WAS: Best Time to Test NOW: Spring

Nancy C

Hi Kerry

Don't panic.  Not yet any way.

Spring can be hard for some IR horses, especially mares.  But it's Feb/Mar, not mid-July.  I'll stick my neck out and say, like me, your mid-July was likely PPID related.

Take a look at Dr Kellon's proceeding on mares at the link below my signature.  I hope she will be doing more at the next conference as well.

There's lots more in the messages archives as well.  this has been noted by the group since 2002.  :-)  If you do an advanced search with drkellon as the author and mares in the message window, you should find lots more discussion.

Gotta run.  If you can't find it, I can help again tomorrow.

Breathe and hug your girl.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003
Invest in the health of your horse and help ECIR Group nonprofit at the same time! Hear Drs Kellon, Bowker and more, in eight hours of great info and informative Q&A from 2013 NO Laminitis! Conference.

Conference Proceedings & Recordings

---In EquineCushings@..., <kerry.isherwood@...> wrote :

Are there two seasonal rises to worry about with PPID per year? I'm a PPID newbie (since Oct 2014). My mare is(was) also severely IR and has consistently fallen apart each year starting mid-July.

Kerry Isherwood

Fascinating! Thanks so much for the explanation. Ill def look into the archives et al. And ill pull my mares bloodwork to see if there was a bump in the insulin last Feb. Very interesting....

Thanks so much!
Kerry in NY
Sept 2014