Pentosan safe for IR & PPID?

Stephanie Stout

Hi All,

I tried searching the previous messages, but I think I'm having operator error. So, sorry is this has already been discussed, but is Pentosan(Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium AQ 250mg/mL from Wedgewood via IM) safe for horses newly diagnosed with IR & PPID? He's on 4mg, upping to 4.5mg this week, of Pergolide along with his APF.

Thanks so much!

Stephanie & King

Oregon

Member since Oct 2014

palomino.1982@...

Hi Stephanie!

Here is a post from Dr. Kellon Jan 2012:

Yes, it's safe, although would stop Jiaogulan, if using it, for 2 to 3 days before and 2 to 3 days after to avoid worsening any coagulation issues.

This drug is *not* FDA approved in this country. It is similar to Adequan but has some properties different from Adequan:

http://www.equineortho.colostate.edu/pdf/pentosan_polysulfate.pdf

Wedgewood Pharmacy has the exclusive compounding rights for the stable at room temperature drug, but there may be other compounders offering it without that stability claim.

Took me a couple tries on 'search'...so likely a Neo error and not operator error!
Neo continues to toss that proverbial monkey wrench around!

Susan
EC Primary Response
So Cal 2007

Stephanie Stout

Thank you very much, Susan! Glad that he can have it, he will be very happy!

Stephanie & King
Oregon
Oct 2014