Decision re WNV vaccine need advice

kninformation@...

Hi- In 2008 I vaccinated my 2 IR (one also PPID) for WNV and both foundered 4 days later. Could be a coincidence but not in my mind. So I have not vaccinated them for that since then. There has been a case nearby in a nonvaccinated horse. Can you imagine my dilemma??? Has there been any change in the vaccine since 2008 to improve it or make it less likely to provoke a bad reaction? Do I take a chance on vaccination or live with possibly losing one my beloveds to WNV? Thanks.

Amy in VA
member since 2005

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Amy,

Which vaccine did you use? There are several out there, each made by a different company. You could try having titres done to see what their antibody status is.

Have you done any other vaccinations on your two since than? If so, have they had a reaction to any of the other types of vaccines?

Totally get the dilemma - many of us have been there.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

"Totally get the dilemma - many of us have been there. "
No truer words!  My mare had multiple laminitic episodes after her last WNV vaccination.  I am taking the "never again approach" which may change to "get titers NOW approach" at any time.   I live less than 1/4 mile from a creek too.  Always something,
Nancy and Jazzi (doing really well at present)
March 2013
San Diego County

Nancy C

Agree with titers.  It is a gut wrenching decision.  So many times though the horses are subclinical and it is the vax that puts them over the edge.  IOW, por diet, undiagnosed IR and/or PPID, high insulin, poor hoof form and ??? has them hanging on the cliff edge and the vax pushes them over.

If you chose to get the vax, I would take her out of shoes if she's in them and make sure she is freshly trimmed prior to the vax.

Would also try to find out what you used before and use a different vax this time.

Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup