panting and heat and cushings

LJ Friedman

Can a horse in no work that just stays in his  breezeway stall due to blindness, pant just because of uncontrolled cushings?   ( it his hot.. 90 plus degrees in so cal.) I know cold/heat regulation is affected by cushings.. I'm not sure if panting w/o sweating can be another sign of uncontrolled ppid... ( Jesse never panted so I have no experience with lack of cushings control and panting..
--

LJ Friedman San Diego Nov 2014

LJ Friedman

I did a panting search on ecir.. 9 hits came up, but I didnt see any info. Plenty of info on panting and dogs. not much on the web either, related to panting and cushings
--

LJ Friedman San Diego Nov 2014

Lorna Cane

I can't speak to the panting,with so few details.

But I've had 2 blind horses .They were able to be out with their friends. Maybe this horse would benefit from being able to move around.

We need to  move this to Horsekeeping if  the 'blindness' issue is continued.

There are also several groups for Blind Horses.

--

Lorna in Eastern Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/PPID%20and%20IR%20Success%20Stories/Success%20Story%20%233%20-%20Lorna%20and%20Ollies%20Story.pdf

Donna Powell

Hello, have you checked for being over heated? I too live where the temps. have actually reached 100. My draft was not sweating and would pant. Also a respiratory allergy will make them pant big time, more so than being over heated. Both have happened to my horse. Start by taking his temperature calling a vet too.
Donna, Beaufort, SC, NRCPlus0213, NRCTherapy0413
HISTORY 8-will find new link shortly

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 22:44, LJ Friedman via Groups.io
<luke4275@...> wrote:
Can a horse in no work that just stays in his  breezeway stall due to blindness, pant just because of uncontrolled cushings?   ( it his hot.. 90 plus degrees in so cal.) I know cold/heat regulation is affected by cushings.. I'm not sure if panting w/o sweating can be another sign of uncontrolled ppid... ( Jesse never panted so I have no experience with lack of cushings control and panting..
--

LJ Friedman San Diego Nov 2014

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

It sounds like he's panting because of anhidrosis, inability to sweat and therefore inability to cool himself normally.  Anhidrosis can be a symptom of PPID but can also occur without it.