Tofurky mark-ups

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Kerry,

I've added some mark-ups to Tofurky's album:

As usual, the order is based on Neo's whims so please bear with me. Also, it seems the font and text color are being a bit pscyhotic as well...

Overall, the toes are miles too long (horizontally) on all four and the heels are severely under run. This has stretched his soles thin, which is apparent in the xrays. There is some mild wall flaring. His stance looks like it may be somewhat over at the knees (?), which is a compensatory action to ease the strain on the tendons and ligaments from the almost ground parallel coffin bones. In time, the under run heels can also affect the ability of the stay apparatus to function correctly as they prevent the knees from being able to remain upright so they cannot lock. Frogs are contracted  and migrated forward and digital cushions are both atrophied and displaced rearward. There is sinking so although it looks like there is too much overall hoof, there really isn’t as the bony column is sitting lower inside the hoof capsule than it should be. Makes perfect sense that he would be sore.

LF Xray: Yellow 1 is the coronary band, 2 is the extensor process. These should be aligned, or very close together. The space between them indicates there is distal descent, aka sinking. The green line follows the angle of the new wall growth toward the ground. Blue line is where the toe needs to be backed to, and beveled, in order to align the wall with the position of the break over point for the coffin bone. Currently, there is quite a bit of leverage being exerted on the laminar connections with every step taken, prying them from their tight hold on the coffin bone. The dished profile of the dorsal wall attests to the loosening of the bonds as you get further away from the coronary band. Dark purple follows the broken back pastern axis while the light purple is where it should be. The coffin bone is sitting almost ground parallel at rest, which means it goes into a negative plane configuration under load, thus hyper-extending the tendons and ligaments with each step taken. The Pink arrow is indicating the need to get the rear of the coffin bone raised in relation to the front, which in turn will help realign the pastern axis (orange arrow). It will also lessen the apparent degree of sinking a bit.

RF lateral: The green line follows the angle of the new growth, blue is where the toe needs to backed to and beveled to ease the breakover a bit more. The red lines trace some of the horn tubules to highlight how angled forward they are growing in relation to the correct dorsal wall angle and to the almost vertical angle the heels should have.

RF lateral 2: Pink follows the angle of the new growth and where the heel should be. Yellow line is the area of missing heel support. The gray "erasing" is to give you an idea of what the foot should actually look like.

RF sole: The pink is where the heel buttresses are currently located. Blue is where they should be, even with the widest part of the frog and each other. They will need to be backed quite a bit to achieve the proper location but this is going to have to be done as many, many finesse moves as you have no excess height in the rear of the foot to lose. One or two light passes of the rasp to expose more surface further back is it per session, combined with removing narrow slivers in the area between the outer wall and the bar so you expose the sole that is buried there. Once per week or two weeks - no longer between tweaks. Green is where the toe needs to be backed to. This is by rasping from the top perpendicular to the current angle of the dorsal wall. Purple is the excess bar material that is leaning outward and putting pressure on the heels and quarters plus covering the sole as well. It is serving a vital support role as the heels aren't currently available to do their job effectively. They will also need to be shaved, not amputated, each session to keep them slightly below the level of the walls and close to the level of the sole. The walls should not be left more than a millimeter or two higher than the sole. The sole-frog-digital cushion and walls are all meant to be weight bearing structures but the walls should not be in the primary role. Bevel the walls inward from the top all the way around so as to deflect the concussive forces upon impact.

Boots and pads at all times to maintain comfort are going to be huge while he rehabs. The more comfortable he is, the more correctly he moves and the faster the feet heal. Experiment with the type of padding, placement, cutouts to find what he prefers. Be prepared to change as he changes.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

lj friedman

Have you ever tried using flicker photo right next to your analysis and corrections needed for each hoof?   I read all your posts but find it hard to follow which foot is which pic?   It seemed very smooth to click on the flickr photo included in the email?   lj friedman.. san diego

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Lj,

I know it's a bit cumbersome to pop back and forth between the analysis and the pix, that's why I label each section of the narrative the same as the corresponding picture. It's also why I include the link to the album where the pictures are uploaded in the post, so it is readily available to anyone following that thread.

Sorry, I'm somewhat techie challenged so I don't know what "using a flicker photo" means. If it means adding an attachment to the narrative - that isn't allowed on the list so wouldn't be plausible. I am assuming you read messages from the Digest format and that Yahoo automatically includes any new photos in the digest? If so, do the labels not appear with the pictures? As I don't use the digest format I am unfamiliar with how it functions. Appreciate anyone who can enlighten me on this.