Deworming for tape worms

Stephanie Emery <rhillranch@...>

I wormed Traveler last month with Ivermectin, but he has not been wormed for tape worms in a couple of years. He is a little on the thin side and I am wondering if it would be a good idea to rule it out. Tri amino has just been added that may help with his weight also. He is in a good mood and is moving around (slowly) without his boots, because it is muddy. His appetite is great.  I just purchased a load of pyrantal pamoate for my boarders. Do you recommend a double dose for him and if so, what could be some adverse reactions I would look for. Also, if he did have a reaction, what would be my first course of action  so I can be ready. I did read the deworming files.
--
Stephanie E    January 2018
Harvard Illinois   Traveler

Hi, Stephanie - I would definitely address a potential tapeworm issue. They often don't show up in fecals. Your best bet (ie, the most effective method) is to use a daily dose of Strongid C for a month. This has been shown to be safe and effective. Alternatively, the double-dose strongid is an option, but be sure to give a NSAID a couple of hours before dosing, and the day after as well.

Adverse reactions can include colic and temporary loss of appetite.
--
Jaini Clougher (BSc, BVSc)
Merlin (over the bridge), Maggie, Gypsy, Ranger

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 10:40 pm, Jaini Clougher wrote:
Your best bet (ie, the most effective method) is to use a daily dose of Strongid C for a month.
My horse appears to be healthy and stable, but may not have had appropriate treatment for tapes in the past. Like Stephanie, I want to get it right, but I'm not at all familiar with daily dose deworming.

Is Strongid C the same product as Strongid C 2x for the purposes of a 30-day use for tapes?

I see 80-day supplies of Strongid C 2x easily available. Do you know if it is available in smaller supplies, like for 30 days, or do people just get the 80-day and have left over?

--
MaryS and Hoover

Sept. 2016,  South Central PA

Hoover's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Mary%20and%20Hoover/Hoover%20Case%20History%202017%2003%2023.pdf

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=4749  .

celestinefarm

Mary, yes, Strongid C and C2x are the same active ingredient. C2x is double strength, so you don't have to give as much. Most buckets of C2x have two year shelf lives, so you can buy the bucket, keep it in a dry cool location and you'll  have your next dose.
Here in Michigan, tapes are a major problem (something like 90% of horses in studies are infected). So I worm for tapes in both the spring and fall. I use Strongid C2x for Tipperary in the spring for a month, and I have also used Equimax ( prazinquantel/Ivermectin) in him and have not had problems. I use it in my other horses and have used it in youngsters. I have used Zimecterin Gold , which has the same active ingredients but in different percentages and experienced horses being off the next day or two. I have avoided using it since for that reason.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Lorna Cane

When I used the feed-through I just got enough for 30 days.

--

Lorna in Eastern Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

Dawn and Lorna, thanks for the useful info.
I'll get on this right away.
--
MaryS and Hoover

Sept. 2016,  South Central PA
Hoover's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Mary%20and%20Hoover/Hoover%20Case%20History%202017%2003%2023.pdf

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=4749  .

Deborah Ide

I have not seen it in amounts for just 30 days. Where did you purchase it?

--
Deborah
November 2012

Lorna Cane

Oh,sorry,Deborah.       It was several years ago,and I should have gone to the site before I said anything.
It was Jeffers,and it was the tub I bought,so must have been 80 - day supply.