Now: colick Trouble Jasper's Journal of Pulse & lameness last 10 days.

corrine haffner

Hi

So back to colic troubles  not sure how that could be??, he's on the supplement that Dr kellon reccomended  gets it twice a day before doxy. Only change is PQ and ALCAR  and the ODTB cubes hay is the same grass hay.

Other change would be the increased hoof pain,and laying down a lot. He's eating hay but is uncomfortable while eating swishing tail,biting at sides. Had vet out again today for the colic nothing obviously wrong, guts sounds are good,not impacted, manure out put is the same,peeing normal. He's not thrashing and violent just uncomfortable.

He's been standing now for past 1 1/2 hours so paws the ground ,i think ulcers are acting up again seems to be same symptoms,as before.  Vet thinks i should treat him for ulcers i don't know what to do,that's one more thing to syringe in him every day. How would ulcer treatment effect PQ and ALCAR and supplement he gets before doxy??

Really don't understand how he could have gastric ulcers he also gets aloe vera juice 2oz along with supplement.Maybe the stress of pain has brought on the ulcers??

Corrine & Jasper
MN 4/2014
ECHistory8

janieclougher@...

Good grief - just what you and Jasper do not need.

Yes, stress and pain, plus lying down a lot and maybe not always having hay in his stomach can cause an upsurge of ulcers, even when on aloe vera to help prevent.  The aloe is a good preventative, but might be overwhelmed if there is a lot of pain and stress happening.  It wouldn't hurt to treat with GastroGard for a week and see if it makes a difference.  I know you are stretched to the maximum, but it would be best to give the GastroGard separately from the other supplements.

Hang in there.

---In EquineCushings@..., <sassafrass45@...> wrote :

Hi

So back to colic troubles  not sure how that could be??, he's on the supplement that Dr kellon reccomended  gets it twice a day before doxy. Only change is PQ and ALCAR  and the ODTB cubes hay is the same grass hay.

Corrine & Jasper
MN 4/2014
ECHistory8

corrine haffner

Hi

So how far apart from other supplements do i need to give Gastro guard?? The supplement Dr Kellon reccomended back in march stopped colic issues,when he had trouble then. Obviously i'am not going to get the gastro Guard today vet office is closed now.

Doesn't he need to be treated for 30 days,if it makes a difference ?? No i don't need this problem on top of everything else. Don't need the the expense of ulcer treatment either, 2 farm calls in two days, all the money from training two horses is about gone right now.

Corrine & Jasper
MN 4/2014
ECHistory8

corrine haffner

Hi

So i got gastro guard for jasper this morning he was having ulcer trouble again. Gave him the first tube and forgot he just had his pergolide.  Will the gastro guard render his dose of pergolide useless??

Also his hoof pain is currently at a 4 to a 4 1/2 this morning,so still wondering if i can give him an extra scoop of PQ?? I know he can't be pain free but i highly doubt an extra scoop of PQ will do that, with his current pain level. Think he needs a bit of a break from the pain, a 3 or a 2 1/2 would sure help him out,he's getting 2 scoops of the PQ currently,plus 11,000 grams of ALCAR.

Yes i'am doing the capaisin obviously its not enough.

Corrine & Jasper
MN 4/2014
ECHistory8

Lorna Cane

>Also his hoof pain is currently at a 4 to a 4 1/2 this morning,so still wondering if i can give him an extra scoop of PQ??

Reread this message:

I hope it helps clear up any confusion.

  Lorna in Ontario,Canada

ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Lorna Cane

>he's getting 2 scoops of the PQ currently,plus 11,000 grams of ALCAR.

Recommended dose is 1 gram per 100 pounds body weight. You must mean 11 grams,I think.

Reread the ALCAR recommended dose in the Files to help clear up the 3 scoop question.
I sent a link to the message I sent you a day or so ago  about it,but NEO ate it.Sorry.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

corrine haffner

Hi

I read that message,and when Dr kellon said 2 scoops of PQ he wasn't as bad as he is now. Yes it was a typo mistake on ALCAR i haven't had any sleep in over 24 hours. I don't see how an extra scoop of PQ would make him pain free at a 4 1/2 pain level.

His pain level is causing ulcers,so obviously something needs to be done here.Iv had the vet out 2 times can't afford another vet call right now,just spent 420$ on gastro guard.  Fact is i'am tired and stressed and my horse needs his pain level taken down to at least a 3 that isn't pain free.

Thanks lavinia for that info on ulcer meds.

Corrine & Jasper
MN 4/2014
ECHistory8

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Corinne,

It may  interfere with the absorption of the pergolide so space them further apart from now on. Not a catastrophe for one dose. Give his next dose of pergolide whenever it would normally be given.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

ECHistory8

corrine haffner

Hi

Thank you lavinia, i still don't get why i can't give 3 scoops of PQ it says right in direction you can. He's a 4 1/2 pain wise. Yes dr kellon said 2 scoops but things have changed and in a big way. Jasper need to get some relief from his pain,and i don't see the big issue with 3 scoops of PQ.

When pain starts causing ulcer issue think something needs to be done????

Sorry if i'am sounding snotty but my horse needs HELP with his PAIN.

Corrine & Jasper
MN 4/2014
ECHistory8

Lorna Cane

> i still don't get why i can't give 3 scoops of PQ it says right in direction you can. He's a 4 1/2 pain wise. Yes dr kellon said 2 scoops but things have changed and in a big way. Jasper need to get some relief from his pain,and i don't see the big issue with 3 scoops of PQ.

Corrine,what am I missing here?

Where did you see that giving 3 scoops of PQ is an issue?

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Lorna Cane

>Sorry if i'am sounding snotty but my horse needs HELP with his PAIN.

What did the vet say was the cause of Jasper's pain?

What is he doing today,Jasper?
Is he down?
Is he eating?
Is he drinking?

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Lorna Cane

Try rereading this message from Nancy when you have time. Maybe it will help:

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

corrine haffner

Hi

Thank you for all the responses i know everyone on here is pulling for jasper,i just couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel today.I gave him the extra scoop of PQ today see how that works for him,hopefully it helps,relief some pain.

No i have yet to get any sleep things just can't seem to go right,my mare coliced today vet came and only gave her less then 50 percent chance. I tryed for hours to pull her through,but we lost the battle here just an hour ago.

Jasper didn't get to see her once she was gone,couldn't walk out to where she died,so he's now in a tizzy screaming and having a fit looking for her. Didn't plan for it to happen this way but it did,have the other horse in barn with him but makes no difference. I'am over whelmed with grief, i miss chardonnay so much it hurts:( she was a part of my life for 26 1/2 years. I feel like a part of my heart was taken away today.

To see jasper in a tizzy screaming and looking for her breaks my heart i'am no help for him all i do is cry.

Thank you again to everyone on here for the support and help.

Corrine & Jasper
MN 4/2014
ECHistory8

Lorna Cane

 >Didn't plan for it to happen this way but it did,have the other horse in barn with him but makes no difference. I'am over whelmed with grief, i miss chardonnay so much it hurts:( she was a part of my life for 26 1/2 years. I feel like a part of my heart was taken away today.

Corrine,I am so sorry.
This is unspeakably tough.

It's ok if Jasper sees you cry. Horses know things we don't give them credit for knowing. Seeing you cry may even help him.

One minute at a time.Stay in the moment if you can.
Too much for one person's shoulders. Please try to sleep.

I wish words could make a difference.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Oh Corrine, I'm so sorry. So not fair. Share your grief with Jasper - you can cry for Chardonnay together.

Know you did everything you could for her and she knew that. Take solace in the fact she is free and no longer in pain. Even tho your heart is breaking now, eventually the memories of the good times you shared will fill that void.

Peace and hugs to you.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Nappi and George over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

corrine haffner

Thank you lavina & Lorna

I know she's been set free of pain,my pain and grief is over whelming,then jasper's beside himself looking and screaming for his buddy of 11 years. Jasper is so sore but still pacing around his stall looking and screaming for his buddy.

What can i do to calm him down?? he's all sweated up and shaking,iv been out in barn with him he stops pacing but continues to scream. I told jasper she has been set free from her pain and suffering,wasn't ready to say good bye today. Wasn't ready to hug her one last time or brush her beautiful mane out one last time. Or to see her for the last time tonight after i gave her a hug and told her how much i loved her,for the last time. Rest in peace my beautiful chardonnay,jasper and i miss you very much:(

Thanks again,
Corrine & Jasper

janieclougher@...

Oh, Corrine, I am so very sorry.  There are just no words.

Writing through tears for you and Jasper.

takarri@...

Corrine & Jasper,

So sorry for your loss and what you are both currently going through. May be a mute point, but have you tried the Rescue Remedy yet?
No other words will help other than thinking about you both from across the miles.
She knew you loved her. You loved her enough to release her from her pain.

Pauline & Spur

Angels Jack & Harry

Sth West Vic

Australia  Aug 07

EC Primary Response

http://tinyurl.com/7qbdyas

Lorna Cane

>What can i do to calm him down??

Maybe Rescue Remedy?
If he's too pumped it may not work.But it's worth a try.

It's not necessarily bad for his feet right now,since movement will help the abscesses drain.Try to think of it that way ,if you can.

Please force yourself to sleep.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Lesley Fraser

Oh Corrine, I’m so sorry to hear Chardonnay has gone, and so suddenly too - a heartbreaking time for you and Jasper.
Thinking of you both.
Lesley & Omar
2012, UK