Bermuda plus pellets from mnt sunrise

lj friedman

I called mtn sunrise asking about selenium in their timothy pellets and they told me that they have a product called bermuda plus pellets made for cushings horses.. I assume we know of this product?

Bermuda Plus

ECHistory8

Joan and Dazzle

Mountain Sunrise Bermuda Plus contains molasses. Although they have posted an analysis of their product, that is not a guaranteed analysis and changes with each batch. With the ESC+starch content that high, I would be cautious to feed it to a hyperinsulinemic horse.

Joan and Dazzle
Anaheim CA 2006

Sent from my iPad

lj friedman

I thought there had to be some issue that our group wasnt using the product. But , they tell me it was designed by vets,  for cushings horses in mind. Perhaps Dr. K can weigh in on if this is a product that warrants attn for cushings horses.. In my case, I;d be dropping timothy pellets and moving to bermuda plus..  assuming my horse is not IR. ( testing being done soon)  My horse cant eat the odtb cubes.  lj friedman san diego nov 2014

ECHistory8

Lorna Cane

> But , they tell me it was designed by vets,  for cushings horses in mind.

I WISH I had a dollar for every time I have read that about a product. Sorry.It's usually marketing.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

They also add iron, in addition to what may already be in the hay, and iron is not included in the analysis at all.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC support Team

lj friedman

I called mountain sunrise and spoke with the nutrition manager. Again he is strongly suggesting the Bermuda pellets for horses with cushings . He does agree there is molasses but it is only as a carrier for the vitamin supplements and the molasses content is one half pound per ton of pellets. LJ Friedman San Diego 2014

Sent from my iPhone

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

And this nutrition manager's experience with how many IR/PPID horses is ???

The problem here is not the molasses level per se but the overall sugar and starch which in the posted analysis is too high for some IR/PPID horses.  It is also only a spot analysis and other batches could be higher. No guarantees from the company that this is a ceiling.

Mineral levels will also vary from batch to batch, no guarantees.

If you think this company can guarantee safety of each batch (sugar and starch) as well as correctly balanced minerals in each batch, invite them to post here with the details.  They could pick up a lot of business!

EC -co-owner
Feb 2001

paulah@...

Hi LJ,

The mission of this group led by Dr. Kellon and the moderators is healthy horses with NO LAMINITIS.  To that end, they have put together the DDTE (Diagnosis, Diet, Trim and Exercise) protocol that is recommended to everyone who comes to the list for help.  That protocol is based on data and lots and lots of experience and success helping horses avoid or overcome the debilitating consequences of missed diagnosis, misdiagnosis or inappropriate treatment.

The easiest, cheapest and most effective way to help your horse is to follow the DDTE recommendations as outlined.  The ECIRhorse.org site is the best way to get the overall picture of the approach and then searching conversations and files will give lots more detail about the specifics.  If you are unable to obtain the items you need, the moderators and members are a great resource for other options if you need them.

I worked with a vet who specialized in nutrition, a well-known farrier whose claim to fame is balancing the foot around a dot and a vet practice who told me that I didn’t need to change my horse-keeping for a horse with an insulin of 87 and later when the horse’s feet got very hot, that it’s not laminitis unless the horse is lame.  All of those professionals’ advice and actions contributed to my horse’s laminitis, in spite of sincerely believing they were right.  When I joined this group, I did my best to follow the group’s philosophy and suggestions and my horse got better.  Not one bit of advice hurt my horse.  Let me say that again; not one bit of ECIR advice hurt my horse and he got better.  I am eternally grateful for Dr. Kellon and this amazing group of volunteers who provide so much important information, experience, advice and encouragement to us.

Keep it simple. Follow the DDTE and go back and review the DDTE on a regular basis.  Take your advice from a group with a proven track record of success in helping many, many horses.

Best regards,

Paula with Cory (IR) and Onyx (IR) in Bucks County, PA, USA

EC 2014     NCRplus2011   ECIR course 2014

ECHistory8

Christina Turissini

I've been feeding Bermuda Plus grass pellets to my horses on and off for years now, and was alarmed at the suggestion that the NSCs may be too high for IR/Cushings horses.  I called Nick Huntsman at Mountain Sunrise this morning to find out what in fact the NSC is, and he says that it consistently tests below 7%.  Surely that's one of the lowest available in a good horse feed?!

There's also a plain Bermuda grass pellet product which doesn't have the balanced vitamins/minerals added, but I neglected to ask what the NSC value was for that...but it would appear that if that's been correctly balanced, that would be a perfect feed, right?

Christina

Indian Hills, Colorado

(can't find when I joined...must be several years now)

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Chris,

You joined June 2013.

Do you have the actual guaranteed analysis for the Bermuda Plus pellets, including the majors and traces? We are looking for the ESC+Starch numbers, not the NSC (older, outdated info). Also would need to see the list of minerals/ingredients to know whether they are correctly balanced or not. Most companies do not actually balance anything but the calcium/phosphorus ratio and add other minerals to achieve the NRC minimums but do not address the balance between the rest. Please reread Dr. Kellon's post on this:

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Just as a footnote, I called Mtn. Sunrise and asked for an analysis for the Bermuda Pellets and the Bermuda Pellets Plus.  I was told the info was taken down from their web site during a redesign.  I was promised that the analyses would be sent to me via email.   When I receive the analyses, I will share them with the Group.

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  10/12

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Adding on to my own post........here is an analysis from 2004 for Bermuda Plus Pellets.  These pellets were balanced by Colorado Equine Veterinary for Mtn. Sunrise.

EVN Bermuda Plus Pellets

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  10/12

Christina Turissini

Okay, I can ask Dr. Barbara Page who is the owner of Colorado Equine Clinic, and is my vet in cases of lameness.  I'll be seeing her on the 12th and I can try to get that information for you sooner, if she's not too busy!  I'm really curious now.

Christina

Indian Hills, Colorado

June 2013