Escaped pony!

beverly meyer

I read the Escape files and gave her extra magnesium for a total dose today of 5000mg.

I never felt pulses before.  I can feel her existing ouchy left fore pulse pretty easily but how soon after grass would it elevate or bound, and is there any way to tell if that's her normal ouchy pulse?

It doesn't feel hard and pushy, but like a good steady pulse should feel if I took it on myself.  I read they are often very faint though.

Her heart rate is 48 bpm, which is only a tad higher than her normal 42.

Should I tape some ice packs on anyway, or would that make her already present laminits worse??

Thanks! She was out for an hour. Grass and clover are very green but not tall. She has front teeth but no back teeth.  I guess I skip Jiagulan tonight too, right?

Beverly 6/14

Beverly Texas

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Hi Beverly,

Are you saying you don't know how to feel for pulses on a horse or you have never felt any pulses on Ginger before? "Normal ouchy pulse" I am a bit at a loss here with what you are describing.  Here is a link (below) which may help you sort this out.

You write " Should I tape some ice packs on anyway, or would that make her already present laminits worse??"    Was she experiencing laminitis before she "escaped"?

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  10/12

Equine Digital Pulses How and Why

beverly meyer

She's been lame for months, or even years off and on.  The last 2 weeks she has been better although still very delicate with left fore.
So yes, chronic laminitis and uncontrolled insulin.
I taped ice above her hooves, but don't know how to tell if Ishould do acute mode stuff instead of Chronic mode.
Such as, stay on or go off JHerb or Alcar.  I don't have Phyto Quench which I read is for Acute.
I can find and feel pulses on both front but don't know what is an emergnecy pulse and what is an I'm already sore because I live this way kind of pulse.  I'm willing to stay up tonight if I knew what to do to be sure.
Also, if she's iced, but NOT emergnecy mode, would that harm her lack of circulaiton that I give Jherb for? And thus cause more laminitis?
Thanks!!
Beverly 6/14

beverly meyer

And should I avoid Jherb and ALcar tonight?
Bottom line question is how do you know if going into acute mode, and when to stop or start supplements or meds suitable for chronic but not for acute.
I don't have Metformin which the files suggest. Would extra lysine help or just magnesium?
Thanks,
Beverly 6/14

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Hi Beverly,

Are you referring to the definitions for Acute and Chronic in this document "Pain Relief Alternatives to Bute and Banamine"?

When you read the document's sections on Acute Laminitis and Chronic Laminitis each gives you guidelines for supplementing with J-Herb and ALCar.  I would continue to use J-Herb and ALCar unless she has pounding pulses and heat in her hooves.   Since she has on-going hoof issues and probably some vascular damage from past episodes I would monitor her hooves for heat and ice accordingly.  You are the best judge of how to interpret the recommendations in the document as they apply to Ginger and adjust based on her responses.

The additional Magnesium is a good thing to add to her diet regardless of acute or chronic.

This is how I understand the document and the recommendations.  The Moderators  may have other suggestions for you.

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  10/12

 Equine Cushings and Insulin Resistance

fionn@...

Check out this file for my do-it-yourself ice boots that you can make with $5 worth of ice and some stuff you probably already have.

Icing can’t hurt…surely.  And getting the inflammation down will definitely help!  Good luck!

Michelle Peck Williams & Fionn
Lexington, Kentucky USA
Joined June 2012
fionn@...

On Jun 11, 2015, at 5:55 PM, bmeyer@... [EquineCushings]

I read the Escape files and gave her extra magnesium for a total dose today of 5000mg.

I never felt pulses before.  I can feel her existing ouchy left fore pulse pretty easily but how soon after grass would it elevate or bound, and is there any way to tell if that's her normal ouchy pulse?

It doesn't feel hard and pushy, but like a good steady pulse should feel if I took it on myself.  I read they are often very faint though.

Her heart rate is 48 bpm, which is only a tad higher than her normal 42.

Should I tape some ice packs on anyway, or would that make her already present laminits worse??

Thanks! She was out for an hour. Grass and clover are very green but not tall. She has front teeth but no back teeth.  I guess I skip Jiagulan tonight too, right?

Beverly 6/14

Beverly Texas

fionn@...

Sorry, forgot to trim! Dang it.

Michelle Peck Williams & Fionn
Lexington, Kentucky USA
Joined June 2012
fionn@...

beverly meyer

Happy pony today, thank goodness.
I iced last night for a few hours only, and withheld Alcar and JHerb but added extra magnesium.
Today no pulses, and the lowest heart rate I ever took on her, at 38, so she's good.
Thanks everyone. I had a little chat with the groomer who left her gate open....
Beverly 6/14