Testing

Heather Leonard

Hi,

Recently, I had some body work done on my horse and it was suggested that I evaluate her for Cushings.  I had started to suspect that she may be showing signs indicative of this disease.  I want to make sure that I test her correctly.  The body worker suggested that I run an ACTH/Insulin, Leptin and Glucose.  Are those the correct tests to run?  Any others that should be run?  Plan is to send the blood to Cornell.  I just read all the files in the files section that I thought pertained to running blood work, but may have missed some.  Just wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything special that needed to be done when the blood was pulled and/or sent.  Am I correct that horses do not need to be fasted and can have free choice hay up until the blood test?  If on beet pulp, 4 hours post meal is ok correct?

Thank you!

Heather

Mass

2000

janieclougher@...

Hi, Heather - You are correct: ACTH, insulin, leptin and glucose.  ACTH pulled into a purple-topped tube; others into serum separator tubes. All spun within 4 hours, separated, frozen overnight then sent to Cornell.  You are also correct in that it is non-fasting; have hay in front of them up until the blood test; and test 4 hours after the first meal of the day.  If they have free-choice hay all night, then no need to wait the 4 hours.

Let us know how it turns out :)

Jaini (BVSc),Merlin,Maggie,Gypsy
BC 09
ECIR mod/support