Clippers for Cushings Coat

marktime@...

My horse Rudy has a one inch-summer coat and a five-inch winter one.  He is responding to Pergolide and diet changes but the coat stays.  It is starting to get hot in Missouri and I would like to get a clipper and shorten his summer coat now, and his winter coat (not AS short) next spring.  I did some research and came up with this set of clippers.  Will this do for trimming twice a year?  If not, what should I look for that will not break the bank?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018KVI3Y/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thank you,

Judy in SW Missouri

4/2014

Kerry Isherwood

Those Andis are OK & work on show coats that are blanketed & bathed before clipping but if you are doing a full body clip on a true Cushing's coat you may want a stronger motor. Ive dealt with many brands over the years for show grooming & in veterinary medicine (you'd be surprised what kind of crazy hair in crazy places you have to clip in an emergency!) and the ones I really like the most are the Lister Star clippers for full body on horses, esp thick coats that are unbathed. If you take care of the blades (stop, clean and oil with every ten mins of use, religiously) ive gotten prob an average of ten full body clips out of a single set of blades. And thats on two horses that live outside 24/7 year-round, one being PPID and having ridiculously lavish leg feathers.

Only caveat with this clipper & blade is to make sure you buy the medium cut blades, NOT the fine that come w machine. The fine is almost a surgical cut. Medium are perfect for show ring needs and leave enough hair even for horses living outside w daily fly spraying. Ive been very impressed with these Lister clippers

However, if your horse is stalled, blanketed, vacuumed, bathed frequently, etc (not living the rugged life) you are prob fine with the Andis.

Kerry in NY
Sept 2014

Sherry Morse

If you don't want to invest in a pair of big clippers like the Clipmasters (610 Clipmaster Variable Speed Clipper Oster ( - Grooming - Clippers - Large Hair Head)

I would recommend seeing if you can find a professional clipper in the area and pay them to do the clipping for you.  I clipped my mare 3x last year and she's been clipped once this year already and I'll probably do her again within a month depending on how hot it gets and how hairy she gets.

The little clippers take - on average 2-3 times longer than the big clippers, they overheat more easily and ultimately they're just not the right tool for the job.

Thanks,
Sherry and Scarlet
PA 2014