steaming hay

I just wanted to double check everything I was reading- steaming hay does not lower the sugar and starch. Correct? Am currently soaking and was looking for a better solution. Thanks!

Beth & Flame

NV Oct 2013

Donna Coughlin

Somewhere in the files is a "report" I did on steaming vs. soaking, especially how it affected s/s. I think it was Nancy who said there's not much change in major minerals, and that was also true.

The short answer is that despite the fact that the HayGain steamer people claim the steamer will lower s/s, it honestly doesn't, except by a few tenths of a percent. I did lots of research online, and found very little actual "scientific" evidence, since most people were not actually testing ESC and starch. I used Equi-Analytical for my little test.

I do have a steamer, and it's great for COPD, but for one awful year, I was both steaming and soaking.....I assume you've tested and your hay is over 10% s/s? The steamer is also a bit of a pain, as well, but at least in the winter I wasn't trying to find a place to dump all that water--no perfect solution.

So sorry not to have a better answer!

Donna Coughlin, Duke, Robin and Obi
CT 2009

Tina Martin

Beth,

I spoke with someone from HayGain two years ago and was told it does not reduce s/s.  I was tired of soaking hay (especially in the winter) and was looking for a better and easier way.

I stumbled across the "porta-grazer" just last week.  It's a kind of drum with an insert to allow for natural grazing (from the ground).  I don't have to soak right now but was getting tired of being covered in hay twice a day from filling the freedom feeder nets for my horse.  When I checked their online catalog I saw a soaker option.  Google the website and take a look.  It may work for you.  I ordered one of those "porta grazers" and will try it out, not for soaking but for feeding grass hay.  It's on the way and I'm curious to see how it works.

Hopefully, I haven't wasted my money - they're pretty expensive.  Maybe someone else has had one before and can tell us if it works.  Anything to make life easier :)

Tina & Rio (on 32mg pergolide again but feeling well and being ridden barefoot)
Atlanta, 2011

Not sure where my CH is anymore...

Lorna Cane

>Not sure where my CH is anymore...

  Lorna in Ontario,Canada

ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Robyn Tucker <VenturesV@...>

Hi all, for all those who may be interested in the Porta Grazer (PG), I have 6. Love them!! And so do my horses. They will eat out of the pg even when loose hay is available.
The pan has holes in the top to access and pull the hay through.

The pgs are Great in winter and summer. The pan insert and plastic can can get hot though in high temps above 80/85, but putting them under a tree or in a run in or other barn, will take care of that. Simply fold a flake in an inverted V and put the pan in and you are all set. The horses learn to tip them over to loosen the hay as it gets packed down. They like to roll them too!!!
We take the pgs with to endurance rides and camping trips.
Totally worth the money.
Robyn and Toons, San Francisco 2015

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 19, 2015, at 4:00 PM, bettina@... [EquineCushings] <EquineCushings@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all your replies! I will look I to the Porta Grazer.

Beth & Flame
NV Oct 2013

Sent from my iPhone

celestinefarm

I own a HayGain Steamer that I use to reduce allergens for my Cushings stallion who has had periodic bouts of heaves, and HayGain's literature that comes with the steamer and their website specifically tell the reader that the steamer WILL NOT reduce S/S. In fact they point out that for those who do not need S/S reduced in their hay, that it also doesn't reduce vit and mineral content because there isn't a volume of water used and therefore doesn't need to be recalculated for balancing. If you have hay over 10% , you will need to soak it to reduce S/S content.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History