Grower/seller produced cold-milled flax

After I moved to Michigan I had a hard time finding a source of pre-milled flax seed.  For those of us who board our horses it makes it much easier to set up our horse's supplements/minerals if we can find pre-milled flax seed. The only brand I found was sold in very small buckets. There literally are no Triple Crown dealers in this part of the state.

I learned from another local horsewoman that she purchases milled (no heat involved) flax seed from this farm/mill - https://www.ndflaxmill.com/
Their prices include the shipping costs. Just wanted to pass this along. Hope it helps someone.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

celestinefarm

Bonnie, Triple Crown sells ground flax in 25 lb bags with a two year shelf life on it's website. Free shipping. I order it as it is less expensive than buying Horseshine from Tractor Supply.

Go to the website, click on Products, click on online store, product will appear. I get mine here in lower Michigan by UPS usually in two days.

https://www.triplecrownfeed.com/store/#!/Naturals-Golden-Ground-Flax/p/73624756/category=0

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Pam.palominopony@...

Hey Bonnie!

do you buy the yellow or brown flaxseed?

Pam in Va
12/10
Butters and Frosty over the bridge
Roscoe PPID and Story IR

Stephanie Emery

Bonnie, thanks for the information. I'm currently feeding pure flaxseed oil but I'm going to look into this product which could be more economical.
--
Rhillranch Stephanie                Traveler Jan 2018 Harvard IL. Usa    Tucker,Wilson,BlackJack,Cruiser  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Stephanie%20and%20Traveler.            https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=22149

ferne fedeli

--

Ferne Fedeli

No. California

Regional Members Database Coordinator

 - see who is near you

Add your contact information if you want to help out/meet ECIR members in your area.

Case History

ferne fedeli

Dawn, when I used your link, Triple Crown said it was $50 for the 25 lb. bag.  I don't REALLY think it is "free shipping", as I only pay $30 a bag for it at my local feed store!!!
--

Ferne Fedeli

No. California

Regional Members Database Coordinator

 - see who is near you

Add your contact information if you want to help out/meet ECIR members in your area.

Case History

celestinefarm

Hi Ferne,
The only in store flax available to me in a 100 mile area is Horseshine, which is currently $49 for a 20 lb bag at Tractor Supply. Sometimes they have it , sometimes they don't. As Bonnie mentioned, Manna Pro is sold at Farm and Family and some local feed stores in 4 pound buckets, for around $12.
The closest Triple Crown dealer to me is over an hour away, and they special order the flax, as they don't stock it. Which means I have to call and wait two to four weeks, then drive a 2 hour round trip to pick up.
I looked at Bonnie's link to this private farm that sells milled flax. They are asking $61 with free shipping for a 25 lb bag of flax. The Triple Crown would be a better price for her, as she said she has no dealer within reasonable distance.

You're lucky you get a 25 lb bag for $30. I have a friend in Chicago who gave me the heads up several years ago about Triple Crown as she also was paying about the same as I was for Horseshine. Distribution is a serious obstacle for many of these manufacturers and costs get reflected in that.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Donna Coughlin

Dawn,

I would think that many feed stores that carry Triple Crown products could get this flax, though of course not all might be willing. I pay $29.95 for the same bag at my local Agway (a CT /NY feed/garden store chain).

It's so much less expensive than all the other options. I've been feeding it for years and never had it go rancid even during hot summer weather.

--

Donna Coughlin, Duke, Robin Goodfellow, Ariel Max and Obi over the Rainbow Bridge (5/17)

CT 2009

Karen Warne

Horsetech makes my custom mix using their flax as a base, but you can buy the flax separately and they deliver quickly for free... with a bag of chocolate chip cookies for you.

https://horsetech.com/nutraflax
--

Karen and Luke

May 1 2017

Northern California

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Luke

Edited

Pam, I don't think there is any difference between the two seeds but perhaps someone knows that for sure? I do know that I preferred buying whole and fresh grinding it when horse's were at home. Boarding changes so much.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

That isn't too bad of a price. Of course it is far, far cheaper if you can buy it locally!

--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

I just did a search on "golden vs brown" flax seed. I have noticed that all the pre-ground flax that I have bought in bags or buckets has been "golden" in color so this seems to be preferred by the equine feed mfgrs. I just read on several web sites that Golden flax does have a better and milder taste than the brown flax. Other than that the content of the seeds are pretty much the same. One site recommended looking for whole seeds that are "plump" versus flat as they have a higher oil content??? Really?
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Cindy Galloway

I live about 50 miles west of Chicago in a town called Campton Hills or St Charles. We have trellis Feed and Supply which will sell you a 50lb bag of flaxseed for I believe $45. You can also buy the smaller bags of 10 lb for $9. I believe they ship. Let me know if I can help you further with information about these products. This is just straight flax seed not yet put through the coffee grinder.
--
- Cindy
November 2017, Campton Hills, Illinois

Quattro
  • Case Histories
  • Photo Album
Yellow Horse
  • Case History
  • Photo Album

ferne fedeli

I didn't mention that my feed dealer is 2.5 hours away!!!  I go over once a month to stock up & usually do Costco & Trader Joes too...  What we do for our animals...

--

Ferne Fedeli

No. California

Regional Members Database Coordinator

 - see who is near you

Add your contact information if you want to help out/meet ECIR members in your area.

Case History

I have personally found that the olumb golden seeds taste much better than the flat brown ones.  I eat them in cereal.

Gail Russell Forestville CA.  Brother PPID.  Juky 2008

Gail Russell 8/30/2008

 https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Gail%20and%20Brother%20-%20Odin%20-%20Decaffe%20%20-Gunthar .

Frances C.

Evans Feed Madera Ca. sells 50 lb. whole flax seed for $27.50. This is 'feed grade - not for human consumption'. A feed store in Ellensburg. Wa. sells A 40 lb. bag for $39.00. Human grade requires more thorough cleaning methods and uses the higher quality of seeds - more oil in them . I think all flax comes from Canada. Hope the price remains somewhat stable.
--
- Frances C.
December 2017, Washington & California

I found some beautiful ground flax from my state of ND, the link is below. 50 pound bag will last for a long time! Free shipping, bag was  more expensive than what I have seen in this thread, but I think great quality.

https://www.stevensfarm.com/collections/featured/products/cold-milled-ground-flax-for-animal-feed-50-lb-bags

--
Mary and Halo and Wellon

West Fargo, ND, USA

Joined April 2016

Halo's Case History

Halo's Photos

ladyofthewood3@...

I went through the process of trying to source flax for a horse with extreme sweet itch a few years ago.  I was consulting with Dr Wendy Pearson who did the research on Omegas and sweet itch.  I could not find any whole flax locally in the feed mills, but what I could find was organic flax meal, that is a by-product of the food grade oil industry.  The company I sourced it from did analysis regularly and there was always close to 25% oil, which was approx to what the seeds held in the research.  She felt the meal was a very sound source of the oil.  If it is industrially produced it has to be organic tho, because solvents are used to extract the oil in non-organic products and they only have about 1-2% oil content.  She also was not as concerned with it going rancid as many are.

I later found a local home based flax oil producer and bought the meal from her.  It is not organic but also not a very sophisticated press.  I can get 20lbs for $20 CDN and I keep it in my freezer.  It is like a crumble where as the organic meal was hard pressed and I think would always have to be soaked well.

On the different seed colours.....the organic was brown and the home based one was golden.  My sweet itch horse definitely preferred the brown...he eventually stopped eating the golden, but would always eat the brown.

Here is a line from her bio..."Wendy studies neutraceuticals (foods with medicinal properties) and non-drug veterinary pharmaceuticals"

Heather and Rosie
Ontario, Canada
Dec 2017
Rosie's Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Heather%20and%20Rosie
Hoof photos   https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=15867&p=pcreated,,,20,1,0,0

Lorna Cane

I get whole flax from my feed store. But Bulk Barn also carries it.

--

Lorna in Eastern Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

ladyofthewood3@...

Yes, but they are very, very expensive relatively speaking from Bulk Barn.   At least at my local store......  No feed store that was local carried them whole.  Bio Ag is who I ended up getting them from in Organic pressed form.  They  deliver locally.