generous,brilliant,intuitive,tenacious - but I was right in the first place.
Words can't begin to uncover the entire picture.

Jaini (BVSc),Merlin,Maggie,Gypsy
BC 09
ECIR mod/support
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ECHistory/files/Jaini%20Clougher%2C%20Smithers%20BC/

PapBallou@...

AMEN!

Pap Ballou

Lorna Cane

Here is a quote from Dr. Kellon that pretty much says it all:

 “You know those credit card commercials that run through a bunch of things with price tags and end with a moment that's "priceless"? That is truly how I feel every time a new member comes here frazzled or wired and strung out after being told their horse, pony, donkey or mule should be euthanized and then later tells us about the light coming back in their eyes, those first voluntary steps out of a stall, the first spontaneous trot, buck or canter or when the feet start to concave and a hundred other positive signs of getting well. Most of all, it's about the animals.”

Fine.

Now I'm reduced to tears.

Of joy.

But thanks, Jaini, for reminding us of her words.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Leigh Jacobs

It is to this group of wonderful, knowledgeable people, that I have to give thanks.  Ace would not be here if not for the information that you all have shared.  And Shadow is avoiding the dreaded laminitis (so far!) thanks to that information.  I give thanks to my vet and boss who kept saying that I needed to look into the group.  If not for him, I would have lost Ace.  My continuing hope is that this group can continue to help new, desperate owners educate themselves and the vets out there that do not know, understand, or are so swamped in information that they lose sight of the goal:  A live horse, living comfortably and for many of us still capable of taking us on adventures.
Leigh, Ace and Shadow
Tucson, AZ
2011

On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 10:59 AM, "windybriars@... [EquineCushings]" wrote:

[...]

Donna Coughlin

Amen is exactly right. We here (with our little backyard barn) are so thankful to everyone who researches, answers posts and pleas, holds hands and hooves, offers cyber wine and chocolate along with so much sound scientific advice. Because of you all, I have three healthy horses, including poster child, ancient mini Duke. We are all forever, deeply grateful!!!!

THANK YOU ALL!

Donna Coughlin, Duke, Robin Goodfellow and Oberon
CT 2009

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I just want to emphasize that each and every person on this group is important.

There is no way we could do what we do with only one person manning the group.  Not only would that one person starve to death from 24/7 work as an unpaid volunteer, they would not be able to keep pace with the need and certainly wouldn't have any time to organize or move things forward.

There have also been priceless pieces of information coming from members. The practice of soaking hay to lower sugars came from a member of this group who was trying soaking to lower iron and noted it reliably reduced sugar.  An agronomist in the group at the time suggested this was a "duh" moment since rained on hay had lower sugar but the bottom line was that soaking to reduce sugar had never been suggested before our member reported it. Studies on the effect of soaking continue to this day.

The fall rise in ACTH that is such an integral factor in how we manage PPID horses was first suspected and documented by the veterinarian of one of our owners - before it ever appeared in an article.

I had long suspected a role for iron in IR because of what is known to occur in humans and other species, but the proof was only possible because members got involved and tested their horses.

This group was a really exciting place in the early days of IR when the veterinary  community at large dismissed it.  Now that IR is mainstream, it's not so high energy but the sheer volume of the information here can provide new insights on an ongoing basis.

YOUR INFORMATION IS CRITICAL in moving understanding forward in a way that small formal studies cannot.  We cannot usurp formal studies, but we sure can direct them to confirm what we see.  Fill out a case history.  Check out the polls and databases.  We need you.

A university associated vet recently said owner observations were "suspect at best".  Our view point is exactly the opposite.  No one is more qualified to report their animal's condition than an involved owner.  Speak up.

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001

bigwhitevan2002

---In EquineCushings@..., <drkellon@...> wrote :

> [...]

So true Dr. K , but I'm not letting you put down your 'super hero  cape ' that easy,  I am convinced you never sleep...

Thank you for being the veterinary voice of reason, knowledge, and scientific basis,  when the tides of doubt are assailing my ( our) ears as so spoken by a majority of the main stream Veterinarians ,

My hat is off to you and all the dedicated people on this list,  who have helped me in the past 10 years in managing several different horses and ponies...

here's  to another 10 more....( I cannot believe I just said that  LOL, but  getting off this list would be so , so....uncomplicated and  boring.)

With much gratitude to all,

Julie in Oregon,
 with Pony, Richie , Kayla, Durango (rip) KoKo ( rip) and many more who have been assisted in the proper protocols due to the selfless dedication of all....

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001

Laura Cull

I only joined a couple of months ago but I am deeply grateful for this group and the dedicated volunteers. EC is a devastating diagnosis to come to terms with. Without this group I don't know how I would have sorted through all the information and misinformation to figure out how to best take care of my beloved horse.
Thank you so much for all your dedication.

Laura & Hope
Oct 2014
Kelowna, BC, Canada