Phyto Quench and ALCAR question

corrine haffner

Hi

Can i give more then 2 scoops of PQ a day? also can i give more the 10 grams of ALCAR a day how much more of each can i safely give??

Reason i ask jasper has come up more sore today,was out in rain last night and was shaking pretty bad this morning. So is now stiff and a 3 on the lameness scale. Wasn't raining on my last night check, so thought he be ok being left out for the night,

Thank you,

Corrine and Jasper

MN 4/2014

ECHistory8

Nancy C

Hi Corrine

I think Dr Kellon has used up to 3 scoops per dose but please do an archived message check.

ALcar can go up to 2 grams per 100 lb of body weight.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003
FACT: Some mares are refractory to good control of IR by the usual diet measures.  See  E. M. Kellon, VMD, Mineral Nutrition and Insulin Resistance, 2013 NO Laminitis! Proceedings, www.ecirhorse.org

-

ECHistory8

There's a good chance the shaking was from being chilled and fatigued.  He probably didn't spend as much time down as he needed to because of the rain.  See how he is after a few hours in his stall.  It's perfectly all right to give him some down time inside especially if he feels more comfortable there.

When you get your supplements, start to keep a daily journal so you don't lose sight of the bit picture.  Record his pulse every morning, lameness grade when going in and going out, number of times you use capsaicin, how much he eats over a day.

You should be fine with the one dose of PQ twice a day and 11,000 ALCar/day

---In EquineCushings@..., <threecatfarm@...> wrote :

ECHistory8

EC Co-owner

Feb 2001

corrine haffner

Hi Dr Kellon & Nancy

I got the supplements and he's been on them for 4 days i think,he was a 2 on the lameness scale, then monday morning he came up more sore. I did take his pulse yesterday morning and it was 60 beats per minute,but he was shaking and very sore stiff,at the time.

Took it this morning and it was down to 54 beats per minute. I do always take note of how he is lameness wise in AM and again in PM,was staying a steady 2. Now he's at a 3 even today,been doing capiasin 3 times a day when he was at a 2. Now he's more sore doing capiasin 4 times a day.

Will start a journal on his pulse,lameness,and how much capiasin is used per day and what he eat in a days time. On average the last 3 days its 14lbs of soaked hay and 2lbs of ODTB cubes,a pound AM and PM,doesn't finish either meal at a pound each,leaves a 1/3 of it in pan.

Was eating 20 lbs of soaked hay went on strike and didn't eat the cubes or pellets for 3 days,that was last week. He's in my back yard so i can keep track of everything,don't have to depend on anyone else.

Thank you,

Corrine and Jasper

MN 4/2014

ECHistory8