two doses of tramadol for laminitis

lj friedman

i read a blip about 2 doses of tramadol to achieve painrelief with laminitis   do we use tramadol?  (from recent les vegas equine conference)  lj friedman san diego   

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Hi Lj,

As you know, it is very difficult for anyone to respond to a question about a "blip" you read and much more helpful to include a link.   Not sure what you mean when you mention the Las Vegas equine conference.  Was there a presentation on Tramadol?   Have you searched the archives?  

Is this the information that you are referring to from this study?

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  10/12

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

--In EquineCushings@..., <lj_friedman@...> wrote :

i read a blip about 2 doses of tramadol to achieve painrelief with laminitis   do we use tramadol?

============

First, if it's the study Kathy found, it's not two doses, it's the effect of two different trial doses.

The higher oral dose reduced weight shifting and was tolerated for a week. There were only four horses.

Problems:

Tramadol is a narcotic.  During use, there is the risk of gut slowing and agitation. Dependency can develop with withdrawal when it is stopped.

This drug also increases concentrations of serotonin in the brain with risk of withdrawal similar to that seen with SSRI tranquilizers.  High serotonin might also make it contraindicated in PPID horses because serotonin is a dopamine antagonist.

Eleanor in PA

www.drkellon.com

EC Co-owner

Feb 2001

lj friedman

i think this is a different .     from the vegas aaep, michelle anderson from the horse.com tweeted on a presentation from dec.06  she labled it as a top tweet      oral use of tramadol.... don't forget it as an option for pain management.  i can't find the subject matter  now.  lj friedman san diego   

Nancy C

Tramadol has been discussed at length and often over the years.  Lots in the message archives.

Equine Cushings and Insulin Resistance

It would be helpful to have exact post, tweet, whatever so we can see if there is anything new there.  So far, not seeing anything new.

Found this

http://beta.thehorse.com/articles/36828/sundays-top-tweets-from-the-2015-aaep-convention

Exact quote from the media person is Oral tramadol use for laminitis: don't forget it as an option for pain management.

IME, and 100s here as well,  to get a horse comfortable and address best outcome for rehabilitation you need to remove the trigger,  fix the diet, address the trim, put him on a conformable surface. Add in jiaogulan.  Would recommend review of 2013 NO Laminitis conference proceedings, Kellon on Endothelin-1 and Bowker on Nerves, on Vascular and on Suspensory.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

Support the work of the ECIR Group Inc.

Raise Money For Anything - An Online Fundraising Website | Razoo

---In EquineCushings@..., <lj_friedman@...> wrote :

from the vegas aaep, michelle anderson from the horse.com tweeted on a presentation from dec.06  she labled it as a top tweet      oral use of tramadol.... don't forget it as an option for pain management.  i can't find the subject matter  now.  lj friedman san diego   

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

It's very common for studies to be reported first in preliminary form at meetings.

Eleanor in Pa
www.drkellon.com
EC Co-owner
Feb 2001