transporting cornell blood to the vet

lj friedman

First time I did blood on Jesse, sent to Cornell, I drove the blood to the vets office for fast processing.. though they had a fridge on their truck. Was this overkill?  I also remember reading somewhere that the vials should be stood up as opposed to just lying on a car seat?  is this correct?   any other tips?  lj friedman san diego nov 2014

ECHistory8

Kerry Isherwood

LJ,

If you can drive it the vet's office, that would be ideal. Its not the refrigeration that is the critical step; its the separation of the blood's components by spinning the sample in a centrifuge that is. The separation has to be done no later than 4 hrs after blood is drawn from the horse. So, if your vet has add'l appts after yours, or gets an emergency call he/she must take, the blood wont get spun in time.

After spinning the tubes, the separated sections of blood have to be carefully extracted by hand and placed into a different type of blood tube and (ideally) frozen until shipment. All of this is delicate, tedious work that should be done within the 4-hr recommended window to have the most accurate results. So while refrigeration is important, its not the only part of the handling--the bulk of the work in prepping the blood sample happens in the vet's clinic, usually by his/her vet techs ;)

As for the initial transport of the tubes after drawing--the "purple tops" w the purple stopper have an additive that prevents the blood from clotting so you want the blood in those tubes to stay gently mixed together (ie, doesnt matter if theyre flat on side, standing up, etc). This is the sample for testing the ACTH (PPID status) and the one that must stay cooled.

Usually another tube is drawn with a red stopper; this one does not contain an anti-coagulant so the blood is supposed to form a big yucky clot in the bottom and a yellow liquid will separate itself out on top of the clot. Thats exactly what you want to happen. Yes, ideally, the tubes should stand upright but its not crucial for the results--you just dont want to disturb the clot in the tube once its formed (usually w/in 10 mins of draw) so if the tube accidentally falls on its side, no big deal, just leave it that way until you get to the vet's office. You should keep these red-top tubes chilled also but its not as critical as it is for the purple top tubes.

The red tops will be spun and serum will be extracted similarly to the purple tops.

-Purple tops must be kept cool. These samples can be gently mixed or ride to the clinic on their sides; no big deal. They are not supposed to clot
-Red top tubes ARE supposed to form a clot on their own and ideally stand upright & remain undisturbed during transport. Its not a problem if the tubes fall over; they're going to be spun at a high rate of speed to separate the cells anyway so no real damage is done if the blood mixes/clot moves. You might see a remark about hemolysis in results (means some red blood cells ruptured but its not going to effect the leptin or insulin results; if you're running a blood chemistry to check on body-wide organ system function then possible hemolysis would potentially interfere with results). Best to keep the red tubes cooled also.

Im not going to get into the glucose part of the Cornell panel. If your vet is requesting the glucose test & you handle the blood tubes as Ive described above, the glucose results will be fairly accurate.

Kerry in NY
Licensed Vet Tech

Nancy C

Just want to add when I pull my own blood, I stand the tubes in a plastic cup in a cooler with ice for the trip to the clinic which is 90 mins away.

When I need to pull blood at  critical time, just before a holiday, have also had a small animal vet who's five minutes away from me, spin and separate.  Then I froze the tubes and delivered the following week.

Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
http://ecirhorse.org/index.php/equine-cushing-s-and-insulin-resistance-group-inc

---In EquineCushings@..., <kerry.isherwood@...> wrote :

[...]

thanks for your reply.. with this attention to detail this will help me pass my vet tech exam.. ( just kidding) thanks again.. lj friedman san diego nov 2014

ECHistory8

palomino.1982@...

Just want to add that you do not want the blood to freeze...so make sure there is a layer of separation between ice and tubes of blood.  Or place in cup with water and a bit of ice to keep it chilled.

I do my blood draws........and the first time ( being over zealous ) in wanting to keep it chilled...I froze it. That only happened once!

Susan
EC Primary Response
So Cal 2007

OK - I'll ask - what happens if you freeze it?

Jean and Amber
In South Carolina
August 23, 2004