Deb - acute laminitis and updated case

Lorna Cane

Hi Deb,

Sorry, I 'thought' I was forgetting someone when I told Pam,Martina and Michele how much their posts mean to all of us,sharing their successes.

You and Cory are a real shining light for all of us,too.Made me smile out loud to read this below.
Also got a chuckle out of your recent encouragement to Beverly,telling her(and whoever else may benefit from the advice) she may as well cave and buy a rasp to do the work herself - no excuses!
So many of us thought we could never learn how to work on our rehab horses' feet. Turns out we can do anything (especially if we have trimming saints to guide us) we need to do to help our ponies! Ha!

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

>Now Cory is noodling around in his paddock and being generally obnoxious by playing with his hay net when I am not moving fast enough.  I am so glad to see it.  He is not 100% yet but hopefully we will get there.  So don't lose hope. Ponies can be amazingly resilient.

Deb and Cory in NC
July 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory5/files/Deb%20Funderburk%20in%20NC/

hawkhilldeb@...

"You and Cory are a real shining light for all of us,too"

Hi Lorna--  Thanks so much for this.  Just yesterday I was out in the barn trying to figure out how to use nippers on a laying down horse and I said to myself, if Lorna could do what she did, I can figure this out.  I only hope, for Cory's sake, I can have as much success as you and others have had.

Deb and Cory in NC
July 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory5/files/Deb%20Funderburk%20in%20NC/

Nancy C

Ditto from here! Great work Deb!  Really nice job.
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

FACT: With knowledge of the nutrient profile of the forage and the animal's weight and level of work, one can supplement only what is needed to target nutritional needs.  See  Smithey and Gustafson, Nutrition Complexities and Mineral Profiles of Hay 2013 NO Laminitis! Proceedings, Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Group Inc.

---In EquineCushings@..., <windybriars@...> wrote :

Hi Deb,

Sorry, I 'thought' I was forgetting someone when I told Pam,Martina and Michele how much their posts mean to all of us,sharing their successes.

You and Cory are a real shining light for all of us,too.

Lorna Cane

>Just yesterday I was out in the barn trying to figure out how to use nippers on a laying down horse and I said to myself, if Lorna could do what she did, I can figure this out.

AND  Deb, I  have 10 years on you, to boot!!
Haha. Nothing short of a miracle, I'd say.

Now for true confessions - I've never used the nippers while he is down.Gads, I'm barely strong enough to use them on an upright horse.
But I do use the knife and the rasp. I just use those two when standing as well.Keeps me from making a boo boo that I can't undo,if you get my drift.

I sometimes have to wait until the foot I need to work on is not closest to the ground,because that makes it much easier.

When I trimmed my goats' hooves I used to use a little snip thing from the hardware store,for wire I think.It was small and very sharp.
I don't think it would be large enough for a horse's hoof,but just mentioning it in case there is something less cumbersome than nippers with the long handles,that you could use.
Or maybe just use the knife and rasp?

 >I only hope, for Cory's sake, I can have as much success as you and others have had.

We're not out of the woods yet,but thanks.
You are doing great.Just keep your sense of humour. Sure need it in this game.

Deb and Cory in NC
July 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory5/files/Deb%20Funderburk%20in%20NC/

Deb Funderburk <hawkhilldeb@...>

Thanks, Nancy, and Lorna-- about the nippers, I think it must be impossible to use them correctly while the horse is down, but Cory's heels are so hard that I had to try something new. I am using them to sort of nibble and scrape away at the heel. With the rasp all I can get off is dust, not like the flakes that come off of the rear feet or even off of the toe. It is like they are made of a different material, and I really felt like the heels were getting away from me again.

I also got a knife and that is a wonderful tool. I felt like I was getting un-exfoliated sole on his hind feet, but I have a horror of removing any sole. However, I thought I saw laid over bar material (boy, it really sounds like I know what I am talking about) and I tried lifting it up with the knife and it literally fell right off, along with some sole. So then I could see what needed to be removed. But I am so cautious, perhaps too cautious, that I think it is prolonging Cory's recovery.

I know what you mean about having to wait until the hoof you want is in the proper position. I will be so happy when Cory is comfortable enough to stand and have his feet worked on. I think it will make it a lot easier to keep his feet balanced.

Thanks again for the encouragement and information.

Deb and Cory in NC
July 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory5/files/Deb%20Funderburk%20in%20NC/

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Deb,

When the heels are really hard a sharp rasp will remove them - a dull one takes forever and seems to only dust things off. How long have you been using your current rasp?

Lavinia, Dante. George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

Deb Funderburk <hawkhilldeb@...>

"When the heels are really hard a sharp rasp will remove them - a dull one takes forever and seems to only dust things off. How long have you been using your current rasp?"

Hi Lavinia-- I thought it was a dull rasp, too, and so I got a new one. It is no better, so perhaps it is the muscle behind the rasp that is failing. I seem to be o.k. using it on the toes and rear feet however. This is the third rasp I've gotten since last June, I guess. How long should they last, using them two to three times a week? Is one brand better than another? I'm sorry to say I haven't really researched that. Thanks for any info.