The DIY styrofoam boots for fast relief.. a question

LJ Friedman

I watched  the video on how to make the styrofoam pads for immediate relief.. How do these compare to the relief that clouds give?  equal? less than..? etc...
--
LJ Friedman  Nov 2014  San Diego, CA

.https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/LJ%20and%20Jesse

LJ, I couldn't say, myself. I have heard of great relief from both approaches. If anyone out there has done the styrofoam while waiting for the Clouds or Soft Rides to arrive, and can then compare the two, that would be fab.  I think the big thing is that one doesn't usually have boots on hand, so the styrofoam is a good first response type of help.
--
Jaini Clougher (BSc, BVSc)
Merlin (over the bridge), Maggie, Gypsy, Ranger

Nancy C

Edited

In personal conversation with Bowker, he has found the greatest amount of blood profusion, which addresses pain, comes with soft pads -- like memory foam.  Using styro is a pinch is great and I have done that. Mostly, I kept interlocking memory foam mats from the big box hardware stores on hand for Beau. Still do. Last time I bought a set it was $20 for four mats which made many pads to line the Easy Boots, Cavallos, Soft Ride, Old Mac, you-name-it-boots, I used.

Just a reminder if you are using the Soft Ride boots make sure you cut out the frog wedge.  Constant pressure on the frog inhibits the functioning it is supposed to do for blood perfusion and energy dissipation.

The best way to deal with pain, as Dr Kellon spoke of in the last couple of days, is find and address the trigger and get the foot trimmed correctly to the needed physiology, aligning the bones and soft tissues within the hoof capsule.  Use conformable surfaces like round pea stone or sand (make sure it doesn't pack down).  Pea stone is best also shown by Bowker's blood profusion research and in my experience. Once your diet is tested and balanced if you still need help,  bring on jiaogulan.

Can you tell I am doing 2017 NO Laminitis! proceedings? Hope to have them *soon*, goddess willing and the creek don't rise.  Proceedings from 2013 and 2015 address most of what we talk about here on a daily basis and are available for free download at www.ecirhorse.org.

Ferne -- I am going to go look up why you did not receive yours.  Sometime the cyber world just gets in the way.
--
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

Learn the facts about IR, PPID, equine nutrition, exercise and the foot
ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
ecirhorse.org

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 07:50 am, Nancy C wrote:
I kept interlocking memory foam mats from the big box hardware stores on hand for Beau. Still do. Last time I bought a set it was $20 for four mats which made many pads to line the Easy Boots, Cavallos, Soft Ride, Old Mac, you-name-it-boots, I used.
Hi, Nancy.
I'm trying to understand the material you are describing. In general, memory foam seems to be thick material used in mattresses.

When I look at interlocking mats, they are described as EVA foam. https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/eva-foam

Here's a description of EVA foam mats (high impact strength), Polyethylene mats (closed cell foam), and polyurethane mats (open cell foam). https://www.greatmats.com/foam-flooring/eva-vs-pe-vs-pu-know-your-foam-matting-materials.php

I think you're describing EVA foam mats. Polyethylene is vey expensive - that wonderful stuff inside those pricey kitchen mats.
--
Cass for Cayuse (PPID/IR) and Diamond (not)
Sonoma County, Calif. Oct. '12

Lorna Cane

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 09:46 am, Cass Bernstein wrote:
Polyethylene is vey expensive - that wonderful stuff inside those pricey kitchen mats.
I've tried one of those,too.
Nice thing is that after a pad squishes down ,it will rebound if left in the sun for a bit.

The others will do that,too, but not as many times.

--

Lorna in Eastern Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

Nancy C

Yes. EVA foam.  Sorry for any confusion.
--
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

Learn the facts about IR, PPID, equine nutrition, exercise and the foot
ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
ecirhorse.org

ferne fedeli

I tried it again from ecirhorse.com and I got the same result--or lack thereof--I immediately got the receipt, but never got the download...

--

 Ferne Fedeli

No. California

Regional Members Database Coordinator

 - see who is near you

Add your contact information if you want to help out/meet ECIR members in your area.

Case History

--

Ferne Fedeli

No. California

Regional Members Database Coordinator

 - see who is near you

Add your contact information if you want to help out/meet ECIR members in your area.

Case History

Cindy Q

I use eva foam interlocking gym type mats too (inside easyboot clouds) and they work quite well.
--
Cindy - Sep 2017, Singapore

Francis

I ordered the clouds for my girl but I found the EVA-foam inlay actually still pretty firm. I made emergency-shoes with something else I found at the hardwarestore, which was not the same as styrofoam but it did has a similar 'softness' so the hoof can 'sink' into it. I also found mats of eva foam and tried those too.  My girl defenately preferred the foam from the hardware store, with the EVAfoam pads she was more tenderfooted. I've tried the same materials in Easyboot Simple I could borrow from a friend and again, she was better on the white foam fom the hardware store than on the EVA foam. Now my Eva foam was thinner than what is in the Clouds, but when making the emergenc shoes I also tried two layers. But both my DIY's and the ones in the Cloud didn't 'give' enough to get my girl comfortable. Because issues with the seller of the clouds and the fact that I only got one when I ordered two, I sent the Cloud back and went with the Easyboot Simple with home made inlays. First made of the foam, but since hoofs and boots become damp when wearing 24/7, I now use a double layer of felt underlay carpet. This works perfect! Soft enough for my girls feet, takes up the moist and I can switch them regularly, wash them and re-use them. Costs are almost nothing, you can buy it off the roll and a small piece gives you plenty of pads to go a long time.  For us, this works better, the Easyboots also have a better fit for my girls feet, but of course that all depends on the shape of the feet.

--
Francis

May 2017, Deventer, Netherlands

Case History will follow soon.

Nancy C

Great info Francis, and right in line with Dr Bowker's dopler research.  They measured blood flow to the foot while standing on concrete. The flow was significantly diminished. Just placing the foot on a wash cloth gave significant improvement, returning to almost normal. Continued testing of various types of footings gave results that offered greater blood flow.

You gave a great example of watching the horse for signs of what they require.  IME that is critical.  And it can change.  There were times when Beau did not want to stand on the pea stone or sand. He would go stand on the platforms I used for his hay.

You can read more about blood flow and nerves on the 2013 and 2015 NO Laminitis! proceedings.
--
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

Learn the facts about IR, PPID, equine nutrition, exercise and the foot
ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
ecirhorse.org

Hi Nancy,

I have been reading your posts on foam mats. I have Soft Ride boots on my gelding and I am looking for replacement pads when I need them. With the EVA foam mats as in big box stores, after I cut out the correct size, do I cut out the part where the frog will be completely? The foam liners in the Soft Ride boots are flat and leave the impression in the liner of  the frog when I remove the boot.

I will appreciate any help you can give me.
--
Lynn and Harley

Oct. 2010

New Mexico

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynn%20and%20Harley
https://ecir.groups.io/g/casehistory/album?id=16054
https://ecir.groups.io/g/casehistory/album?id=948

Nancy C

Hi Lynn -

In my earlier message I was referring to the wedge that is attached to some of the Soft Ride pads

https://www.softrideboots.com/

I did not routinely cut out a wedge area from a flat pad.  I was usually using a flat pad cut to the shape of the foot/boot. There may be times when they appreciate that, if you can keep the rest of the pad in place with vet wrap or duct tape.
--
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

Learn the facts about IR, PPID, equine nutrition, exercise and the foot
ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
ecirhorse.org

Thanks Nancy, I now understand what you were saying. When getting a replacement pad, what material do you suggest, EVA Foam Mats and at what thickness.

Thanks again,
--
Lynn and Harley

Oct. 2010

New Mexico

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynn%20and%20Harley
https://ecir.groups.io/g/casehistory/album?id=16054
https://ecir.groups.io/g/casehistory/album?id=948

Nancy C

Hi Lynn

I just bought "anti-fatigue" mats - aka eva - from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Becasue they were so inexpensive and gave many pads for the ~$20, I could experiment with cutting out, adding, doubling up, etc., depending on what made Beau happy.