Reasons for hoof soreness

Stephanie Stout

Howdy!

I'm trying to think of all the reasons why King's feet might be sore. He isn't actively 'foundering' but I think there's some inflammation in his hooves as he's very sore. He did founder severely back in 2014 when his ACTH was off the charts. His latest ACTH came back at 25 pg/mL and his Insulin came back at 35 uIU/mL from Cornell. He's currently on 14mg of Compounded Pergolide from Pet Health and a low s/s grain(just a handful with his Vitamin E, salt). I'm working on getting him to eat the mineral mix(Mr. Picky). The previous hay he was on all fall/winter had high Iron, 365 ppm, so could that of been making his feet sore? It was low s/s, but I just switched him to a different low s/s hay that has lower Iron and sugar(6.7% ESC + starch).

So, what is there that can cause foot soreness besides ACTH? Can mineral levels, specifically Iron, cause sore feet when it is unbalanced?
-
Stephanie & King
October 2014
Oregon
Case History

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

What's been going on with him since 2014?  Did he become sound and just recently go sore again or ?????

You seem to have diagnosis and appropriate diet and drugs in place. Is your mineral mix balanced to your current hay? Any drugs beside the pergolide?  What about trim?  Exercise?

Stephanie Stout

Hi Dr. Kellon,

Thanks for replying! He went almost 100% sound in summer, 2015 and then became sore again this winter/spring. I figured it was because of the really cold temperatures(significantly below zero) so I put him on AAKG and ALCAR, and thought/hoped he would get better when it got warmer. Well, it's warmer and he's still quite sore. Exercise is just him limping around his paddock now because he's too sore to go on walks. No NSAIDS or any other drugs besides the Pergolide and his supplements/herbs. His feet don't feel abnormally warm(I check them all the time). You balanced my hay, and I got a custom mix from Uckele, which I'm trying to get him to eat...he absolutely hates it. I finally got him to eat a tiny bit this morning with much begging and mixing.

Regarding trim, his feet are tricky. He absolutely has to be in pads and shoes no matter what(it's been that way since he was young because of the work level and his previous owner whose farrier was the worst in the world!) so he gets them reset about every 6 weeks. He has very 'funky' feet regarding angles, they were whacked horribly with the previous owner, and while they have gotten better over the years before the laminitis, they are still not the ideal. Right now, he's in basic shoes, no clips, with a full-sole pad. Is there a different shoe you would recommend? Or do you think the Gel Impact Pads could possibly help? I know it's not the ideal situation with him having to be in shoes, so I'm trying to work with what he can do.

Am I missing something else that could be causing the problems?

Thank you!!

--
Stephanie & King
October 2014

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Could you post some photos of his feet?  It could be something as simple as the AAKG causing more rapid hoof growth so he needs more frequent trimming. Radiographs could be helpful too.

Paula Hancock

Hi Stephanie,

I may be missing something but if his Insulin came back at 35 uIU/mL from Cornell and he is on a low sugar/starch diet, the Freil IR calculator indicates that he is severe IR, high laminitis risk.  If I let my one horse get anywhere near 20, he will be foot sore, warm feet, etc.

Best regards,

-Paula with Cory and Onyx, both IR

Bucks County, PA, USA