Long Distance Transport,Supplements or Gear?

Tori Cullins

Suggestions for supplements and gear for long distance transport of IR pony? Chronic laminitis since Dec. 2014, foundered in May 2015. Gets around well in boots. Hard to keep diet adequate and get good care in my location (Hawaii) so moving to southern Oregon.

Orion (pony) has Soft Ride boots with the blue pad for the fronts and i'm using Swiss Horse Boots for the backs. I usually use rope halters and yacht rope leads.

Both are on a mineral balanced diet (well, fairly balanced now, will be fully on next week), including flax, mag, and vit E. The vet has OK'd them for 2 tubes (4 days) of Ulcer Guard. No other recommendations given, I asked about ulcer prevention.

They are flying out of Hawaii Aug 8. One hour trailering to airport, 2 hours before plane takes off, five hours in flight. Still unknown (I should call) how long they  will be on the ground in LA before they are commercially trailered to Oregon, maybe even be overnight or longer.However, once on the road again it will be about 12 hours to our new front door, if driving straight through.

I also do not know , as of yet, what the plane or commercial trailer people will allow them to wear, ie shipping boots, etc. but it will be HOT outside.

Maybe I should wait until September? It's hottest in Hawaii in Sept/Oct., humid, and doesn't cool off at night. Big temp differences between day and night in Oregon and should have cooled off quite a bit coming into fall (if I wait until Sept).  I'm thinking August,a s we're also likely to get hit by a hurricane this year and try get 'safe' food then...

Tori and Orion, Hawaii

April 2015

ECHistory8

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Hi Tori,

I found an article from The Horse that came up in my search.  Hopefully, Members with first hand experience can you some suggestions with your flight preparation and timing for your horses upcoming move from Hawaii to Oregon.

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  10/12

How to Reduce Transport Stress in Horses

Tori Cullins

Thank you Kathy!

Tori and Orion, Hawaii (for now)
April 2015

Tori Cullins

Thanks Kathy, Still reserching on my end also... Packing for the move yesterday, I came across Dr. Kellon’s Horse 'Nutraceuticals and Supplements' book. Didn’t even realize it was on my bookshelf! I kinda remember buying and looking it over a year or so ago. It being a little over my head then, given the horses were ‘healthy’. I literally shelved it for later.

Yesterday I sat on the floor upon finding it and finished it off before I got up. Wish I would’ve stumbled on it last Dec. when Orion’s chronic problems took hold. I remember looking over my bookshelves a few times since then for reference material and missed it. Also wish I would’ve given it more of a chance before shelving it. The boys were showing signs of (at the least) described copper and/or zinc deficiencies at that time.

I'm thinking of APF. Was also looking at U-Guard rather than Ulcer_Guard (vet recommended) as it also has high magnesium (calming effects).  However it seems Ulcer Guard is the only one proven to prevent ulcers. More so because it comes in an easy to give powder form vs. the syringe. Though its high time to get them used to the syringe, a good medical procedure to be used to.

Thoughts from members?

Tori and Orion, Hawaii

April 2015

ECHistory8

janieclougher@...

Hi, Tori -

Jen McGeehan did the opposite trip to you with her 29 year old, PPID, recovered founder gelding Smoke - they loaded up and went to Hawaii.  There are a few good suggestions for traveling with compromised horses in the various posts to and from Jen.

I am having a complete brain fart about the useful suggestions right now, but I know there was some good info.

Cheers,

Tori Cullins

Thank you Jaini!

ferne fedeli

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 11:37 AM, wildside@... [EquineCushings] <EquineCushings@...> wrote:

I'm thinking of APF. Was also looking at U-Guard rather than Ulcer_Guard (vet recommended) as it also has high magnesium (calming effects).

Thoughts from members?

​>We have an Appaloosa that went through several colics over a 2-week period two+ years ago.  Our vet at the time said he expected that the horse might have a ulcer and recommended Ulcer-Guard.  I saw an article from Dr. Kellon about ulcer treatments and she mentioned that some people had good luck with U-Guard.  Since it was way cheaper, I decided to give it a try.  I gave it to him 3 times a day for several weeks and then switched to 2 times a day, which I give him with 2 cups of pellets before he eats anything else AM and PM.  He never had another colic attack!  Of course, to be fair, we also took him off grass hay and feed him soaked ODTB cubes and pellets and he spends the afternoon out at pasture.  ( He is not IR or PPID).,​