Compounding Pharmacies #pergolidestrength

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Speaking of compounding pharmacies, if you really want to check them out:

  • When you call, make sure you are ONLY speaking to a licensed pharmacist. In most states, it is actually illegal for anyone else to answer your questions.
  • If the pharmacy is not located in your state, ask if they have a nonresident license to sell drugs in your state then verify with your own board of pharmacy. If they don't, you could find your supply cut off with no warning. That has happened to members here.
  • Check with the board of pharmacy to see if there have been any complaints/disciplinary actions involving the pharmacy. These are a matter of public record but not always the easiest thing to find online.
  • Ask what other states the pharmacy may have been located in before, other names it may have operated under, and repeat the same process of asking that pharmacy board about problems.

Nancy C

Edited

Thank you Dr Kellon.

These recommendations warrant reposting and marking with a hashtag so they can be more easily found when needed.

Please also know ECIR is a very tempting target for marketers of all products.  It is why ECIR has set very high standards for folks who are Benefactors, why ECIR does not allow advertising, and why ECIR encourages everyone to learn how to ask good questions.

If we want to keep compounded pergolide a viable option for our horses, it is incumbent upon all of us to make sure we are dealing with reputable pharmacies.  By asking these questions, one can make a much more informed decision.

Thanks again, Dr Kellon.

--
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

LJ Friedman

 In the USA, Shouldn't Pets Health be our go to pharmacy for cp?   ( even though they didn't offer a donation when I asked last year)
--
LJ Friedman  Nov 2014  San Diego, CA

Jesse's Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

First, donation has nothing to do with a company's product quality or suitability so shouldn't be a consideration.

It's not our place to nominate a "go to" pharmacy. We can't possibly keep track of all pharmacies or test all their products. That said, members are free to share their individual experiences and especially objective information such as drug testing.