22 y.o. Arab Gelding Diagnosed w Acute Laminitis - Attn Adrienne

Adrienne,
I do not want to sound pushy with this post....however, I have just finished reading your posts about your horse and all of the helpful replies from other members. I know a moderator sent you the "Welcome to the group" package. Please take the time to make a signature for yourself and start the first online steps of documentation. People really want to give you advice that is appropriate for your horse and your communications with vet and farrier. But we really need you to help us help you. I am including an excerpt from our Wiki pages that is specific to new members. Anything in blue text is clickable. I hope you can manage to get started with a signature and joining the case history group. Welcome, I am glad you found this group!

Steps for Getting Support:

1. Download and fill out the Case History Form.  Without a case history the support team cannot help you. If you are using a tablet or smartphone to access the group and cannot download the form Click here and request an email with the Case History Form attached. Then go here for further device-based instructions.

2. Join our Case Histories sub-group. The blue “Join This Group” button is located at the bottom of the page.

3. Follow the case history file naming and uploading instructions located at the bottom of the Case History form

4. Make your ECIR Signature. The support team needs to know who you are, your general location, the date you joined the group and the links to your case history and photos. Use the automatic signature feature to include these details at the bottom of all your posts.

5. Start a new message in the ECIR Forum and post your questions.

6. While waiting for a reply start helping your equine right now by reading the New Member Files

7. Go to the The ECIR Wiki and read the pages marked with a red asterisk for rules and instructions to help you navigate our group and to properly post your information. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.

Information about PPID, IR and our DDT+E approach to managing these conditions is at ecirhorse.org. You can also follow us on our Facebook page.

--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

MPA Justa Tstar

Hi Bonnie.

Thank you for reaching out & i & I haven't found anyone to be "pushy", but rather compassionate & informative...

Candidly, I have been corresponding from my iPhone & my other option is a Mac- which requires other software to be downloaded & the process is a bit overwhelming.

While PJ may not be a "case study" as a result, I'm very thankful for the site & the wealth of information.  Additionally, I am deeply touched by all the people that have contacted me in this format & privately. ( you all know who you are & God Bless!!)

At this time, I have changed farriers & I have a different vet coming to recheck PJ's Insulin, Glucose & ACTH levels tomorrow as Per the recommended testing guidelines.

I'm happy to report he does not appear to be getting worse. He is bright, alert, & happily munching on Triple Crown safe starch forage.

Perhaps there will will be a time in the future when circumstances permit me to add PJ as a case study, but for now I am really doing the best I can & I have to find some peace in that.

Thank you,

Adrienne

Hi, Adrienne - I have just been dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, by virtue of getting an iphone (my elderly not-so-smart blackberry finally bit the dust).  Not only could I not upload a case history on it, I can't even answer a phone call on the friggin' thing!

So, here is what you should do.  Email me with PJ's data: date of birth (known or approximate); height, weight, breed (well, I know that!).  On pasture, yes or no, and how many hours a day. In a stall, or a shelter and run-out, how many hours a day. All foods fed, every little thing you have fed him for the last year. Date you started feeding the item (approx is fine) and date you stopped feeding it (if you have stopped). Any blood work results. Date of laminitis. Any other illnesses or issues. Any physical signs such as goopy eyes, cresty neck, swollen sheath, excessive smegma, excessive drinking and peeing.  Once I get that info, I will put it into the case history and upload. Your job, then, will be to figure out how to do an automatic signature from your mac or your iphone (I would try the mac first).

You are doing a great job, and if we can get the case history up and running it will help you to do even better.

Glad he is feeling perky!
--
Jaini Clougher (BSc, BVSc)
Merlin (over the bridge), Maggie, Gypsy, Ranger

Cassie & Cleo

I only have an iPhone to use, and I was able to fill out, and upload, my case file from my phone.  I just followed the instructions on the file for uploading. Summary of file :You have to download Word app (free) to your phone, then either email the file to LeeAnne at archives, or like I did, email it to myself, then save it on my phone’s local drive, then upload it to the group.

Its frustrating a bit to do it on the small screen, but the case file form looks more complicated at first glance, then it actually is.

Good luck. This group saved my mare this past winter; I can’t say enough good things about following the prescribed protocols, including case file and photos, and the advice :)