leptin interpretation -- how high can you go?

Elva J Mico

On 12/11/2014 4:10 AM, kerry.isherwood@yahoo.com [EquineCushings] wrote:
Thank you so much, ladies, for your swift assurances that my gelding
is indeed not the outlier of leptin resistance that I fretted over.
He is, in fact, in good company it seems! :)

I find it very interesting that my 20yo mare--the quintessential IR
model whose fat pads have their own fat pads--had a leptin of only
4.19 at her highest, while my svelte gelding, who has many times been
mistaken for a Thoroughbred, is in perfect body condition w/o a trace
of any visible fat on him, yet has a leptin of >8.
My Tennessee Walker, Whiskey, has a leptin reading of 16.....I have not yet figured out how to lower it.

Elva and Angel Satin
2004/NM

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Dr. Cartmill was the first to make the correlation between high leptin and IR in horses.  His dissertation is here:

http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-04152004-095658/unrestricted/Cartmill_dis.pdf

I'm not ruling out a role for gabapentin in this yet.

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001

Kerry Isherwood

Thank you so much, ladies, for your swift assurances that my gelding is indeed not the outlier of leptin resistance that I fretted over. He is, in fact, in good company it seems! :)

I find it very interesting that my 20yo mare--the quintessential IR model whose fat pads have their own fat pads--had a leptin of only 4.19 at her highest, while my svelte gelding, who has many times been mistaken for a Thoroughbred, is in perfect body condition w/o a trace of any visible fat on him, yet has a leptin of >8.

Just when you think you know horses.... ;)

Thank you,
Kerry in NY
Sept 2014

Claudia Goodman

My Morgan mare's Leptin level was 8.8 back in February. I have been able to keep her insulin levels down right around mid-range (non-fasting) and she has been doing well. I will retest her Leptin in a few months to monitor change.

Claudia & Silhouette 2014 California

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Kerry,

Know of one member whose mini came back with a leptin of 15.66 so yours is not that bad in comparison.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

chf1752@...

Bella's leptin was 10.89 back in 2011. Insulin 79.66, glucose 88 and ACTH 24. All done at Cornell. Fat and blubbery like a walrus, over 200lbs overweight. She was ~20 years old at the time. She's a large pony, most likely a Welsh Cob/Arab cross.

3 years later and massive diet and lifestyle modifications have gotten that 200lbs off her, but she does have those residual fat pads. Any time she's stressed, they puff up again.

Her most recent glucose came back at 70, and I'm waiting on her insulin results.

Erin
ME
2014
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/echistory8/files/Bella/

Leigh Jacobs

Hi Kerry,
My 20+yo Shadow's leptin is >9 ng/ml.  Based on some reading of human research papers, I am correlating it to his huge, nondiminshing appetite.  He is a TWH, so called easy keeper and has not had out of normal insulin or glucose values.  He is not PPID.  However, based on what I have read from Cornell and this group, I am treating him as an IR horse, increasing his fiber, decreasing his concentrates, and trying to get him turned out every day, or ridden.  He is a jumpy/nervous horse, but I have always attributed it to his young years in the show ring.  Makes me wonder if the people in leptin studies have issues as well???
Leigh, Ace and Shadow
Tucson, AZ
2011

On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 11:54 AM, "kerry.isherwood@... [EquineCushings]" wrote:

So my gelding's leptin came back 8.32 ng/mL (norm 1-4).  He's the 7yo Saddlebred with inexplicable nervous behavior that has been on gabapentin since April, 2014.  He recently came up with two high insulins, the latest being 47 uIU/mL.  Initially the thought was that perhaps gabapentin was driving the insulin up but with a leptin like that....yeesh!  Has anyone ever seen a leptin that high?  Cornell only indicates that >7 ng/ml is "high".  You guys have more experience than anyone else I know with leptin, so should I believe a leptin this high or throw it out and re-submit a new sample?

In denial of EMS for horse #2,

Kerry in NY
Sept 2014

Kerry Isherwood