Clippers for Cushings Coat

marktime@...

My horse Rudy has a one inch-summer coat and a five-inch winter one.  He is responding to Pergolide and diet changes but the coat stays.  It is starting to get hot in Missouri and I would like to get a clipper and shorten his summer coat now, and his winter coat (not AS short) next spring.  I did some research and came up with this set of clippers.  Will this do for trimming twice a year?  If not, what should I look for that will not break the bank?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018KVI3Y/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thank you,

Judy in SW Missouri

4/2014

Kerry Isherwood

Those Andis are OK & work on show coats that are blanketed & bathed before clipping but if you are doing a full body clip on a true Cushing's coat you may want a stronger motor. Ive dealt with many brands over the years for show grooming & in veterinary medicine (you'd be surprised what kind of crazy hair in crazy places you have to clip in an emergency!) and the ones I really like the most are the Lister Star clippers for full body on horses, esp thick coats that are unbathed. If you take care of the blades (stop, clean and oil with every ten mins of use, religiously) ive gotten prob an average of ten full body clips out of a single set of blades. And thats on two horses that live outside 24/7 year-round, one being PPID and having ridiculously lavish leg feathers.

Only caveat with this clipper & blade is to make sure you buy the medium cut blades, NOT the fine that come w machine. The fine is almost a surgical cut. Medium are perfect for show ring needs and leave enough hair even for horses living outside w daily fly spraying. Ive been very impressed with these Lister clippers

However, if your horse is stalled, blanketed, vacuumed, bathed frequently, etc (not living the rugged life) you are prob fine with the Andis.

Kerry in NY
Sept 2014

Sherry Morse

If you don't want to invest in a pair of big clippers like the Clipmasters (610 Clipmaster Variable Speed Clipper Oster ( - Grooming - Clippers - Large Hair Head)

I would recommend seeing if you can find a professional clipper in the area and pay them to do the clipping for you.  I clipped my mare 3x last year and she's been clipped once this year already and I'll probably do her again within a month depending on how hot it gets and how hairy she gets.

The little clippers take - on average 2-3 times longer than the big clippers, they overheat more easily and ultimately they're just not the right tool for the job.

Thanks,
Sherry and Scarlet
PA 2014

From: "marktime@... [EquineCushings]" To: EquineCushings@...
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2015 11:51 AM
Subject: [EquineCushings] Clippers for Cushings Coat

My horse Rudy has a one inch-summer coat and a five-inch winter one.  He is responding to Pergolide and diet changes but the coat stays.  It is starting to get hot in Missouri and I would like to get a clipper and shorten his summer coat now, and his winter coat (not AS short) next spring.  I did some research and came up with this set of clippers.  Will this do for trimming twice a year?  If not, what should I look for that will not break the bank?

Thank you,

Judy in SW Missouri
4/2014

barbara steadman

Hi Judy - agree completely with Kerry's thoughts....

The only A5 type clipper that might be worth considering is the Andis 5 speed but even then you would most likely have to clip in stages.  I know the mini people use this clipper on those little woolly mammmoth minis but some say it doesn't quite work on the first clip of the Spring and others say no problem so not sure how it would be in your case.  I would try to borrow one before purchasing to see how it does in your case

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=f3943af0-5d01-4db4-95c1-609fa9a6bf58&ccd=IGO047&gclid=CNGdjr6LiMYCFQcRHwod3xAAZg

The Star Lister is a nice powerful lightweight clipper and a very good choice

The Oster Clipmasters are also powerful but a bit heavier than the Listers

Barbara
CT
Berry over the Bridge Cushings
Mandy, mini donkey IR

The Clipper Barn of CT

Mark & Judy Meadows <marktime@...>

Thanks, Kerry.  No, my horse is an outdoor pasture horse.  What you are telling me suggests that the Andis won't do.  I don't need fancy, but I need sturdy and workable.  I should have mentioned that I only have a left hand--my other arm is cut off above the elbow.  That makes some difference too.  I intend to clip only twice a year,  if that is enough.  I know that I should bathe him first.

Judy in SWMO
4/2014
--
Mark & Judy Meadows
~in the Missouri Ozarks

hawkhilldeb@...

Hi Judy--  I only have a section B Welsh pony (he's still pretty big) but, and I know this sounds hard to believe, I have had good success for the last three years clipping him with this:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=2e87c446-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5&ccd=IGO047&gclid=CPCFtr2liMYCFc9hfgodXK8AEA

It is a cordless Arco SE clipper.  I got it because at 22 years, Cory had never been clipped and I didn't want to have a battle with him.  I hoped the cordless clipper would be quiet and unobtrusive and in fact, with his fan on he doesn't even notice it.  I don't even think this is advertised as a horse clipper.

In less than an hour I can have all of his winter coat off of him and he looks pretty good.  I admit that there are some rough spots, but that's me, not the clipper.  I am only interested in getting the long hair off.

I did buy a new blade this year, and it was like a hot knife through butter.  Also, Cory hates being bathed and although I did my best, I wouldn't say he was the cleanest horse.  So, I do recommend this clipper with the caveat that I don't know how large Rudy is or how the clipper would work on a large animal.  The blade is only about an inch and three quarters.  I am only telling you all of this because before I ordered it I dithered for weeks trying to figure out what to get.  I wished I had more info.

Deb and Cory in NC
July 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory5/files/Deb%20Funderburk%20in%20NC/
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ECHistory5/photos/albums/1275105710

Chanda

I have the Arco SE cordless too.   While I haven't clipped my Cushing's gelding with it, I did clip 3 yearling minis with it last spring, one was extremely hairy and one was largely shed out.  I did one per day and it got through all three, unwashed.  I was duly impressed.

Chanda

MT 9/04

Dee Kenville <ndeewoods@...>

Donna Powell

Dee,

Do you oil it every 3 minutes like the instructions say?   Is that a pain?

To: EquineCushings@...
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2015 6:00 PM
Subject: [EquineCushings] Re: Clippers for Cushings Coat

We use these on icelandics, they are amazing!  A professional groomer turned me onto them.

Dee Kenville, Santa Cruz, CA

Dee Kenville <ndeewoods@...>

Teri

Getting in late on this conversation, but...

I used the Andis clippers on my mini, Stormy who had winter hair like Yak fur...and they worked well.  It would take quite a while to clip a full sized horse with these clippers though.
Something that helped me tremendously was a tip I got on ECHorsekeeping.  After bathing your horse, spray all over with Show Sheen.  You won't believe how much easier the blades glide through the hair. 

Teri and Stormy... running circles around the other horses in horsey heaven.   She would have given the Energizer Bunny a run for his money in her younger days! :-) 
Indy 2012

Donna Powell

Thank you.

To: EquineCushings@...
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2015 12:47 AM
Subject: [EquineCushings] Re: Clippers for Cushings Coat

Yes I do, but it is super easy and there are only a couple things to oil like that....:)
Dee from Santa Cruz, CA

__._,_._

Donna Powell

Dee,
I purchased these clippers and WOW!  I have never body clipped and they made me look like a Rock Star!  Thanks for the great info.  I loved that you only oil and not oil, spray cool, clean.  Just oil. Oh, and of course brush off excess hair from clippers and blades.
Donna, Beaufort, SC 5/2011
ECHistory8

Nancy C

For those of you who need clippers sharpened, The Clipper Barn owner, Barb in CT, has been a long time member and I believe, still offers 10% off for ECIR Group members.

They sharpened mine a few years ago, and, wow, what a difference.  I don't body clip but it's one of those things.  When you want to use them you want them right.

The Clipper Barn of CT - Clipper Blade Sharpening, Scissor Sharpening, Clipper Repairs Connecticut

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Group Moderator 2003

To learn more about the impact of fructan, understanding and diagnosing PPID and IR, nutrition, the foot, prevention of and rehab from laminitis, please join us at the 2015 NO Laminitis! Conference in Georgetown, Texas, November 6-8. 13 hours of continuing education credit available. http://www.nolaminitis.org/…/program-schedule/guest-speakers

Judy L. Meadows <marktime@...>

I bought clippers from Barbara at the Clipper Barn of CT and clipped my Cushings horse Rudy last week.  He looks great, and I know he must feel so much better in our humid 90 degree days! :)

Judy in SWMO
4/2014

--
Judy L. Meadows
~in the Missouri Ozarks