The IR blues...NOW: the complete picture

Nancy C

Just a reminder for young diagnosed horses. The complete picture needs to be taken in to account: symptoms, how the horse was diagnosed, time of year, what test, and under what conditions. . Even which lab. Why we want you to understand the differences in recommended tests.

Sticking my neck out here but suspect that there are more than a few horses, hopefully not on this list, that are unnecessarily on pergolide because the whole picture was not looked at.

It's why we are so tough in asking for your updated case history.  We want to help you look at the whole picture, with all details in place, before you make a decision.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003
FACT:  With over 12,000 members and thousands of detailed case histories the ECIR Group has made it possible to spot patterns, many of which have been confirmed later by formal study.  See  E. M. Kellon, VMD, The Internet as an Epidemiological Tool, 2013 NO Laminitis! Proceedings, Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Group Inc.

Kerry Isherwood

Hey Nancy,

Believe me, I do not want another PPID horse! I really dont think my gelding is truly PPID at 8 yrs old, but want to be thorough w the bloodwork work-up. He has no other PPID symptoms other than this new (possible) refractory hyperinsulinemia.

A reknown show hunter trainer I chatted with recently remarked that she has many of her horses on pergolide, especially her ponies. She puts them on it "whenever their insulin gets high". Holy crap! Who's prescribing this? Scary!

Anyway, i do appreciate your input. I think there was a slip in my gelding's routine and his IR flare is just that, a temporary flare. Unfortunately he's boarded, is in the front paddock along the road, and has the friendly 'please feed me' face that he uses without shame. He even ate my "No Treats" sign off the fence but luckily left the more serious "Im diabetic!" one in place (thought using bigger medical terms might help with compliance).

Ill post my CH, rads, body/hoof photos, bloodwork hay analysis etc later today.

Thx again,
Kerry

Nancy C

Hi Kerry

I should clarify, was not necessarily speakling just to you.  I think I know you know what ECIR conerns are about testing for PPID.  Wanted also to speak to folks who are mostly new to us or had not considered the variations in lab testing and the impact it may or may not have on PPID diagnosis.  Or IR diagnosis for that matter.

Besides sneaking the green or forbidden stuff and uncontrolled PPID, high insulin can be driven by lyme disease, iron overload and mare issues.  I know you know that. :-)

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Group Moderator
February 2003

Learn a lot more at the 2015 NO Laminitis! Conference, November 6-9, 2015, Georgetown TX.
http://nolaminitis.org/index.php