18yr old Morgan mare

Stephanie

Hi everyone,
I'm so grateful this group exists so thank you ahead of time!
I'm brand new and may not have completed the registration correctly, so I read someone else's welcome letter and a lot of the attachments. My first question right now is about exercise. I'll work on completing the profile and uploading pictures and xrays, but may I please ask, should I handwalk my horse for a half hour in an arena without boots? The footing is that expensive soft stuff and it's not deep. She's on 1 gram of bute, will have a second corrective trim tomorrow, is on stall pads and deep bedding, and is wearing Soft Ride boots for night turnout in a very small dry lot.
Thanks so much,

Stephanie in Maryland 2022

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Stephanie,

We don't recommend forcing exercise but if the horse walks along willingly and is not lame there's no problem.  Better to get her completely off the bute.

Hi Stephanie,
You definitely deserve your own welcome letter so I checked to see where it was.  You can find it here.  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/280543

You had asked a question about vitamin E and your welcome followed it.
--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Sherry Morse

Hi Stephanie,

Until your mare is off Bute and sound I wouldn't be forcing her to walk, especially not without boots.  It doesn't matter how expensive or soft the footing is - you want her to be sound and comfortable moving before starting any forced exercise.