Mountain Sunrise Product Analyses

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Hi All,

I just checked the Mountain Sunrise site and they have added the analyses for their various pelleted products.  Bermuda Plus has an ESC of 6.9 and Starch of 4.2 according to the D-O analysis that is posted.

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  10/12

Analysis

lj friedman

So what do the moderators think of the analysis of the Bermuda plus pallets from Mountain sunrise? You know they are marketed for Cushing's and Ir ? And my understanding is that a vet co manufactured with them for that purpose. Lj Friedman San Diego November 2014

Sent from my iPhone

Lorna Cane

 >ESC of 6.9 and Starch of 4.2

As you know ,we recommend  10%, or under. Some horses can not tolerate even 10%

>You know they are marketed for Cushing's and Ir ?

The key word here is marketed.

>And my understanding is that a vet co manufactured with them for that purpose

The point being?

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Nancy C

Combined esc and starch are higher than I'd like for my very sensitive IR gelding.

Majors are okay.  Trace minerals - where the rubber meets the road and so often forgotten by feed comanies - are missing.

Please see Dr Kellon 2013 NO Laminitis! proceedings Minerals and IR (it's free)

Conference Proceedings & Recordings
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003
FACT: Minerals have direct effect on Insulin Resistance (IR) or its consequences. See  E. M. Kellon, VMD, Mineral Nutrition and Insulin Resistance, Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Group Inc.

---In EquineCushings@..., <windybriars@...> wrote :

 >ESC of 6.9 and Starch of 4.2

As you know ,we recommend  10%, or under. Some horses can not tolerate even 10%

>You know they are marketed for Cushing's and Ir ?

The key word here is marketed.

>And my understanding is that a vet co manufactured with them for that purpose

The point being?

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Christina Turissini

Are you SURE that this is the analysis for the Plus version?  I know that minerals were added to have them balanced to the pellets, for this specific purpose, and Dr. Barbara Page, who is my vet for lameness issues, created this product for her clients with horses having these conditions.  That's the point, but since I haven't been able to get the numbers from the clinic yet, I can't confirm these numbers.  I am suspecting (hoping) that the numbers relate to the regular Bermuda grass pellets, and not the Plus.  I shall be very cross if this 11.1% number is correct, and shall consider switching to TC Lite, as that comes in at 9.3%.  Or perhaps beet pulp pellets or shreds.  Luckily it would only be a carrier for supplements and occasional weight gaining feed, not as a mainstay of diet.

Even then, why would there be any difference in the two versions of pellets--wouldn't the base be the same?

Scratching head here...!

Christina

Indian Hills, Colorado,

June 2013

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Christina,

The analysis is posted and it says Bermuda Plus pellets on the analysis. The analysis is also dated April, 2009 so really has little to no relevance to what is happening now.

The Plus pellets have added molasses as well as added iron so right there are not appropriate for IR/PPID horses.

Also remember that the TC Lite numbers are an average, not a guaranteed analysis for any given batch. TC also adds iron to its products.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

Blckunicorn

Just wanted to chime in here... I feed Mountain Sunrise Bermuda pellets and on their website it shows the NSC is 5.7%. I called them a few weeks ago and was told that they don't change the analysis that is listed on the website unless the testing differs significantly. Dairy One periodically tests all of their hay. There is nothing added to the plain Bermuda pellets and there are no binders. Wouldn't this be a better option than the Plus pellets provided you can get it in your area?

Kristen Singh
AZ
Member since ?

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android