Jesse.. a few stumbles today

lj friedman

Jesse hasnt been ridden in a few days because its been so hot and the trainer usually rides him in late afternoon.. Ive been walking him.. This evening,.. he stumbled 3 times, nothing major , just a break in his normal stride, but it alarmed me. .. not sure which leg.. etc.. I asked a trainer to have a look and she said it looked like he wasnt lifting his back legs very much.. Possible causes?   seasonal rise?  change from prascend to compounded?  My feeling is that the answer could be to increase pergolide?  I have the vet coming on Tues for my other horse, so I can have him have a look.  I have increased pergolide  from 2mg to 3mg and see no other changes. Sometimes it seems that he needs to warm up from being old and stiff., but the stumbles happened in the beginning of the walk and after 10 minutes as well   He is also on mov ease. Could it be the very hot weather we;ve been having  100 degree highs and often 90 degrees at 7pm. He does have full shade and I hose him down as well.

lj friedman san diego nov 2014

ECHistory8

lj friedman

With the seasonal rise still in effect., I was told to re-test and re assess mid September.. when does the rise start to taper off.. If the vet is coming out on tuesday, sept 15th, should I re test  cornell labs then?

Valletta Lochridge

As a practitioner of Equine Craniosacral Therapy, I see many horses who drag their hinds or stumble in the hinds.  Often, this issue
is a result of problems in the low back and/or hind limbs.  I'm not saying that this is the cause of Jesse's stumbles today.  I'm only saying that if it continues, (and I would watch it very closely) you may need to look into physical issues and pain.  You've said in the past that Jesse has been diagnosed with arthritis.  Be aware that, as in humans, the arthritis may not be limited to only the joints near the feet.

Valletta in CA
Jan 2012

lj friedman

thanks for the reply.. I guess I'm brainwashed that the answer to everything is to increase pergolide.. Jesse finished a pentosan regimen a few weeks ago as well as being on mov ease.  thanks for suggesting an alternative cause..   lj friedman san diego nov 2014

LJ,

You mentioned Jesse's had a few days off and that its hot -- likely he's just stiff from not moving, as most older horses tend to be (PPID or not) when they miss several consecutive days of working. I'd keep an eye on it but wouldnt worry just yet. Likely when your trainer starts riding again he'll loosen back up.

I find when its exceptionally hot my horses tend to stand around (they live out 24/7) more than usual and the older ones get a bit stiff.

Without any other problems noted I dont think I'd worry too much abt the stumbling just yet. Its excellent you are observing Jesse so astutely -- hopefully you are keeping a journal of your notes.

Is Jesse acting fine in every other way (eating, drinking, urinating, defecating, bright/alert, etc?)

Kerry in NY
Sept 2014

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Hi Lj,

Just a thought...when was his last hoof trim?  How is his trim looking and working for him?  I have an arthritic QH who I need to keep any eye on so that his toes and break over are correct or he will drag his hind toes and stumble........and his stride is wonky.

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  10/12

Nancy C

Agree, Kathy, that feet would be a good first place to look. Hinds are often forgotten, or last minute, and so important, but if the fores are off too, it can cause stumbling, back and hip issues.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Group mod
February 2003

Early Bird Registration for the 2015 NO Laminitis Conference expires in 11 days.
nolaminitis.org

---In EquineCushings@..., <kathbrink@...> wrote :

Hi Lj,

Just a thought...when was his last hoof trim?

lj friedman

Thanks for the reply. Jesse is alert and appears otherwise normal.. His last trim was 8/21 and the feet look okay. Sending in pix for Lavania to look at, is my plan.  lj friedman san diego nov 2014.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Agree 100% with both Kathy and Nancy here, Lj.

Jesse's trim did have issues in the beginning and there haven't been any updates in some time so if things have slipped a bit, esp behind, it could easily explain the situation you're seeing.

Easy fix - get the trim on track.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team