Re Now Eating issues & loss of pasture mate.WAS: Testing ACTH & Doxycycline Question:

corrine haffner

Hi

Jasper is eating none stop do i let him eat all he want's? or do i limit amounts of hay he can have? If he has hay he never quits eating. This is new to me he's never been like this before,so i'am not sure what to do.

Also his pasture mate of 11 years is going to be put down this fall or sooner,my mare who's 28 1/2 years old. Her health is declining and she gotten skinny despite all the hay and 15lbs of senior feed divided up into 4 feedings. She has heaves which is getting harder to control having more and more flare ups/even on Lung EQ. Also has DSLD on both front legs and fetlocks are dropping more and one leg has bowed a tendon.

Her quality of life is becoming questionable at this point,so i have to make that dreaded decision to put her down,my heart horse of 26 years. So problem with her being put down is jasper is very attached to her and flips his lid when she goes out of his sight.

So how do i get him through the loss of his best buddy? i don't want him pacing the fence and screaming for days looking for her. Hard enough to go through this then to have jasper screaming and looking for her will be heart breaking.

Sorry for the long post but i need to do this now,because the week or day before i wont be able to think this all out,and see through the tears to type it.

Thank you,

Corrine and Jasper

MN 4/2014

ECHistory8

Lorna Cane

>So how do i get him through the loss of his best buddy?

I'm so sorry,Corrine.

I always try to make sure that the horses here get to see their buddy after the deed is done.

It helps .

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Lorna Cane

>I always try to make sure that the horses here get to see their buddy after the deed is done.

Also Rescue Remedy helps.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Lorna Cane

>Jasper is eating none stop do i let him eat all he want's?

My first reply seems to have evaporated.

Horses in pain often require more than their normal amounts of feed in order to hold their weight.
How many pounds of hay a day is Jasper eating? How many pounds total feed?

Is he gaining weight,or holding?

Is he still drinking 25 gallons of water a day?

Sorry......questions.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

kansteen5545@...

Hi Corinne -
Are you planning a replacement for your mare as a new buddy for Jasper? If you get the replacement now, Jasper could become used to it and not have as hard a time when your mare has to go.
Karen
ME/2014
---- "sassafrass45@... [EquineCushings]" <EquineCushings@...> wrote:

Hi
(Re: Jasper)
Also his pasture mate of 11 years is going to be put down this fall or sooner,my mare who's 28 1/2 years old. Her health is declining and she gotten skinny despite all the hay and 15lbs of senior feed divided up into 4 feedings. She has heaves which is getting harder to control having more and more flare ups/even on Lung EQ. Also has DSLD on both front legs and fetlocks are dropping more and one leg has bowed a tendon.

So how do i get him through the loss of his best buddy? i don't want him pacing the fence and screaming for days looking for her. Hard enough to go through this then to have jasper screaming and looking for her will be heart breaking.

corrine haffner

Hi

He gets 1.5 of ODTB cubes in AM and PM upping pms ODTB cubes to 2lbs tonight so 3.5 lbs of cubes a day, 25lbs of hay thats soaked. So total amount is 28.5lbs a day,hay is gone by am feeding. He's drinking 25 gallons a day sometimes more. Hay is in small hole hay net 1.5 inch holes he's eaten holes bigger in last day or so. Was chewing on net when i went out to feed this morning.

I'll let him see his buddy then after the deed is done,hopefully i can handle this it's going to be hard. Have had alot of losses this year already.

Thank you,

Corrine and Jasper

MN 4/2014

ECHistory8

corrine haffner

Hi Karen

He has another gelding,but they aren't buddy's, other gelding is very mean boss horse.

Thank you,

Corrine and Jasper

MN 4/2014

ECHistory8

Lorna Cane

>So total amount is 28.5lbs a day,hay is gone by am feeding. He's drinking 25 gallons a day sometimes more.

How many pounds total feed was he eating before,in 'normal' times ?
Is he gaining weight on 28.5 pounds?
Is he cleaning up the cubes?

Have you ruled out out-of-control PPID/IR?

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

corrine haffner

Hi

He was back before all his trouble he got  24/7 hay round bale put in feeder and a handful of timothy pellets for supplements,that was 2 years ago.  He's been losing weight he was on the fat side about a month and a half ago. He went from 1,250 to 1,130 not skinny by any means can feel ribs can't see them. He isn't seeming to gain weight on current feedings.

Can't re test PPID IR till july he's on doxy for lyme dease,so yes out of control PPID, IR is possible. Heres post by DR Kellon back in march about re testing 192615

Thank you,

Corrine and Jasper

MN 4/2014

ECHistory8

corrine haffner

Hi

Yes he cleans up the cubes,and wants more. forgot to add that in last post.

Thank you,

Corrine and Jasper

MN 4/2014

ECHistory8

takarri@...

So how do i get him through the loss of his best buddy? i don't want him pacing the fence and screaming for days looking for her. Hard enough to go through this then to have jasper screaming and looking for her will be heart breaking.

Hi Corinne,

I recently had to deal with a similar situation when my heart horse Jack was euthanized. He had been Spurs constant companion for many years. Jack couldn’t go out of sight- ever- without Spur going nuts. Jack used to like playing hidey at midnight, in which I would then have to drag myself out of bed to “find” him as Spur would be screaming the neighborhood down.

Spur was there for the whole process, watched and sniffed Jack after the process. I certainly believed that helped. He did go nuts, screaming & running for about 30 minutes after Jack left. He continued to call out and pace for the next few days.  I slept in his stall for the first night and reassured him each time he called out. I put my 2 pet sheep in his yard overnight and Rescue remedy really helped … both of us… There’s not a lot more than you can do other than be there for Jasper. He will fret and pace- that’s a normal reaction for them. He will eventually stop and move on.  Spur called less and less, but it took a week. Make sure his feet are well protected and padded.- that would be my main concern.  My vet offered a sedative for Spur- I declined, again the rescue remedy worked so much better than I anticipated. There are safe calming herbs that can be used- but not sure how that would go with the doxy treatment. Is there another horse close by that he can see?

I’m so sorry for your impending loss- it’s a hard gut wrenching decision to make. Quality of life is very important and although it may not feel like it, we are lucky that we can alleviate any pain and suffering in a peaceful humane manner. She will always be your heart horse.  Take care & hugs to you.

Pauline & Spur

Sth West Vic

Australia Aug 07

EC Primary Response

http://tinyurl.com/7qbdyas

corrine haffner

Hi Pauline

Yes he has another horse my daughters gelding,they are not buddy's never have been,jasper has been chased and put through the fence by the other gelding.

Sounds like pacing and screaming is in the cards even if he see's and sniffs her after she's gone,i have be the one to hold her rope while she's being put down. I have two horses to deal with after, both will lose their minds,this mare holds the small herd of 3 together.

When did you start the rescue remedy for you horse before the other was put down?? Have 2 to deal with plus i'am going to be a emotional mess. I know she will still be my heart horse,hard to say good by to such a beautiful sweet mare. Will put a picture of her in my album,she's palomino quarter horse her name is chardonnay.

Thank you,

Corrine and Jasper

MN 4/2014

ECHistory8

takarri@...

When did you start the rescue remedy for you horse before the other was put down??

Hi Corrine,

 Unfortunately, Jacks passing wasn’t planned- colic- so I didn’t get to start the RR for Spur until later in the day- a friend dropped some in. If I’d had the chance, I would have started it a few days beforehand - for both of us. I had always said that if Jack passed away Spur would need to be put down as well as he wouldn’t cope. I just couldn’t do it at that time. I totally underestimated his ability to cope. He yet again taught me another lesson.

It’s good that there’s another horse close by- they don’t have to be together- just within eyesight.  Would love to see a photo of her when you’re ready.

Pauline & Spur

Sth West Vic

Australia Aug 07

EC Primary Response

corrine haffner

Hi Pauline

I posted a photo of her in my album was from last summer,almost lost her to colic last summer. She looks kinda rough but she almost died of colic,spent 4 days walking and watching her plus a big vet bill.

Will for sure start the rescue remedy 2 or 3 days before she's put down,unless it happens unplanned hopefully not.

Thank you,

Corrine and Jasper

MN 4/2014

ECHistory8

corrine haffner

Hi Cindy

I know he will move on after he morns his buddy being gone,just worried he'll relapse with lyme dease,still dealing with him being sore footed. Just don't want him to go backwards in progress that's my biggest worry with him and losing his buddy.

I'll deal with the loss of my lovely mare,iv been through worse lost my mom here in nov 2014. While i still have my mare i'll pamper her and spend as much time with her as i can. Taking lots of pictures so i'll have those to look back on and remember her and how beautiful she was.

Thank you,

Corrine and Jasper

MN 4/2014

ECHistory8