Compounding pharmacies & titraing up dosage of pergolide

Saucier Kathy

Thank you Lavinia for the link for compounding pharmacies.

I have two questions.

Many years ago I received my pergolide from Ian Hudgings with Vet Pet Solutions/Thriving Pets.

Have they changed their name or are they in existence?  This one was not listed.

Secondly I found a message in the archives about starting at .25 mg and going up every 3 or 4 days by another .25 until reaching the 1 mg prescribed.  So will the pharmacies issue some number of .25mg and 1 mg capsules?  I calculate I would need 18 of the .25mg to start there and add another .25mg each 3 days until I reach the time to start 1 mg.

Thanks,

Kathy Saucier

Texas

Grayson

2005/2018

Hi Kathy, Thriving Pets moved to Pennsylvania a year or so ago. They have many different dosages of pergolide mesylate available, and will sell you whatever quantity you need. Here is the link to their website: http://www.thrivingpets.com/
Questions: Please call ThrivingPets.com at (303) 333-1899

Stephanie and Fury, Colorado, 2009

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Stephanie%20and%20Fury

Paula Hancock

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 05:12 PM, Saucier Kathy wrote:
I have two questions
Hi Kathy,
You can search the previous messages on Thriving Pets to get more information:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/search?q=Thriving+Pet

Yes, it is recommended to increase the dose by 0.25 mg increments to reach the target 1 mg.  There are different ways of doing that.  If your vet writes a prescription for whatever you need to do that, that is one way.  Another option is to open the 1 mg capsule, dissolve the powder into 10 mls of water, give 2.5 mls on day one, refrigerate the rest, and give 2.5 mls the next three days.  If your horse seems to tolerate that okay, then dissolve another cap as before and give 5 mls, store cold over night and give another 5 mls.  Repeat that to get four days at that dose.  Make sense?  You can also do the dose titration with Prascend if your vet will sell you whatever number of pills you need.  I am not sure what the most cost effective way to do it is.
Hope that helps!
--
Paula with Cory (IR & PPID?and Onyx (IR/PPID)

  and Remy (?)

Bucks County, PA, USA

ECIR Primary Response

NRCplus 2011  ECIR 2014

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Cory

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Onyx

Saucier Kathy

Thank you and yes it makes sense.
I just found the same advice in the archives this evening.
There is so much info available to us on this group.  Just takes time to find it and I have not had time to be online since all this came in with test results and such.
Thank you all for your help.
Kathy & Grayson
Texas
2005/2018