J herb

lj friedman

So I ordered j herb for Jesse just in case he needs it for a laminitic episode.. Upon reading a file that states signs an effective dose has been reached include:

brighter more alert attitude

more energy, spontaneous movement

If his feet were in good shape.. can j herb be used just to get the above desired effects?

( I am re testing cornell labs on monday. and anticipate a potential prascend increase from 1.0mg to 1.5 if labs are not where they should be.   )

So, if acth levels are normal,people still use j herb just to get alertness and more energy if acth levels are also well controlled?

lj friedman san diego nov 2014

ECHistory8

Nancy C

Hi lj

I have used jherb for this reason not only for myself but also for my now deceased compensated IR gelding.

He was coming on 31 when he passed.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

FACT: It is impossible to tell how “good” a hay is by just looking at it.  See  Smithey and Gustafson, Nutrition Complexities and Mineral Profiles of Hay 2013 NO Laminitis! Proceedings, www.ecirhorse.org

---In EquineCushings@..., <lj_friedman@...> wrote :

So I ordered j herb for Jesse just in case he needs it for a laminitic episode.. Upon reading a file that states signs an effective dose has been reached include:

brighter more alert attitude

more energy, spontaneous movement

lj friedman san diego nov 2014

ECHistory8

lj friedman

I asked this but not sure I got a reply yet. Can J herb be given with Prevacox and prascend?

Sent from my iPhone

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Lj,

Have you tried doing an archive search and/or checking the Files for information on Jiaogulan (J-Herb)?

Here is a link to the File. You will find a lot of information in the Document "Jiaogulan Doses & Precautions" which will most likely answer most of your questions and more.

Kathy Brinkerhoff
SE/WI  10/12

Equine Cushings and Insulin Resistance

lj friedman

I have read all the files.. I dont see anything mentioning j herb and prevacox specifically.. perhaps someone can offer an answer or a link?  lj friedman san diego nov 2014

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Hi Lj,

You need to start by knowing what Previcox is and why it was suggested to be prescribed to Jesse.   I did a web search on previcox and found the information below in the second link on the Valley Vet Pet Pharmacy site.   The product description tells you it is a NSAID and it, also, tells you it is prescribed for dogs.  In the archived posts, you will find discussions about the horse version Equicox by the same company (Merial) and the dog version Previcox, recommended usage, side effects and suggested alternatives. You have been part of  some of these post threads. You would also have read that the cost of the horse version is pricey so if vets are agreeable to it they will prescribe Previcox to save money.

On the J-Herb document  list of  the "following may reduce the effect of Jiaogulan and should be avoided; you found NSAIDs listed, correct?  "NSAIDs (bute, Banamine, etc,)  Previcox is one of the etc.

If your next question is  about using Previcox vs Equicox read the first link below.

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  10/12

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=299&A=3263&S=0&EVetID=3004125

Previcox for Dogs Merial ( - Pet Pharmacy (Rx) - Arthritis, Pain Inflammation (Rx))

-

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Equioxx not Equicox.

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  10/12

---In EquineCushings@..., <kathbrink@...> wrote :

[...]

thanks for the reply.. I was hoping that because prevacox is a cox-2. that it might be ok to give with j-herb.  lj friedman  san diego nov 2014.. I know that some people give them both.. , but seems that this is not correct.. Nowhere do I see  " do not give prevacox and j herb together.. It would be wonderful if
dr. Kellon can comment, specifically about  " jherb and prevacox.."  as I know people do use these together..

palomino.1982@...

> Can you give the Pervicox with J-herb?

The following is a post from Dr. Kellon:

" No, Previcox is a COX inhibitor just like phenylbutazone or flunixin.
COX inhibitors interfere with nitric oxide generation.

It's also not safe for long term daily use in horses. The Equioxx package directions state "up to 14 days". The safety studies did not find any gastric or colonic ulcerations with oral use but they did find:

[from FDA submitted safety studies]
Firocoxib administered once daily at the recommended dose of 0.1 mg/kg body weight in a 0.82% oral paste formulation for 42 days causes oral ulceration and is associated with delayed healing of pre-existing oral ulcers. One horse treated at the recommended dose for 42 days had renal papillary necrosis.

Renal papillary necrosis is kidney damage. There were only 8 horses in that study group, so 1 out of 8 or 12.5%. These are also healthy, young horses.

Safety margin is very narrow too (as it is with bute)."

.....It helps to have the correct spelling when attempting an archive search.

Susan
EC Primary Response
SoCal 2007