wnv vaccine

lj friedman

In San Diego mosquito season is in full force  june -oct with peak aug to september. Dr.Kellon says to use the Merial recombitek vaccine.. She also says not to ignore eee/wee.  If eee/wee was given to Jesse in November, and wnv also was given in November, I'm thinking of giving wnv in the next week because the vet is coming out to draw cornell bloods.  Should I also consider eee/www in a few weeks to space this apart?  and is there an eee/wee vax brand that we prefer for our cushings horses?  lj friedman san dieo nov 2014

ECHistory8

The current standards for WNV vaccination is only once a year. Here are links:

Nancy Reed
Jazzi, 2013
San Diego County

lj friedman

thanks for the reply.. the reason I plan on doing wnv vax soon. bec of  mosquito season. is that the previous vets at a different barn vaxed everything yearly in November.. In my mind. this means that the wnv vax given in November of 2014, will offer little if any protection for the 2015 mosquito season.  thoughts?  lj friedman san diego nov 2014

ECHistory8

palomino.1982@...

I  order  the Recombitek WNV on line as local  (SD ) vets do not use modified live vax.

Susan
EC Primary Response
SO Cal 2007

fionn@...

I’ve always given West Nile in May, right before Mosquito season.  I would think it would wear off too soon if you gave it in Nov.  And if you are giving them separately (as in not a 6-way), then I’d do it now.  Just my opinion and keep in mind I’m a history teacher, not a vet.

Michelle Peck Williams & Fionn
Lexington, Kentucky USA
Joined June 2012
fionn@...