Po rubbed a bloody raw spot on his rear

What causes this? I haven't wormed him in quite a while because of his laminitis. His lameness is much better, but I wouldn't call him sound yet by any means. I'm hesitant to call the vet because he'll suggest something that could cause another bad laminitis flare up and I don't want to go through that again. My vet is not IR educated. If Po needs a steroid shot can he have that? Should I go ahead and worm him with something? What should I use? So far, I poured some iodine on it, and then puffed some activated charcoal, and then sprayed fly spray.

Coral & Po

Sept 2013

Corpus Christi

Chanda

Sometimes they'll rub a lot if their sheath needs cleaning, even to the point of rubbing their butt raw, it's as close as they can get to itching their sheath area, so they just rub away on their butt.

Sorry, I can't answer your dewormer question.

Chanda

MT 9/04

Kerry Isherwood

If u havent dewormed in awhile, you might want to submit a fecal sample to check for parasites and do a fecal egg count to determine how much load (if any) he's carrying. You may be able to drop off sample at your vet's office and save the farm call fee. These tests will determine what dewormer--if any--is necessary.

Also, iodine is fairly caustic so may aggrevate the wound & cause more itching. Fly spray around the wound (via cloth) or a product like "SWAT" will keep flies at bay. Try to keep the fly repellents out of the wound, though.

Kerry in NY
Sept 2014

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Hi Coral,

There is a document in the Files "Updated Deworming Guidelines" that you may find helpful.  In my experience a sheath in need of cleaning and/or Pinworms will cause tail rubbing.  Since Pinworms colonize on the rectum I have found wiping the rectum off with Vaseline/paper towel brings some relief until the dewormer kicks in.  I have found cleaning the sheath and checking for beans brings almost immediate relief.  I would not use a steroid shot.  Cleansing the raw area with a mild soap and applying a barrier such as Zim's Crack Cream should help with the healing.  I would avoid any topical that might cause more irritation to the skin...i.e Iodine or fly spray.   Other Members may have suggestions for other mild topical treatments that are effective.

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  10/12

Equine Cushings and Insulin Resistance

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Coral, Adding on to my post regarding a topical suggestion for Po.  If you go to the document "What to do about Cullicoid Sensitivity there are some suggestions for "physical barriers".

EquineCushings & IR - Off Topic Issues

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  10/12

Hi Coral,

my pony has rubbed his butt sore for years every summer, even though I kept spraying him to keep the bugs off.  I actually think that they might be rubbing their butt because the belly (or as otherwise suggested the sheath) is itching.  There has also always been a spot on his belly that was rough and the flies liked to go there.  I have had bad experience with using too much commercial fly spray so I make my own.  This year I have sprayed him at least twice a day on his belly and under the tail and around the head of the tail.  So far he doesn't have the rough spots on his belly and he is barely scratching his butt.  On heavy insect days I dab on some undiluted essential oil of cedar wood on his belly and under the tail.  I make my own fly spray with water, Avon Skin So Soft, and a mixtures of essential oils (Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Cedarwood, Geranium Rose, Lavender) and some Flicks.  Works as well as the commercial stuff, and my horses don't run from it when I spray them, and it smells divinely.  It doesn't last but a half day, but in my opinion neither does the commercial stuff, unless you go heavy duty, which has caused my horses some problems in the past.  Hope this helps.

Claudia, OH
NRC11/08, NAT 02/09

Sharon Manning

www.campho.com

Campho-Phenique helps to treat cold sores and relieves pain & itching associated with insect bites, scrapes and minor burn.

I have also found this to repel insects
I mix it in any kind of soothing heavy cream or pretrollium  jelly and use to keep Miggies  away.
Sharon
East TN
2006
Sent from my iPhone