Need opinions on new x-rays & foot progress

Tiffany Woodward

I have posted 2 new x-rays to Maggie's photo album.  These were taken on Tuesday 1/13/15.  Maggie has been trimmed 4 times as this point, with the most recent trim done last Friday 1/9/15.  Are we moving in the right direction?

It appears to me that there has been some positive change in the left, but I honestly can't see that anything has changed on the right.  The right foot is the one that developed a crack in the sole in mid-November.  Much of her sole has been flaking off and the toe (close to the crack) was quite soft & mushy for awhile, but is now beginning to harden and appear more normal.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tiffany in NC

Nov. 2014

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Tiffany,

Took a look at the newest photos and xrays. You are correct - RF hasn't changed much although there seems to be a tad more sole depth.

LF shows considerable sinking, long toe horizontally, heel height is pretty good. RF toe is way too long, heel is much too high. Sinking appears much less than in LF.

It appears as if whatever trimming is being done is following the current plane of the sole and it's relationship with the ground. That is not going to make any changes as it is maintaining the status quo. If you'd like, I can put up some mark-ups for you.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
C Support Team

Tiffany Woodward

Lavinia,

If you can show me what needs to be done, that would be great.  I feel like I need to go cry in a corner and bang my head on the wall.

Why does the sinking occur?  Is that something that can be corrected?  The vets are telling me that she'll never be riding sound, which I can live with as long as long as we can make her reasonably comfortable.  The farrier is more optimistic.  I don't know what to think.

Am I supposed to be doing more with the diet?  She's on 16 pounds of ODTB per day now.  I switched her over in 10 days.  She's getting 2 cups of TC Lite per day.  Also salt & Vit. E, and I'm working in the flax very slowly.

Tiffany in NC

Nov. 2014

janieclougher@...

Hi, Tiffany - Hang in there.  You are doing great with the diet.  The feet require time to heal: from an "uncomplicated" laminitis, you can't really count a horse sound until there is at least 2/3 of correct hoof growth, which is 6 to 9 months.  An uncomplicated laminitis is one that strikes once, the horse already has correct hoof form, the triggers are immediately corrected, and the trim continues to be exemplary.  That doesn't happen very often at all.  Most of us are dealing with (or have dealt with) frank laminitis after an unknown period of time with chronic (un-observed) laminitis, poor foot form to start with, a somewhat deformed hoof making it even harder to get back to good hoof form, and months (if not years) of thrashing around trying to figure out how to help the horse.  Now you are here on this list, so you have a plan to be going ahead with.  No banging your head on the wall!  None of us were born knowing what correct hoof form is, or what the correct treatment for a laminitic horse is.

Follow Lavinia's mark-ups (I do see some nice positive changes in the left hoof; weird that the right hoof is just maintaining the status quo like that)

Sinking (or, as Dr. Bowker calls it "Hoof Capsule Rising") can be slowly corrected, over many years of correct trim. Sometimes sinking happens not due to laminitis, but because of long term trimming problems (as in one of my guys - quarter horse with "flat feet" when we bought him, but has pretty good concavity now.  I have to take more rads to see if the sinking has reversed) Lots of horses out there are "flat footed" (read undiagnosed sinking) but are riding sound with boots or shoes.

I predict that you will be joining the legions of us that have had to take a deep breath, buy a rasp, and get after those toes :)

Jaini (BVSc),Merlin,Maggie,Gypsy
BC 09
ECIR mod/support
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ECHistory/files/Jaini%20Clougher%2C%20Smithers%20BC/

---In EquineCushings@..., <tiffanywoodward79@...> wrote :

Lavinia,

If you can show me what needs to be done, that would be great.  I feel like I need to go cry in a corner and bang my head on the wall.

Pamela Bramell

Tiffany,

I have seen a few of your posts.  My Buttercup had been fourndered for so long that the tip of her coffin bone has remodeled and has a little ski tip on the end of it.  She is able to be ridden.  We just have to manage her, sometimes she needs boots, sometimes she's fine barefoot.

Hang in there okay?  Just keep your eye on today and what needs to be done today and tomorrow.  Don't let any neigh (hee hee) sayers put you in a bad place.  A lot of them just don't know what is possible.  This is between you and your horse.  Listen to the volunteers on this list.  Their realm of possibility is a whole lot bigger then a lot of local vets (and farriers) simply because of the large amount of horses they have helped. When somebody had something bad to say (like put your pony down) I would just thank them for sharing and move on.

And I don't thinking banging your head in the corner is going to be very helpful for you or your horse!  lol!  I hear you though.  Sometimes that feels like the best immediate answer!

Rooting for you from Va
Pam/Butters/Story/Frosty/Shaqiraj
12/10

Tiffany Woodward

Jaini & Pam -

Thanks for the confidence.  I've been involved in horses for 25 years.  I've dealt with colic, cancers, hock/stifle issues, numerous injuries, and even a mild laminitis episode (with another horse many years ago, brought on by a mystery virus that caused a fever for many days)...but I've NEVER had any experience with IR and founder.  Never.

Lavinia,

I've added two photos of the sole of Maggie's right foot so you can get an idea of what it looks like now.  After she developed the crack, the sole around the crack slowly began flaking off.  The area between the crack and the toe became quite soft and mushy...it kind of felt like a wet rubber band.  Over the past 3-4 weeks, that area has now started to become more firm and is starting to look a little more normal.  Not totally normal, but it looks better than it did.  I know the pictures aren't the best, but you may be able to see that she has something like an indentation there.

Tiffany in NC

Nov. 2014

Tiffany Woodward

Correction Lavinia -

I've added 5 new photos.  Caught her laying down & I got some better pictures of the sole on her right foot.  There is a picture of the sole on the left in my album as well.

Tiffany in NC

Nov. 2014

Tiffany Woodward

Need specific guidance on feet and what to do now.  I'll do it myself if the farrier is unwilling/unable.  Anyone...

Tiffany in NC

Nov. 2014

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Tiffany,

I can do some mark-ups for you. It will take me a day or two as I have some others already waiting. Will that work?

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

Tiffany Woodward