sue & princess/ soaking/ drying hoof question

sue wolf <wolffarm4@...>

Hello everyone,
princess hoof is looking better and the infection is gone. no more smell or discharge.. but I try and clean out all the dead stuff I can but its going to take time and it needs to grow out.  I need some suggestions for her hoof, she has a big whole in the front of her club foot almost here whole front is gone. I have been soaking it and putting meds in it to clear it up. its been 14 day now and I need to change it. I can't soak her hoof for ever. it need to be dry and get some air.. my problem is. I have to keep it clean and dry, the dry part is easy but to keep it clean and let it air out is the problem.. she has soft rides on and I have her toe wrapped up in vet wrap and a sock on it (thanks to my husband) to stop it from getting rub marks from the boots. the socks do not let much air in and the vet wrap does not help with the air flow.. any suggestions on what would work.. Also the vet wants me to keep her on bute. shes on one gram 1X a day.. what can I do to replace that? I was thinking of the phyto-quench. shes on the j herb. not sure if I'm getting anything out of it with the bute but I'll take any little it might help.. not sure if you needed her sight.
thanks Sue & princess oh 6/11

Kerry Isherwood

What abt panty hose or cheesecloth as a way to let air in but keep larger debris out? Or both since p hose is fragile but finer mesh, and cheesecloth is sturdier but wider mesh?

Kerry

Susanna Armbruster

Sweater bags might work . . .   Buy Laundry Bag Mesh from Bed Bath & Beyond

Susanna
Red Hook, NY
March 2015
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/echistory8/files/Poppy%20Seed%20and%20Susanna/

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Sue,

Great news - Princess is so lucky to have you as her mom. Instead of soaking, try using a poultice of Numotizine. That way, you get the drawing action and antiseptic properties without the wet environment:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=4fa01f0e-3a8a-4ffe-a694-ab474ac070cf

Definitely don't want to use J-herb and bute together. Why is the vet insisting on remaining on bute?  If it's been longer than 10 days, would recommend stopping the bute as it will interfere with healing. Phyto-Quench would be a good substitute or maybe Devil's Claw. Shouldn't use them combined with the Jiaogulan, however.

Can you get a current lateral pic of that clubby foot? You may be able to remove most of the damaged area at this point.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

sue wolf <wolffarm4@...>

hello, thanks for all the great ideas. went and got some cheese cloth stuff and its good for one use but her hoof is a little hard on it. the fab net for washing things in. tried will not hold up and lets the fine stuff in..  I'm using the poultice and that surgery stuff that's purple. can't think of the name, sorry. I squirt it in the open area with a long plastic needle like thing then dry it with a hair dryer and wrap it with the poultice  and vet wrap... I have some bad news as if she didn't have enough problems with her hoofs the other hoof she was getting sore on  again and I was tiring to figure out what could be wrong now and the abases she had in that toe had healed but it really didn't after doing some digging . it closed up and started to get infected, so I opened it up took out all I could see that was dead and soaked it and now doing the same for that hoof as the other.. I will get photos, but my camera broke and I have to go get another one. should have one soon..
on the bute. the vet wants me to keep her on it till she starts moving a little on her own.. I see his point. she does not want to move much on her own. I took her off the bute and in 2 days she was doing a lot of laying down. I know laying down is ok but I don't want her to not get up and eat ect.. with one gram of bute shes up and moves to her grain tub and her hay & water bucket that's all.. today I made her go out. shes in the pea gravel with her therapy boots on there the only ones that will stay on outside some sunshine will do her some good, shes not moving much. shes not with the other horses but on the other side of the fence. inside shes in the easy rides..
sue & princess
oh 6/11

On Friday, April 10, 2015 1:01 PM, "shilohmom@... [EquineCushings]" wrote:

[...]

Lorna Cane

Hi Sue,

> I know laying down is ok but I don't want her to not get up and eat ect.. with one gram of bute shes up and moves to her grain tub and her hay & water bucket that's all..

When mine are down I move the food /water to them.
That will help her stay off her feet when she feels she needs to,if you can manage it.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup