Hay Analysis Back - safe for IR/PPID?

Stephanie Stout

Hey all!

Can someone please take a look, and let me know if this hay would be safe for IR/PPID horses? If I'm reading it correctly, the ESC is 7.9 and the starch is .3(both from the 'As Sampled' column). It is an Orchard/bluegrass/native grass mix.

Is this safe to feed? Do you see any issues with it?

I took a screen shot of the results, which should be right below. (Hopefully)

Thanks so much.

--
Stephanie & King
October 2014

Stephanie Stout

I don't think the image came through so maybe try this link? I uploaded it to my CH(hope that's okay).

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Stephanie%20and%20King/Capture.PNG

--
Stephanie & King
October 2014

Nancy C

Hi Stephanie

Looks to be okay.  Can be balanced. Will need to up the Calcium b/c Phos is high.  Will also need Magnesium. Iron is high but doable. Protein a little high but not outrageously.
--
Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org

LeeAnne Bloye <ecir.archives@...>

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 01:43 pm, Stephanie Stout wrote:
I uploaded it to my CH(hope that's okay).

 Hi Stephanie,

It would be best if you uploaded the original pdf as photos (.png, .jpeg etc) use up so much more data space.

In your case history folder there are now folders for your blood work and hay analysis and put your documents in them.

You can find out what goes where in the Case History site here.

If you are having problems with your case history you can always ask here in the messages or email me. :-)
--

- ​LeeAnne, Newmarket, Ontario - Email me

ECIR Archivist 03/2004

Are you in the Pergolide Dosage Database?

View the Database Stats
Dawn's 10 Year Case History
Taken For Granite Art - Lightweight Cement Sculpture and Memorials

Stephanie Stout

Thanks for looking at it, Nancy. Is there a specific chart or file you look at to determine if the hay is appropriate? Like what the ideal mineral levels should be? I will have 2 other fields' results coming in, so is there a way I can determine if they are safe for IR and PPID horses without having to bother you? (I feel guilty for bothering you each time I get results in since I have several different hay fields)

LeeAnne, I will go delete the photo and change it to a PDF(and put it in the new folder you created). Thanks for the help!

--
Stephanie & King
October 2014

Nancy C

Hi Stephanie

First order of biz for diagnosed IR horses is ESC and Starch.  In general under 10 percent total ESC and Starch.  Fringe results, like 8 percent ESC or 3+ percent starch can be a problem for individual horses.

Protein, digestibility, minerals, etc., add their complications but the above is where to start.

NRC recommendations will give you bare minimum levels.  Dr Kellon recommends 150% of that as a starting base for optimum health but individual cases require more study of details. It's why we want to see Case Histories.

To make life easier, recommend studying with Dr Kellon and her NRC Plus course. Worth it many times the price.