Topics

Volunteers are Our Lifeblood

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Everything you learn from the ECIR outreach groups is the result of many hardworking people from all backgrounds who share the passion for our special horses. The ECIR group is made up of veterinarians, farriers, nutritionists, and medical doctors. There are those of us who do not have scientific backgrounds, but are everyday horse owners who found our way to ECIR when we didn’t know where to turn.

ECIR Group is over 12,000 international members on Yahoo outreach alone.   By collecting histories and laboratory data from thousands of horses with PPID and IR, we have been able to carefully monitor responses to treatment and management changes, both good and bad. This is real life, in-the-barn, research at its best. It is also the largest field trial in the world.  No one else has what the ECIR Group has.

There is much more to come. This work can not be done without the help of a growing group of passionate volunteers, many of whom you have never seen.

Our deepest thanks go to our 2015 army of volunteers who:

Review and summarize the latest research
Provide reports from personal barn experiences
Help us understand equine physiology
Help us understand our diagnosis, diet, trim and exercise plans
Guide newcomers in learning the ropes
Provide behind-the-scenes organization
Aid in conference planning
Assist with our web site and internet development
Help us with public relations
Help raise funds for nonprofit goals
Manage our administrative needs
Provide ongoing online support
Guide us through their governance oversight.

We are all educators who make our world a better place by sharing the knowledge we gain from our experiences and our skill sets. Thanks to these generous volunteers:

2015 ECIR Group outreach volunteers

Susan, Web Support
Cassandra Bernstein, Tech Ambassador
George Brown, Tech Ambassador
LeeAnne Bloye, Archivist, Databases
Lorna Cane, Moderator
Nancy Collins, Moderator, Administration, Facebook
Claire Cox, Moderator
Jaini Clougher, BSc., BVSc., Moderator
Susie Cranney, Databases, Tech Ambassador
Ferne Fedeli, Databases
Amberlee Ficociello, Web Support
Lavinia Fiscaletti, Moderator
Lesley Fraser, Tech Ambassador
Ulrike Popkin-Gast, Databases
Susie Gordon, MD, Moderator
Kathleen Gustafson, PhD, Research, Databases
Carla Hawks, Databases, Web Support
Jennie Hollis, Moderator
Cheryl Hooper, Moderator
Casey James, Databases
Eleanor M. Kellon, VMD, Moderator, Chief Volunteer
Cheryl Kirkus, Moderator
Susie (Sita) Laurino - Databases
Fran Metzger, Databases, Facebook
Pauline Naudi, Primary Response
Teresa Palumbo, Moderator
Joan Plevich, Databases
Maggie Rodgers, Moderator, Primary Response
Valeree Smith, Moderator
Jannalee Smithey, EDO, Databases, Administration
Patty Sobel, Databases

2015 Conference organizers and helpers:

Judy and Bill Carson
Jaini Clougher, BSc., BVSc.
Nancy Collins
Ulrike Popkin-Gast
Kathleen Gustafson, PhD
Christi Humphrey
Barbara Kelly
Christina Kuenen
Jodie Jensen
Eleanor M. Kellon, VMD
Cindy McGinley
Maggie Rodgers
Jannalee Smithey, EDO

Extra special thanks to:

Fran and Paul Metzger, Conference Hosts
Natalie Washburn, Super Conference Volunteer
Allana Kereluk,Graphic Design

2015 ECIR Group Inc. nonprofit volunteers:

Lorna Cane, Advisory Body
Nancy Collins, Treasurer, Director
Jaini Clougher, BSc., BVSc., President, Director, Veterinary Advisor
Claire Cox, Advisory Body, Nominating Committee
Kathleen Gustafson, PhD, Director, Research Advisor
Christi Humphrey, Governance, Organizational
Eleanor M. Kellon, VMD, Veterinary Advisor
Patti Kuvik, Advisory Body, Financial, Nominating Committee
Fan Metzger, Director, PR
Jannalee Smithey, EDO, Secretary, Director, Research

Extra special thanks to:

Harry Vogel, Senior Biologist, Executive Director, Loon Preservation Committee, Governance, Research
Roberta McCollum, CPA, MBA, MST, Toscano, Ardito, and McCollum, PC, CPA, Financial
VPGraphix, Web Support

Lastly, but by far the most important, thank you to the horses and their owners who have sought out and supported the ECIR Group by contributing their data.  It cannot be done without you.

Eleanor in PA

“You know those credit card commercials that run through a bunch of things with price tags and end with a moment that's "priceless"? That is truly how I feel every time a new member comes here frazzled or wired and strung out after being told their horse, pony, donkey or mule should be euthanized and then later tells us about the light coming back in their eyes, those first voluntary steps out of a stall, the first spontaneous trot, buck or canter or when the feet start to concave and a hundred other positive signs of getting well. Most of all, it's about the animals.”

Eleanor M Kellon, VMD

Shannon Krahenbuhl

Thank you thank your for all that you do for our beloved horses. --------------------------------------------

janieclougher@...

Dr. Kellon, you and the list and all the volunteers have been life-savers. Hmmmm.... I need to say that again:

Dr. Kellon, you and the list and all the volunteers have been life-savers.

The information we can find here is science- and evidence-based, and when the evidence changes - so does the information. Just exactly what we, as horse-owners, want!

I so very well recall a statement from one of my profs in vet school:  "Veterinary medicine is either ecstasy -  or necrosis!"  So true, but more importantly, when the life of an animal (and its person)  is improved, it is all worthwhile.  It truly is priceless.

Dr. Kellon, two of my horses were down and groaning with laminitis in the winter of 2009. I seriously thought of euthing the older guy, Merlin (28 at the time). They had bulging soles , burning feet, did not want to eat..... the whole nine yards.  There were no x-ray machines within a 5-hour drive at the time, but I took one look at the convex and bruised soles and figured they were not only laminitic, but foundered.  If I had not found this group, and had not followed the protocol, both these horses would have been euthed before 2010.

The  first photos are Merlin, age 30, 18 months after foundering.   The after photos of Maggie are 3 or so  years after foundering (she was sound and being ridden before then - disorganized mum, can't find pics) .  Merlin is now 34 1/2, and has spent the morning burning around in the snow chasing the girls and playing with the young gelding.  Maggie (who is between 28 and 32) likes to wear a blanket (everyone else in nekked); she bustles around, striding like a tiny warmblood, and dodging the gelding who would like to pull her blanket off. All the horses enjoy rushing about, but I so enjoy watching the two oldies trotting, cantering and kicking up their heels in response to snow falling off trees, or when coming for their beet pulp. Today, almost to the day, is  7 years after they blew their feet off due to IR.  Now - happy and healthy.

Pics below - I must get organized and post some pics from this year.

A thousand thank yous, and a thousand of every good and pure thing to the ECIR yahoo list.

Jaini and her happy crew

BC 09

“You know those credit card commercials that run through a bunch of things with price tags and end with a moment that's "priceless"? That is truly how I feel every time a new member comes here frazzled or wired and strung out after being told their horse, pony, donkey or mule should be euthanized and then later tells us about the light coming back in their eyes, those first voluntary steps out of a stall, the first spontaneous trot, buck or canter or when the feet start to concave and a hundred other positive signs of getting well. Most of all, it's about the animals.”

Eleanor M Kellon, VMD

ferne fedeli

To Jaini and Dr. Kellon both--and the many, many other beloved helpers!!!  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Ferne Fedeli

--
Ferne Fedeli
No. California

Ellen Fetterman

To Dr. Kellon and all the wonderful and dedicated volunteers,

      Please add my grateful thanks for sharing information, which help keep y mare healthy and sound.

Ellen and Annie
2014
L.I., N.Y.

edain_rides

This is the most amazing group.   I don't have a horse right now, but started with this group with my horse, Vista, who was IR and had PPID.  I have remained subscribed to this group for the continual education, and so I can help other horse-owners by telling them what I have learned and directing them to this unique and life-saving group.

 Thank you, Dr. Kellon, for writing this post to remind us all of how this group started and how it has grown, and for listing all the volunteers and what they do.  I had no idea of the number of volunteers, the number of tasks, and amount of work involved in keeping this remarkable ECIR group, and sister groups, going successfully and helping so many horse owners and their horses, and building a scientifically rigorous database to advance the science and treatment of PPID and IR.     This type of volunteer effort by any individual can quickly turn into the equivalent of a full-time job (albeit unpaid), and without the number of volunteers willing to donate their time any effort of this magnitude simply could not work for long.   The fact that ECIR group is going strong and growing over all these years is due to the volunteers, and to the thousands of horse owners who have helped to build this one-of-a-kind database.

Deep thanks to all of you!

Barbara Rosensteel
Tennessee
Sept. 2007 (or thereabouts)

---In EquineCushings@..., <drkellon@...> wrote :

Everything you learn from the ECIR outreach groups is the result of many hardworking people from all backgrounds who share the passion for our special horses. The ECIR group is made up of veterinarians, farriers, nutritionists, and medical doctors. There are those of us who do not have scientific backgrounds, but are everyday horse owners who found our way to ECIR when we didn’t know where to turn.

Bonnie

Is there a file containing Dr. Kellon's statement about this group, and the list of volunteers and what they do? It would be useful to direct horse owners and vets to, when we say "We know about this terrific group with so much information" and they roll their eyes...You know they are thinking "Yeah, right, another internet group!"

This is Not Just Another Group.

Bonnie Ivey, Ontario 12/08

Lad, IR, PPID

janieclougher@...

That is a brilliant idea, Bonnie!   In the meantime, people can send their vets and friends to the ecirhorse.org website, because there one can see not only information about PPID and IR, but the proceedings of the 2013 conference, info about the most recent conference, and a bio of Dr. Kellon. The Yahoo Internet Group is the extension of that (fairly official-looking) website, as opposed to being a "chat" group.

You are so right!  This is Not Just Another Group!

---In EquineCushings@..., <bon.ivey@...> wrote :

Is there a file containing Dr. Kellon's statement about this group, and the list of volunteers and what they do? It would be useful to direct horse owners and vets to, when we say "We know about this terrific group with so much information" and they roll their eyes...You know they are thinking "Yeah, right, another internet group!"

This is Not Just Another Group.

Bonnie Ivey, Ontario 12/08

Lad, IR, PPID

Donna Coughlin

Absolutely, it's always about the animals! But I have never seen a group of volunteers who are so knowledgable, so dedicated and so hard-working. I just want to add my thanks and everlasting gratitude to Dr. Kellon as well as all the other volunteers who have educated me for the sake of all three of my horses, and who have most definitely saved Duke's life. And therefore given me and my family so much unbelievable joy!

Many, many thanks!

Donna Coughlin, Duke, Robin and Obi
CT 2009

Dear ECIR Volunteers

I just wanted to say a heartfelt thanks.

My mare was diagnosed at 16, and is still doing remarkably well - albeit on 9 Pergolide a day, which makes me poor but happy - thanks in large part to this group, and to my vet being completely willing to embrace the group’s recommendations.

Wishing all PPID horses access to the experttise you all so lovingly share.

Whenever I hear someone complain about the nastiness they encounter on groups on the net, I say, You should abide by the rules of the ECIR group - it’s always a pleasure to be part of this group.

HUge thanks and big love

Biddy O’Connor
Sussex, UK

Fie Danish Warmblood mare 24 years old

On 26 Jan 2016, at 19:42, drkellon@... [EquineCushings] <EquineCushings@...> wrote:

[...]

Nancy C

Dear Biddy

Thank you for writing today. You have made my day.  I'm sorry Prasend is so expensive but so very glad it is working for Fie.

The focus of what the nonprofit does is to make sure all equine caregivers who need help are able to find ECIR, the recs the group makes and why they work.

Thank you so much for your support.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Group Mod
Treasurer/Director
February 2003

---In EquineCushings@..., <biddy@...> wrote :

Dear ECIR Volunteers

I just wanted to say a heartfelt thanks.

My mare was diagnosed at 16, and is still doing remarkably well - albeit on 9 Pergolide a day, which makes me poor but happy - thanks in large part to this group, and to my vet being completely willing to embrace the group’s recommendations.

Wishing all PPID horses access to the experttise you all so lovingly share.

Whenever I hear someone complain about the nastiness they encounter on groups on the net, I say, You should abide by the rules of the ECIR group - it’s always a pleasure to be part of this group.

HUge thanks and big love

Biddy O’Connor
Sussex, UK

Fie Danish Warmblood mare 24 years old

janieclougher@...

Biddy, you have totally made my day as well. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Big hugs to you and Fie.